Windows 10: ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

Discus and support ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; Kari, you deserve a lot of credit for getting everyone's ideas together and placing them in an order we can follow. Your tutorials on 7,8 and 10 are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by lehnerus2000, Oct 22, 2014.

1. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

Kari, you deserve a lot of credit for getting everyone's ideas together and placing them in an order we can follow. Your tutorials on 7,8 and 10 are just informative and excellent. I have followed this twice on 2 virtual machines to extract the ISO to mail to a member who has metered high speed internet and costs would be prohibitive for him to download these. M$ will I am sure provide ISO files when 10 ships but with this method we can convert and save.

Indianatone, Oct 22, 2014
  2. strollin Win User

Just for the records, this is how tutorials are often made *Wink.

As is quite common with tutorials, the method told in this one is absolutely not invented nor found out by me. I got the original script from a friend in May when trying to find a way to create 8.1 install ISO from the ESD file and was getting frustrated when I did not find the right arguments and parameters to use with DISM to do it. Got the script as email attachment, the original script has none whatsoever information about the author. I only found out the original author after reading this post today. Thanks for that info!

I forgot the whole script until I stumbled upon this thread of fellow geek topgundcp ​yesterday. I thought that I have that script, edited and shortened for just creating the ISO, tested it with Build 9860 and it worked. Made the tutorial crediting topgundcp, not crediting the author of the original script because I did not know who had made it but making it clear that the tool is based on another script from another author. This from the beginning of the tutorial:

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File [​IMG]
    Information Thanks to our member topgundcp for the idea. This tutorial will use the decrypt script mentioned in his post, I have just edited the script to remove unnecessary code and corrected some errors and finally made these step by step instructions.
    Somehow I feel now I need to make this absolutely clear: I did not try to take credits for the idea nor the original esd-decrypter-v3 script. Credits where they belong.

Kari That's why I didn't thank anyone in particular since it was a team effort and I didn't want to start thanking individuals and risk missing someone.

strollin, Oct 22, 2014
  3. Kari Win User
    OK geeks, the results of all day extensive but still only preliminary testing. Your results, comments and opinions are highly valuated *Smile.

• Windows 8.1 in-place upgraded to Windows 10 TP Build 9841:
      • C:\RecoveryImage folder has the build 9841 install.wim file after upgrade to Windows 10 TP
      • When this setup is further upgraded to Build 9860, the C:\RecoveryImage folder has the build 9860 install.wim file after upgrade
    • Clean install of Windows 10 TP Build 9841
      • C:\RecoveryImage folder has the build 9841 install.esd file
      • When this setup is further upgraded to Build 9860, the C:\RecoveryImage folder has the build 9860 install.esd file after the upgrade

Interesting is that if the WMC is added to a cleanly installed Windows 10 TP Build 9841, the only way to get the Build 9860 upgrade to work is first to perform a repair install with build 9841 install media (in-place upgrade with same version). At this point the install status is changed from clean install to upgrade install and although the system was never upgraded from Windows 8.1, it now acts as if it was and creates the WIM file in C:\RecoveryImage instead of the ESD file as after the clean install.

Summary:
    • An upgrade from 8.1 to build 9841 and later builds creates the install.wim file for current build in C:\RecoveryImage folder, the method in this tutorial to create an ISO image cannot be used.
    • Installing Windows 10 TP clean uses ESD file format for upgrades, the method in this tutorial to create an ISO image can be used.

Next test install running as we speak, more later *Smile.

4. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

This Tut works perfectly Kari I successfully created the ISO and it installed flawlessly in VMware, Then I created a Win 10 installation USB and installed it to a real drive.

IownAmoneyPit, Oct 23, 2014
  5. Kari Win User
    *Wink.

To do this and get the upgrade in ESD format and about 30% smaller download on a Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 TP upgraded system, or on a Windows 10 TP system which has had at least one repair install, do the following before starting the upgrade build download from PC Settings > Update and recovery > Preview builds:

1.) Close all open applications, open Explorer, delete the following folders:

• C:\RecoveryImage
    • C:\$Windows.~BT (system folder, UAC asks your permission, click OK to accept deletion)
      • This is a hidden folder, be sure to enable showing Hidden Items, otherwise you won't see it and might forget to delete it *Wink
    2.) Delete the file C:\$UPG$PBR.MARKER (system file, UAC asks your permission, click OK to accept deletion), close the Explorer.

