Windows 10: ethernet adapter for chromebook

Discus and support ethernet adapter for chromebook in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; The chromebook does not have an ethernet port so I got an adapter b/c the place I am staying has an ethernet connector cable in the room.I think this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by maranna, Mar 25, 2018.

1. maranna Win User

ethernet adapter for chromebook

The chromebook does not have an ethernet port so I got an adapter b/c the place I am staying has an ethernet connector cable in the room.I think this is better than wifi.
    I notice that when I connect it to my gateway at home it does say connected as does my desktop but there is a place to configure.

I thought the cable would be safer but was not prepared for the configure with eaps and leaps. There was a line for a password but I did not know if it was the one I use to sign into my desktop, sign into MS or what so I did not do anything.

My question is, the defaults seem to be ok so do I have to configure the eaps, leaps etc. I have no idea about or are the "connected" defaults ok? OR - Perhaps I should just use wifi with no ethernet connector?

:)

maranna, Mar 25, 2018
  2. Tryx3 Win User

How do I hard wire my Inspiron 17 7000 to the internet

You don't say what your internet connection is. Many people have an internet connection to their router so their problem is to connect their computers to that router.

If you do have a router that is connected to the internet then you could connect to the router using an external USB LAN card such as this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ethernet-Network-Adapter-Macbook-Chromebook/dp/B00MYT481C/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482349938&sr=1-4&keywords=usb+lan+adapter
    or this USB3 version

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter-Supporting/dp/B00NPJP33M/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1482349938&sr=1-6&keywords=usb+lan+adapter
    together with an ethernet cable to connect the card to the router.

Personally, I connect my Dell Inspiron 17 [7779] to my router over WiFi and am content with that.

Denis

Tryx3, Mar 25, 2018
  3. Ronit B Win User
    Connected to ethernet but Windows not totally convinced

Open Device manager, find and disable your Ethernet adapter, reboot the computer and then enable it. Fixed?

No?

Open Device manager, find and "uninstall" your Ethernet adapter. Reboot the computer, it should find and install your Ethernet adapter again. Fixed?

No?

Look for newer updated drivers for your Ethernet adapter and install them.

Ronit B, Mar 25, 2018
  4. EdTittel Win User

In this context, anything that ends with EAP is an "extensible authentication protocol" -- a Cisco authentication protocol managing and securing network access. Here's what Cisco has to say about it: What is Extensible Authentication Proto... - Cisco Support Community. You're probably seeing it because you have to present credentials (authenticate) to obtain network access. If the Internet is working through the cable, you should be OK to keep going.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 25, 2018
  5. maranna Win User
    So when I first plug in and it says connected, I am good to go without configuring?

maranna, Mar 25, 2018
  6. EdTittel Win User
    If you're connected, the configuration is already set and/or the defaults let you use the Internet. If it ain't broke don't fix it! If it is broke, I missed something from your previous posts.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 25, 2018
  7. maranna Win User
    >>Appreciate it.

maranna, Mar 25, 2018
  8. EdTittel Win User

You're welcome. Hope your future Win10 and networking adventures remain both enjoyable and successful.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. ethernet adapter for chromebook - Similar Threads - ethernet adapter chromebook

2. Missing ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing ethernet adapter: I'm missing an Ethernet adapter which I suspect is why Ethernet does not show as a network and internet connection option for my new ASUS Zenbook 14X OLED Q420VA. Please advise on how to fix...
  3. Missing ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing ethernet adapter: I'm missing an Ethernet adapter which I suspect is why Ethernet does not show as a network and internet connection option for my new ASUS Zenbook 14X OLED Q420VA. Please advise on how to fix...
  4. Ethernet Network Adapters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Network Adapters: Probably a highly novice question, but where do I go in Windows settings to find out if a given computer has a single or dual band ethernet network adapter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-network-adapters/53587442-9d86-4398-b345-65a749b02eb6
  5. Ethernet Network Adapters

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Network Adapters: Probably a highly novice question, but where do I go in Windows settings to find out if a given computer has a single or dual band ethernet network adapter? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-network-adapters/53587442-9d86-4398-b345-65a749b02eb6
  6. USB to Ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB to Ethernet adapter: How to install USB to Ethernet adapter in desktop computer with Window 8.1 and malfunctioned Ethernet LAN card? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-to-ethernet-adapter/d68507df-1491-41ac-ad6d-f03bc100985c
  7. Missing ethernet adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing ethernet adapter: I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out how to solve this. For some reason the ethernet adapter vanished and I cannot get it working again. Background: About a week ago I replaced my motherboard, CPU, and RAM because my old system was getting very dated. I used my old...
  8. Ethernet Adapter is missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Adapter is missing: I updated to windows 11 a while back and have had problems with my network adapters ever since. Ethernet is not showing up on my network adapters in the device managers hence I am unable to update my drivers or connect to the LAN. Additionally, I tried to reset my network...
  9. Ethernet adapter is not recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ethernet adapter is not recognized: Hi, I have a ky-688 lan-usb adapter with usb hub, the hub is working with no problems, but since yesterday the adapter is not recognized or sounds constantly plug in and plug out notification.I tried with other lan cable and a pc with lan port, but the problem is only with...
  10. Ethernet Adapter issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Adapter issues: Win 10 Enterprise. I have onboard ethernet set to a static IP. I'm looking to run hyper-v on here for a few small VMs for a testing env and added an additional PCI 4port NIC attached. Those 4 ports are currently disconnected from the switch. I can ping from the workstation to...