Windows 10: Ethernet adapter hardware or software/driver issue?

Discus and support Ethernet adapter hardware or software/driver issue? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm currently getting a strange issue with the on-board ethernet adapter on my older secondary system I use in the living room that I use for mainly... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alien00785, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Ethernet adapter hardware or software/driver issue?

I'm currently getting a strange issue with the on-board ethernet adapter on my older secondary system I use in the living room that I use for mainly just desktop apps.

Before upgrading to Windows 10 pro x64 yesterday I was running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on this system and everything was working just fine, including the ethernet adapter. When I upgraded yesterday, at first all drivers downloaded and installed correctly despite some components in this system being from 2006, compliments for the great compatibility. The ethernet adapter also had a working driver and was working fine. However when I restarted the system things got weird. The BIOS booted normally, then I briefly saw the windows 10 logo and loading icon, but they looked artifacted, the screen went black and nothing booted up. Because of the artifacts I thought the GPU may have died. I turned the PC off with the power button, and turned it on again. This time the windows logo was normal and windows booted up normally with one exception, no internet connection. Turns out that the on board ethernet device was ''not connected'' according to the hidden devices in device manager, as if I unplugged it. Luckily I could still use internet as the PC also has a backup PCI wireless network card, I'd rather use wired internet anyway. So I left the PC unplugged for 1 night, when I turned it on again in the morning, the on-board ethernet adapter was working again. When I restarted, same routine, artifacted windows logo, black screen, restart, working windows but no ethernet adapter. Fixed again by unplugging the PC, and starting again.

I understand this may be a simple motherboard malfunction of some sort, the strange this is that it worked fine until I upgraded to windows 10. It's hard to believe that the ethernet adapter or motherboard decided to malfuntion at the same moment I upgraded windows, even though possible with an older system like this.

The GPU seems to be fine, even under stress, so I think the PCI-E controller can be ruled out. Also the GPU does not have any blown capacitors or anything. Also no blown capacitors on the mobo. I'm writing this post on the same PC with a working ethernet adapted for the moment. Running stable for several hours now while I've been exploring the new features, but the issue will occur again on restart.

By the way the thernet adapter is an on-board Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

what are your thoughts. Old PC chose to malfunction at exactly this time? Or some strange software/hardware incompatibility issue.

Thanks for your replies.

:)

alien00785, Jul 29, 2015

2. Windows 10 Ethernet cable

From the wireless adapter, run Windows Update to see that it has all needed drivers and patches.

Double check the ethernet LAN driver is latest from the PC's Support Downloads webpage. If so, reinstall it by uninstalling in Control Panel and Device Manager (including software) then reinstalling the latest driver.

If the PC's latest ethernet driver continues to fail, try an earlier version, then try the device maker's downloads.

That's the software angle, let's hope for some hardware assistance for you.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 29, 2015
  3. jesta777 Win User
    Network error on startup after Win10 Creators update

Hi Jaune,

No, this is not an acceptable answer. My system was working perfectly with the current hardware and with the ethernet adapter using a Microsoft driver.

I am then encouraged by Microsoft to apply the Creators Update which I do. After the update the ethernet adapter is not found and activated correctly on each start up, but a scan by hardware manager finds and gets the adapter working correctly without any
    changes to hardware, software, firmware or configuration.

Now you are telling me that my adapter/driver combination is not compatible with the Creator update!

Why then did your update not warn me of this incompatibility?

Also, I have reverted to the Microsoft driver, I still have the problem, so when are Microsoft going to fix their driver for this issue?

Personally I do not think the driver is the problem. (Same issue occurs with both Microsoft and Intel drivers, with same behavior and same fix).

Please could you connect me with your team leader/supervisor as I want to escalate this issue.

Thanks and regards.

jesta777, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Hemispasm Win User

Ethernet adapter hardware or software/driver issue?

