Windows 10: eShell opens explorer(desktop) instead of file explorer

Discus and support eShell opens explorer(desktop) instead of file explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone i have a problem. After a user automatically logs in he get this screen (win10-1.png), after that he needs to access some of the files,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DainiusA, May 16, 2019.

1. DainiusA Win User

eShell opens explorer(desktop) instead of file explorer

Hello everyone i have a problem.

After a user automatically logs in he get this screen (win10-1.png), after that he needs to access some of the files, so he opens the task manager with keyboard shortcut ctrl + shift +e and goes to new task. In the pop up window he needs to input explorer so he could open the file manager(win10-2.png), but instead he gets (win10-3.png).

I need to get the result from (win10-2.png) when i type explorer in the tak manager's new task.

Best regards,
    Dainius

eShell opens explorer(desktop) instead of file explorer [​IMG]

:)

DainiusA, May 16, 2019
  2. sturpe Win User

Cannot find Desktop Icon in File Explorer

Now that is interesting. If I do what you suggest, File Explorer Address bar changes to C:\Users\username\documents and the missing ICONS are there. But there is still not a "Desktop" folder.

Is this a step in the right direction?

sturpe, May 16, 2019
  3. HDVIDTech Win User
    Explorer Opens slow

I have tried the steps listed below. Method 2 and pinned it to the task bar. This helps it open faster but when it opens then the open window are grouped away from the icon on the task bar. I have to have two explorer folders pinned to the task bar to
    have a fast opening Explorer and grouped windows together.

When I do "open file location" the original one shows it is on the desktop, but it is not there. The other one I created tracks back to the C:\ drive location as it was created. Just kind of weird that one is referencing the Desktop when it is not there.
    Maybe hidden but still kind of odd.

How can I make it where I only have one Explorer that is both fast to open and the only one on the task bar?

Method 1: Rebuild your search index.

• Press Windows key + R, type control.exe srchadmin.dll, and click on OK.
    • Click on the Advanced button.
    • From the Advanced dialogue box, select Rebuild. Selecting Rebuild will begin the process of deleting, and then rebuilding your PC’s search index.

Note: While the steps to initiate the rebuilding process are simple, the actual process can take quite some time depending on how much data Windows has to index.

Method 2: Create a File Explorer shortcut on your desktop.

• On your Windows 10 desktop, right-click with the mouse.
    • Select New > Shortcut.
    • Type explorer.exe in the Location box.
    • Click on Next button.
    • Click on Finish button. You should now have a shortcut on your desktop.
    • Right-click the new shortcut, and select Properties.
    • Under Target line, change it to (note the space between C:\Windows\explorer.exe and /n):

C:\Windows\explorer.exe /n
    • Click the OK button. Now you can double-click it like your regular File Explorer app.

Method 3: Reset the File Explorer view to the default settings across all your folders.

• Launch File Explorer, click the File menu, and select Change folder and search options.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Under Folder views, click on Reset Folders.
    • Click the OK button.

Let us know if any of the suggestions helped.

HDVIDTech, May 16, 2019
  4. Deuce642 Win User

windows 10 file explorer opens for a split second then crashes

This problem occurs if I try opening any folder or file explorer itself for example:

• an existing file folder with files in it that is on my desktop,
    • opening the file explorer from the taskbar (I have since unpinned it as this was suggested as a fix in some forums)
    • opening file explorer using the start menu
    • opening file explorer using the windows key + E
    In each case the explorer dialogue box will pop up momentarily then disappear again (perhaps a second or 2 sometimes, other times just a flash.)

So far I have tried:

• ensuring that windows 10 is totally up to date
    • run the sfc scannow - this came up with no error found
    • made sure that the settings for file explorer were set to opening at 'this pc'

I am absolutely out of ideas. Can someone please help?

Deuce642, May 16, 2019
Thema:

1. eShell opens explorer(desktop) instead of file explorer - Similar Threads - eShell opens explorer

2. Windows 11 file explorer opens SharePoint URL in Edge instead of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 file explorer opens SharePoint URL in Edge instead of File Explorer: Hello there,We have a new problem with Windows 11. In Windows 10 we would paste a SharePoint URL into file explorer and it would open there. This would bypass a lot of the SharePoint limitations with opening and moving files. Now when you paste the URL into Windows 11's file...
  3. Windows 11 file explorer opens SharePoint URL in Edge instead of File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 file explorer opens SharePoint URL in Edge instead of File Explorer: Hello there,We have a new problem with Windows 11. In Windows 10 we would paste a SharePoint URL into file explorer and it would open there. This would bypass a lot of the SharePoint limitations with opening and moving files. Now when you paste the URL into Windows 11's file...
  4. How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...: Hello,I am loving the tabs functionality of the new file explorer, but I am constantly annoying with the fact that opening any folder results in a new file explorer windows being spawned. What I would instead like to happen is that my current file explorer windows is made...
  5. How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...

How to open file explorer folders as new tabs by default instead of as new file explorer...: Hello,I am loving the tabs functionality of the new file explorer, but I am constantly annoying with the fact that opening any folder results in a new file explorer windows being spawned. What I would instead like to happen is that my current file explorer windows is made...
  6. "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC": Hello,in my new Windows 11 setup, I have this weird bug where the "Desktop" is the first item in the left panel. I can't imagine this being intended. Does Anybody have a reg file to make "This PC" the root of the list?Thanks...
  7. "Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC"

"Desktop" as Root in File Explorer instead of "This PC": Hello,in my new Windows 11 setup, I have this weird bug where the "Desktop" is the first item in the left panel. I can't imagine this being intended. Does Anybody have a reg file to make "This PC" the root of the list?Thanks...
  8. Mouse clicks to move files in File Explorer open files instead

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse clicks to move files in File Explorer open files instead: I tried searching for this issue but didn't see anything related in the first three pages of search results. This started about 10 days ago. When selecting files in File Explorer with my mouse, the files open as I try to drag them them to other folders. Very frustrating. I...
  9. .jar Files Open in Internet Explorer Instead of Running

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .jar Files Open in Internet Explorer Instead of Running: I think this is a pretty common problem, but I'm wondering if anyone has found a solution. I need to run a .jar file, which I would normally do by double-clicking on it. However, the file now just opens in Internet Explorer, which tries to download it again. Does anyone...
  10. Desktop folder opening without file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop folder opening without file explorer: Is there a smart way to open a folder you have on your desktop, without using file explorer? Such that you can see all the files within, whilst still on the desktop submitted by /u/samtowell [link] [comments]...