Windows 10: ethernet adapter and router

Discus and support ethernet adapter and router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 on my desktop and my wife has a chromebook. I have bridged my ISP's gateway and used my own router before but it its old. First... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by maranna, Oct 29, 2017.

1. maranna Win User

ethernet adapter and router

I have Windows 10 on my desktop and my wife has a chromebook.
    I have bridged my ISP's gateway and used my own router before but it its old.
    First would you recommend my own router rather than the ISP gateway router I am using now?
    Secondly, to ensure security if the chromebook were used on the road, would a 3.0 ethernet adapter be recommended rather than wifi?

:)

maranna, Oct 29, 2017
  2. lacrumb Win User

having trouple with hooking ethernet cable to my windows 10 hp laptop

Is your router configured for Ethernet? Does it have an Ethernet network identified?

Have you gone into Device Manager to see if there is a Network adapter for Ethernet?

lacrumb, Oct 29, 2017
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    How do I hard wire my Inspiron 17 7000 to the internet

You don't say what your internet connection is. Many people have an internet connection to their router so their problem is to connect their computers to that router.

If you do have a router that is connected to the internet then you could connect to the router using an external USB LAN card such as this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B00MYT481C/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482349938&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+lan+adapter
    or this USB3 version

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00NPJP33M/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482349938&sr=1-6&keywords=usb+lan+adapter
    together with an ethernet cable to connect the card to the router.

Personally, I connect my Dell Inspiron 17 [7779] to my router over WiFi and am content with that.

Denis

Tryx3, Oct 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

If it's an old router it may only do 50 meg on WiFi were new ones that are AC can do 3 gig and gig Ethernet so a new router is the best option. Ethernet is more secure than WiFi but on a strange network both can be hacked

Samuria, Oct 29, 2017
  5. maranna Win User
    I do not use the old router as it is not AC. I use the ISP's gateway router. I was asking if I should get a new router with AC and bridge my gateway again or if an ISP's gateway router will suffice.

I find no A/V protection for the Chromebook in he web store. Do you know of any that Google will allow on the Chromebook?

maranna, Oct 30, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    There's no need to bridge the router if it's the only router....defeats the purpose. Yes...your ISP modem/router would be sufficient. There are after market brands that are better. You'll need to contact your ISP to check that out.

Plankton, Oct 30, 2017
  7. maranna Win User
    In the gateway there is a modem and a router. I used to bridge the router and use mine but now mine is too old -N.
    I need AC so I will not bridge the gateway's router and use it trusting there is no peeking from their side.

maranna, Oct 30, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

It depends on ISP. Sometimes they lock routers and do not provide you with necessary info to use you own router as main gateway.

Most ISP routers handle the maximum internet speed, so if you bridge a faster one to it and use that, your lan will be faster. It will not affect internet speed.

cereberus, Oct 30, 2017
  9. maranna Win User
    Comcast is good about bridging and using your own router. The speeds were not measured by me but I never noticed a difference. Because it seems unnecessary I will just use theirs and save a bit.
    Thank you

maranna, Oct 30, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    If you want Wireless-AC for file transfer on the LAN, then just get an Access Point. I use the Engenius EAP-1750H unit and have no problems with it. It uses Power Over Ethernet, with the POE injector where my Gateway is. If you wish to use your own gateway for Wireless-AC, you can either set it up as an Access Point by disabling the DNS settings or using it as your own Gateway by going through the steps to use your ISP Gateway as a Bridge/Passthrough device.

Unless you are planning on streaming information or large files that need a large amount of bandwidth and your ISP is giving you a 1000mbps connection, that would be the only reason to go with Wireless AC. I use Wireless AC in my house because we have a NAS that we move large files between the devices in our home. Outside of that, we only get 50/6 through our provider, which is overkill for what we have.

bro67, Oct 31, 2017
  11. maranna Win User
    I read your post over a few times and only get the general idea due to my low skill level. I will use the router within my gateway.
    I could do better as I only have MBAM free and Defender with the Win 10 firewall (not advanced).
    I stick with Windows so there are no 3rd party conflicts with updates etc. and am very careful where I go on the web.Thanks for your advice. I do have images.

maranna, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. ethernet adapter and router - Similar Threads - ethernet adapter router

2. Ethernet Network Adapters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Network Adapters: Probably a highly novice question, but where do I go in Windows settings to find out if a given computer has a single or dual band ethernet network adapter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-network-adapters/53587442-9d86-4398-b345-65a749b02eb6
  3. do portable routers and ethernet adapters always work in safe mode with networking?

do portable routers and ethernet adapters always work in safe mode with networking?: i have often seen the suggestion to buy a portable router and use an ethernet cable. However, systems like mine do not have an ethernet cable. what is the suggestion in such situations?I lived in an apartment complex recently that i depended on free wireless. I could not...
  4. USB to Ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB to Ethernet adapter: How to install USB to Ethernet adapter in desktop computer with Window 8.1 and malfunctioned Ethernet LAN card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-to-ethernet-adapter/d68507df-1491-41ac-ad6d-f03bc100985c
  5. Missing ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing ethernet adapter: I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to solve this. For some reason the ethernet adapter vanished and I cannot get it working again. Background: About a week ago I replaced my motherboard, CPU, and RAM because my old system was getting very dated. I used my old...
  6. Ethernet adapter is not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ethernet adapter is not recognized: Hi, I have a ky-688 lan-usb adapter with usb hub, the hub is working with no problems, but since yesterday the adapter is not recognized or sounds constantly plug in and plug out notification.I tried with other lan cable and a pc with lan port, but the problem is only with...
  7. Router Ethernet Port problem.

Router Ethernet Port problem.: I have just been supplied with a new router by my fibre optic supplier. The router has 4 Ethernet ports and I have my PC connected to one of them. I also have a set top box for my streaming TV signal, this is connected by cable to another of the Ethernet ports. The PC...
  8. Ethernet Adapter issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Adapter issues: Win 10 Enterprise. I have onboard ethernet set to a static IP. I'm looking to run hyper-v on here for a few small VMs for a testing env and added an additional PCI 4port NIC attached. Those 4 ports are currently disconnected from the switch. I can ping from the workstation to...
  9. Ethernet shows wrong router name

Ethernet shows wrong router name: When I connect to ethernet it shows my school wifi name instead of my home wifi. It is connected to my home wifi but it just shows the wrong name. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-shows-wrong-router-name/2fbd8411-aa7c-4c51-b24c-5f20858399f8
  10. HUAWEI router Ethernet not working

HUAWEI router Ethernet not working: How are you doing? i have a small LTE router from HUAWEI, i have provided it to ISP and registered with new Public IP address.... Now when i connect wifi to my pc or phone it works, but when i connect ethernet cable to the PC or NVR(cctv camera) wifi do not work and...