3.) Open the Registry Editor (WIN + R, type regedit, hit Enter), browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup

4.) Delete both the DWORD Upgrade (right pane) and KEY Upgrade (left pane), see screenshot. The system warns you that skies can fall down if you delete these items, just laugh loud and accept the deletion:

5.) Still in Registry Editor, browse to key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\Status\SysprepStatus, if either DWORD CleanupState or DWORD GeneralizationState has any other value than 7, change it to 7 by double clicking the DWORD in question and entering the new value:

6.) Close the Registry Editor

7.) Go to PC Settings > Update and recovery > Preview builds and start downloading the new build. When downloaded click Install. Be patient, it takes some time and worst part is there's no indicator to show how it's proceeding. In my tests now for instance after first reboot while installing the new build, I had 20 to 26 minutes (depending on if vm or real machine) a totally black screen with nothing on it, no pointer or indicator before next reboot.

That's it. The above process (steps 1 to 6) takes no longer than a minute or two, when I timed it I did the whole process in well under one minute. You can then upgrade to new build and create a bootable ISO as told in this tutorial for further installations.

Note To be prepared for the next build upgrade you might want to delete the file DONOTREPLACE.txt in C:\RecoveryImage. If the file is present when upgraded to next build the install.esd file will not be replaced with the new one. Windows will be upgraded but the esd file in Recoveryimage folder will remain build 9860.

6. topgundcp Win User
    @Superfly
    I've already tried and it did not work. However, If you download:
    WinReducer Wim Converter - WinReducer
    And convert the esd file into a wim file, overwrite the wim file in 9841 ISO then it will work. During installation it will say it is for Win 10 TP 9841 but the final result will be: 9860

NOTE: if you want to do it this way, make sure to make a copy of the esd file first because the conversion will replace the esd file with a wim file.

Cheers.

topgundcp, Oct 23, 2014
  7. Superfly Win User
    Oh right, thanx for confirming...seems this install.esd is a little different from previous then.

PS: Just playing devil's advocate... but there is a ESD->WIM script by the same author in case you are interested.

ESD <> WIM Conversion batch

Superfly, Oct 23, 2014
  8. Ztruker Win User

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File

Ran into a copuple problems trying to follow your 9860 prep tutorial.

First, there is no C:\$Windows.~BT folder. The other two were there.

No Upgrade key under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup and no I could not delete the Upgrade subkey.

Also, there was a lot of other stuff under the upgrade subkey.

That's as far as I got.

Ztruker, Oct 24, 2014
  9. Kari Win User
    Could you explain a bit more @Ztruker.

• What's the start situation? Windows 10 Technical Preview upgraded from Windows 8.1? Clean install of Windows 10 Build 9841?
    • Did you have Show hidden items enabled? C:\$Windows.~BT is a hidden folder.
    • Have you already downloaded the Build 9860 upgrade?

EDIT

@Ztruker: Reading your post here I think your issue is related to user rights and / or Group Policy settings. Please tell exactly what kind of install / setup you have (upgrade, clean, which build etc.), what kind and type of user account you are using and so on.

10. Burgurne Win User
    I'm sorry, but I have a new problem. *Redface

I got the files in the places you write in the tutorial, and using the downloaded program to change ESD to an bootable ISO works fine. But .... when trying to install from this new .ISO I ran into missing files in the install process!! The original downloaded file from Microsoft is 4.100.497.408 bytes, and the ISO-file created is 3.981.209.600 bytes. As I'm from Denmark, I choose Danish keyboard layout and Danish currency aso in the install process. Maybe something is missing, when selecting something else than English?

Burgurne, Oct 24, 2014
  11. badrobot Win User
    If you are using USB, try burning the ISO to DVD (use imgburn program). I had the same problem. Although I did not try Re-making the USB installer, the DVD installer worked well in just one go. It's probably just a corrupted USB but you can try again. If you want to try burning the ISO, be sure to do it at low speed (x8) to avoid errors.

badrobot, Oct 24, 2014
  12. Kari Win User
    The size of the ISO is correct (EN-US x64 ISO) but I don't understand that "original downloaded file" size, it's simply too big. Which file do you mean (exact file name and extension)?

