Windows 10: Ethernet cable not being recognized

Discus and support Ethernet cable not being recognized in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I'm not sure why, but recently, my ethernet cable hasn't been getting picked up by the ethernet port on the back of my cyberpower desktop. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by aokzi, Mar 5, 2020.

1. aokzi Win User

Ethernet cable not being recognized

I'm not sure why, but recently, my ethernet cable hasn't been getting picked up by the ethernet port on the back of my cyberpower desktop. I have already tried a different cable and it didn't get picked up either, and I have tried the cable on another laptop, and it works just fine, but I have tried a different cable on the desktop, and it still doesn't work. It also doesn't show up in the device manager. I know that this means that the port is most likely defective, but is there a way to replace the port itself instead of the whole motherboard? I have the ASRock B450M Gaming AM4 Motherboard. I have the cyberpower GMA4200BT. I'm not sure if this helps. I have also tried resetting my network settings. I am able to connect to the internet through the wifi prongs that came with the system, however. I just want to know if there is a fix to this.

:)

aokzi, Mar 5, 2020

2. Computer not recognizing Ethernet cable

Hi Vijay, I appreciate your help.

I will try each step even if I've already done it, just to make sure, and post my results.

A. When I troubleshoot internet connections, it tells me “Plug an ethernet cable into this computer” and says my cable might be broken or disconnected. However of course i have tried a different working cable with no luck.

when I troubleshoot network adapter, it says “plug an Ethernet cable into the network adapter ‘Ethernet’” which of course has already been done so it is not recognizing it.

B. I tried every suggestion/step listed (except for the wifi troubleshooting since my computer doesn't have wifi) and none of them worked.

C. When I run the windows update troubleshooter, it tells me “download and install pending updates” (Maybe it is not up to date because I tried reinstalling windows 10 to see if that would fix the internet, but it did not. I updated it like last week or
    something like that) but of course I can't download the updates without internet. If I click “apply this fix” it tells me to plug in an Ethernet cable. But i believe windows 10 was up to date before this issue even began because I updated it just a week ago.

D. I do not understand this step. The guide is confusing to me. It also appears that I have to download tools in order to do this repair. I cannot download anything because my computer cannot connect to the internet. I don't have a USB flashdrive. I did
    try reinstalling Windows 10 though and it did not help.

EmersedPuma9503, Mar 5, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Ethernet cable settings

Hi Campbell,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please reply to the follow questions to get a better understanding on the issue:

• What is the model number of your laptop?
    • Do you have a yellow exclamation on the network icon after connecting the cat 7 cable?

However, you can follow the troubleshooting steps from
    Fix network connection issues in Windows

Also, I suggest you to check the laptop manual or laptop manufacturer to know whether the Ethernet port of your laptop supports cat 7 cable.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Mar 5, 2020
  4. KettlyV Win User

Ethernet Adapter Won't Recognize Ethernet Cable

We have a Dell all in one touch screen computer and we want to connect our modem to it. However I noticed that the connection icon on the right bottom hand side doesn't indicate that there is a wired connection.

So I went to the network adapters page and it says "network cable unplugged" even though the ethernet cable is in there. I thought the ethernet cable might be the problem even though it was working fine for the other computer. So we switched it out and the
    computer still won't recognize that an ethernet cord has been plugged in.

Then I used my mobile hotspot to install the latest driver for the ethernet port and it installed. The driver date went from 4/2/2015 to 5/2/2015. I restarted the computer and tried both ethernet cords again and same result. So then to be sure it was the
    computer I put the ethernet linking the modem to my laptop and my laptop recognized the wired connection.

So it's not the cords or the modem, it's the computer. But I can't figure out how to fix it and I find it hard to believe that this is a hardware problem given that this computer is fairly new.

The OS is Windows 10 and the Ethernet Adapter says Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.

Ethernet cable not being recognized 16558d5e-09da-4ad2-83a3-f2c852a31a25.png

If our computer can't recognize ethernet cords we can't use our modem...

KettlyV, Mar 5, 2020
Thema:

1. Ethernet cable not being recognized - Similar Threads - Ethernet cable being

2. Unable to recognize ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to recognize ethernet cable: My computer just suddenly stopped recognizing my ethernet cable. It does not have a wifi card so it is completely offline. I have tried swapping cables, updating drivers, uninstalling old updates, resetting network settings, scanning for viruses and everything else I could...
  3. Unable to recognize ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to recognize ethernet cable: My computer just suddenly stopped recognizing my ethernet cable. It does not have a wifi card so it is completely offline. I have tried swapping cables, updating drivers, uninstalling old updates, resetting network settings, scanning for viruses and everything else I could...
  4. Unable to recognize ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Ethernet Cable no longer recognized

Ethernet Cable no longer recognized: Problem:Ethernet cable that has worked for a long time has suddenly stopped.Worked yesterday after resetting the router twice. Resetting the router is no longer working showing as "not connected" in Network Settings.Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections shows...
  6. Ethernet Cable no longer recognized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable no longer recognized: Problem:Ethernet cable that has worked for a long time has suddenly stopped.Worked yesterday after resetting the router twice. Resetting the router is no longer working showing as "not connected" in Network Settings.Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections shows...
  7. Ethernet cable not being detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet cable not being detected: I been having this issue for a while now on my new PC, it keeps saying it doesnt detect it but the light in the back flickers and when i look at my device manager its there on the list with an ! on it. I have googled and uninstalled driver and even rebooted the router but it...
  8. Ethernet cable not being detected

Ethernet cable not being detected: I been having this issue for a while now on my new PC, it keeps saying it doesnt detect it but the light in the back flickers and when i look at my device manager its there on the list with an ! on it. I have googled and uninstalled driver and even rebooted the router but it...
  9. ethernet cable not recognized?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    ethernet cable not recognized?: i just got back from a trip and when i turned my pc on (i didn’t take it with me on the trip) it won’t connect to the internet. i’ve been wired for well over a year and never really had an issue and nobody had powered on my pc or touched it while i was gone so i’m confused as...
  10. Computer not recognizing Ethernet cable

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer not recognizing Ethernet cable: Hi, my computer's internet has been fine but when I turned my computer on today, it had no internet. When I told it to troubleshoot issues it said no ethernet cable was plugged in or that it was broken. I have not made any changes or updates recently so this is out of the...