Windows 10: Ethernet adapter subnet mask

Discus and support Ethernet adapter subnet mask in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This morning I updated my wife's laptop to the latest build of Windows 10. I borrowed the ethernet cable I use for my laptop so I could use a faster... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by busdriver12, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Ethernet adapter subnet mask

This morning I updated my wife's laptop to the latest build of Windows 10. I borrowed the ethernet cable I use for my laptop so I could use a faster connection.

For some reason, the Ethernet connection could not "find" the internet. Delving a little deeper I noticed the subnet mask did not look right. I ran ipconfig from a powershell and below are the relavant bits of the 2 adapters used on this machine:

Code:
    I am fairly certain the subnet mask (which should be 255.255.255.0) is the culprit and I note that the IPv4 address is not part of the local network.

Machine specs:
    Laptop Acer Aspire E5-573
    RAM 4Gb
    HDD 1Tb
    Windows 10 (1909 Build 18363.778)

TIA for any help

:)

busdriver12, Apr 16, 2020

2. Ethernet adapter subnet mask

This morning I updated my wife's laptop to the latest build of Windows 10. I borrowed the ethernet cable I use for my laptop so I could use a faster connection.

For some reason, the Ethernet connection could not "find" the internet. Delving a little deeper I noticed the subnet mask did not look right. I ran ipconfig from a powershell and below are the relavant bits of the 2 adapters used on this machine:

Code:
    I am fairly certain the subnet mask (which should be 255.255.255.0) is the culprit and I note that the IPv4 address is not part of the local network.

Machine specs:
    Laptop Acer Aspire E5-573
    RAM 4Gb
    HDD 1Tb
    Windows 10 (1909 Build 18363.778)

TIA for any help

busdriver12, May 23, 2020
  3. Ethernet adapter subnet mask

Thanks for the great explanation! It's been over 30 years since I last delved into computer science and this is an excellent refresher of networking basics.
    *Thumbs

busdriver12, May 23, 2020
  4. gwforeman Win User

Ethernet adapter subnet mask

How do I find what the Subnet Mask and DNS are?

Open a command prompt and run type:

ipconfig /all

The list will show your settings for each adapter, including the DNS settings

Resulting like the following example:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.113(Preferred)

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222

gwforeman, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Ethernet adapter subnet mask

1. Ethernet adapter subnet mask - Similar Threads - Ethernet adapter subnet

2. IP subnets for Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    IP subnets for Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter: what is IP subnets for Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-subnets-for-microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/d01ef12e-de85-4501-a317-048cdac978be
  3. IP subnets for Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    IP subnets for Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter: what is IP subnets for Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ip-subnets-for-microsoft-wireless-display-adapter/d01ef12e-de85-4501-a317-048cdac978be
  4. View ipv6 subnet mask / prefix on Windows 10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    View ipv6 subnet mask / prefix on Windows 10/11: I was looking for the IPv6 subnet mask / prefix on my Windows 11 installation. However ipconfig /all only shows complete IPv4 configuration, but IPv6 lacks this.In Article:...
  5. View ipv6 subnet mask / prefix on Windows 10/11

View ipv6 subnet mask / prefix on Windows 10/11: I was looking for the IPv6 subnet mask / prefix on my Windows 11 installation. However ipconfig /all only shows complete IPv4 configuration, but IPv6 lacks this.In Article:...
  6. Fetch IPv6 subnet mask/prefix in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fetch IPv6 subnet mask/prefix in Windows 10: Hi everyone!With IPv4 I have succeeded in setting the configuration manually. However I have a problem in doing the same for IPv6: No matter if I look inside ipconfig or the Wifi settings, Windows won't show me the used subnet mask/prefix.However, if I want to set it...
  7. Fetch IPv6 subnet mask/prefix in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fetch IPv6 subnet mask/prefix in Windows 10: Hi everyone!With IPv4 I have succeeded in setting the configuration manually. However I have a problem in doing the same for IPv6: No matter if I look inside ipconfig or the Wifi settings, Windows won't show me the used subnet mask/prefix.However, if I want to set it...
  8. Fetch IPv6 subnet mask/prefix in Windows 10

9. subnet mask & ip address

subnet mask & ip address: how do I find the subnet mask and ip address on my Asus Router https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/subnet-mask-ip-address/678967c4-3fdb-414f-8ac7-524901c78ac3
  10. Strange IPv4 subnet mask for network connection

Strange IPv4 subnet mask for network connection: My default gateway is 192.168.1.1 (FIOS). I am running some Windows 2012R2 servers under Hyper-V. When I set up the servers, I *believe* the Hyper-V Manager also added a network configuration for the VMs. The VM IP addresses are 172.18.x.x and the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0....