Hi there,

I have the exact same problem. Windows 10 Pro 64bit do not recognize the Marvel Gbit Ethernet controller 88E8056. Actually, installing the windows 7/8 64bit that one would expect to work with W10, gives a BSOD referring to the corresponding sys file (yk63x64.sys) that neither system restore nor startup repair can fix.

If anyone can come up with a solution, by all means please do!

Hemispasm, Sep 11, 2015
  5. I'm not sure that is exactly the same issue. However I've found the solution for my issue. Windows 10 has a funtion that is turned on by default called fast startup. Basically this function puts the PC into hibernation when you shut down the PC instead of completely shutting it down without a saved session. When I start the PC back up out of the hibernation state for some reason my ethernet adapter is not woken up correctly or th driver is not loaded correctly. I fixed this by turning off fast startup. Now windows 10 boots normally every time with all devices and drivers enabled and loaded.

alien00785, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Ethernet adapter hardware or software/driver issue?

1. Ethernet adapter hardware or software/driver issue? - Similar Threads - Ethernet adapter hardware

2. Is this a software issue or hardware issue?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this a software issue or hardware issue?: Recently built a new PC. Installed Windows 10 and ran updates. Once it was fully updated, it seemed to run fine for a few minutes. After a few minutes, I could not open simple windows like Task Manager, Device Manager, Settings, and type in the Search Bar. I could not even...
  3. Is this a software issue or hardware issue?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this a software issue or hardware issue?: Recently built a new PC. Installed Windows 10 and ran updates. Once it was fully updated, it seemed to run fine for a few minutes. After a few minutes, I could not open simple windows like Task Manager, Device Manager, Settings, and type in the Search Bar. I could not even...
  4. The IntelR Ethernet Connection I219-V adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    The IntelR Ethernet Connection I219-V adapter is experiencing driver- or hardware-related...: Upon upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10, my ethernet connection stopped working.I have tried installing all versions of drivers, restarted computer every single time. It just does not work.My specs:Windows 10 Pro OS build 19043.928 64x bitAsus Z170-ARI found in event...
  5. Ethernet Driver Issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Driver Issue: Hi, I have a new build. For 4 weeks it has been fine, but a recent update has resulted in the pc not booting with the Ethernet driver working even when in device manager it’s there. So when I open the extracted file and run the driver application it connects again... until I...
  6. Ethernet Adapter issues

Ethernet Adapter issues: Win 10 Enterprise. I have onboard ethernet set to a static IP. I'm looking to run hyper-v on here for a few small VMs for a testing env and added an additional PCI 4port NIC attached. Those 4 ports are currently disconnected from the switch. I can ping from the workstation to...
  7. Is this a software or hardware issue?

Is this a software or hardware issue?: submitted by /u/VerbNoun123 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gwu5hq/is_this_a_software_or_hardware_issue/
  8. Problem with driver for ethernet and wireless adapter

Problem with driver for ethernet and wireless adapter: I have already tried a lot of fixes. I disabled and the enabled the drives in device management, I have uninstalled the software and restarted the pc, and I even tried to update the drivers from a USB. This started after I went onto my omen command center its an hp omen...
  9. NETWORK ADAPTER EXPIRIENCING DRIVER/HARDWARE ISSUE!!!

NETWORK ADAPTER EXPIRIENCING DRIVER/HARDWARE ISSUE!!!: recently while using a windows 10 pc I was browsing the web when my wifi suddenly stopped working. instead of seeing a wifi symbol with a red x, I saw picture of a computer with a cord next to it with an x. I tried troubleshooting the problem and the report came back saying...
  10. Hardware or Software Issue?

in Windows 10 Support
    Hardware or Software Issue?: I built a box for a friend of mine, used it for a week and shipped it to FL - specs below. The box arrived safely, with the exception of one SATA cable, which had come loose. OR - it wasn't properly seated by me. After a day or so of use, he tells me the machine is very slow...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ethernet adapter hardware problem

2. W10 GBit ethernet adapter missing in Device manager