Give me 20 minutes, I'll install using the same ISO and selecting Danish keyboard and formats (jeg både taler og forstår dansk, det vil ikke være noget problem *Wink). I cannot believe this could be an issue but I want to test it to be sure.

Back in 20 minutes!

13. Ztruker Win User

This is a Windows 10 TP build 9841 VM running under Oracle VB. 2GB RAM, 50GB drive.
    Clean install of Windows 10 TP X64.
    Using local account.
    All updates applied.
    Tried to update to build 9860 and it failed, no idea why as there were no clues left other than this message:

Cleaned up everything I could following the directions in this thread then started the update again.
    I did not have to do the download again, just started the install. This time it worked perfectly.

Checked C:\RecoveryImage and it has install.esd so getting rid of the directories and marker file worked for me and I got the 9860 install.esd file. I will next create a ISO to save.

I wonder how much of what you described has to be deleted to make this work? Would getting rid of just C:\RecoveryImage be enough? I should have tried it.

Ztruker, Oct 24, 2014
  14. Kari Win User
    OK. You failed to upgrade a cleanly installed Win10, decided to follow instructions for Win10 upgraded from 8.1 and wondered why it did not work?

I understand it worked now? If so, everything is OK. The marker file is important if you want to upgrade to next build keeping the ESD or WIM file from previous build; other than that it has no purpose. I have deleted it from each Win10 9860 already now, to be sure that when the next build is released the old ESD will be replaced with a new one.

Your original upgrade error code points to a third party AV, firewall or such disabling upgrade process.

15. Kari Win User
    If you are using USB, try burning the ISO to DVD (use imgburn program). I had the same problem. Although I did not try Re-making the USB installer, the DVD installer worked well in just one go. It's probably just a corrupted USB but you can try again. If you want to try burning the ISO, be sure to do it at low speed (x8) to avoid errors. +1.

To be sure I tested now with 9860 x64 EN-US ISO created as told in this tutorial, burned to USB, selecting formats: Denmark, keyboard: Danish. No issues.

Thema:

1. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Similar Threads - ESD ISO Create

2. Creating a bootable usb from ISO

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a bootable usb from ISO: If I create a bootable usb from the ISO file, does that ISO file remain the same in the sense that I can use it to to an In-Place Repair or reinstall Windows?...
  3. ESD or ISO

ESD or ISO: Hey there! What is difference between esd and iso file? Should I update my windows 10 through esd file or iso file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/esd-or-iso/5068853b-102f-40f2-aa2e-48fd3cd633be
  4. Official Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT

Official Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT: hello friends, i have downloaded the latest esd file and converted to iso, but my iso file missing DaRT menu under windows repair option.i am looking for official download link for Windows 10 x64 bootable esd/ iso with DaRT , or Official Windows 10 DaRT download link,please...
  5. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  6. Sanity check on ESD to ISO - 10041

in Windows 10 Support
    Sanity check on ESD to ISO - 10041: Looking for another set of eyes to verify/sanity check the data on the ISO I created from the 10041 ESD. I may do clean install this weekend. How does this compare with what you may have? Many thanks. Dick... *Cool [img] [img] 4808
  7. Which ESD to ISO method should I use?

Which ESD to ISO method should I use?: On home stretch. Got the 14257 ESD from my laptop so I can try to fix my desktop installation of 14257 (to get DISM to work again) Which method on the ESD to ISO tool should I use? 39941
  8. ESD folder created when using MCT but not with ISO

ESD folder created when using MCT but not with ISO: I'm confused about the ESD folder. If I install Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool, an ESD folder is created. I understand that this folder should not be deleted if you plan to use the Recovery feature as it includes the files need to reinstall Windows. If I reinstall...
  9. Build 10159 X86 ISO or ESD Available?

Build 10159 X86 ISO or ESD Available?: Anyone know if an ISO or ESD for 10159 x86 has been created or made available. Have been attempting an upgrade through Windows Update on v. 10158 for 2 days and it will not download properly. Want to download and upgrade via USB on a Dell Venue 8 Pro. Thanks. 7667
  10. UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files: How to: UUP to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 Build Upgrade Files [img] Note Microsoft has made some changes in the delivery system. UUP Dump working perfectly, allowing users to create Insider ISO images even when not opted in for Insider program, I see it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. esd to iso