Windows 10: Ethernet cable settings

Discus and support Ethernet cable settings in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello I want to replace a 10 year old cat 5, worn, Ethernet cable with a cat 7 cable to connect to my 3 years old HP Envy. The old cable works fine... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Caimbeul, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Caimbeul Win User

Ethernet cable settings

Hello

I want to replace a 10 year old cat 5, worn, Ethernet cable with a cat 7 cable to connect to my 3 years old HP Envy. The old cable works fine but is prone to falling out my PC. My new cat 7 cable is not recognised by my HP Envy but works happily in another computer. How do I correct this ?

Campbell

:)

Caimbeul, Oct 5, 2018

2. Constantly disconnecting with ethernet cable

Hello,

Thank you for keeping us posted on the status of the issue.

I suggest you to check if rolling back the Ethernet driver helps to resolve the issue. Follow the below steps.

• First of all, Press Windows logo + R from keyboard. It will open
      RUN.
    • Now type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.
    • You will see all the device list of your PC. Expand Network Adapters
    Rollback driver

Double click on your Ethernet driver in Device Manager. Then Click on
    Driver tab and select Rollback.

Important: If your drive is performing well and there is no error, Rollback driver button will be grayed out as an option.

If it still does not help, I suggest you to reinstall the drivers for the Ethernet driver and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Note: Once you uninstall the drivers the Ethernet adapter device will be disabled and you won’t be able to connect to internet. So it is advisable to keep all the installer files as a back up in your hard drive.

Write to us with the results for further assistance.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 5, 2018
  3. Can an ethernet cable have a virus?

Hey all. So when i used a desktop, obviously i use the laptop wired with ethernet cable. But i no longer use a desktop and thus use a laptop now. The thing is i connect it to external monitor almost always and thus use ethernet cable to use wired internet. Sometimes i use wifi if i bring laptop to somewhere else in apartment.But if you are planning to use it connected and on a desk, you should always use it wired with an ethernet cable right?

I recalled wired is always faster. The thing is i don't have an ethernet cable now and just using it on wifi and it seems okay. But you would always suggest get an ethernet cable for you are using it on a desk where you don't move it right?

Also i know this may sound like a dumb question. But could an ethernet cable carry a virus? Like imagine someone gives you an ethernet cable or you bought a used or or you bought a new one but it was actually returned and used. Is it possible for that to infect your laptop? Im going to buy an ethernet cable at one of these stores like computer shops but i want to know, is it possible an ethernet cable has virus? I would be connecting it from modem to an ethernet adapter connected to a usb port on my laptop. I know this may sound very foolish to ask this but i want to make sure. I ask this because i cannot order an ethernet cable directly from say amazon because of where im located now.

paulyjustin, Oct 5, 2018
  4. rez001 Win User

Ethernet cable settings

IP configuration not valid - interference from ethernet adapter?

Solution 1: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1or Windows 10

Step 1:

Go to Device Manager → Network adapters.
    Step 2:

Expand it (Network adapters).

Step 3:

Select your network adapter

Step 4:

Right click on your wireless network adapter or Ethernet adapter and then tap “Update Driver Software”.
    (in this case your network adopter is Ethernet adopter so tap your Ethernet adapter)
    Step 5:

Now on a new window you will need to click on “Browse my computer for driver software”.

Ethernet cable settings install-driver-software.png

Step 6:

Then select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

Ethernet cable settings pick-comptible-driver-software.png

Step 7:

Now choose the “Manufacturer’s drivers” from the list of two and then click next.

Ethernet cable settings select-network-adapter.png

Step 8:

After the completion of the process just restart your PC and check if the problem is solved or not. If not, goto solution 2.

Ethernet cable settings Limited-wi-fi-connection-solved.png

Solution 2: No Internet Access In Windows 8.1,windows10

Step 1:

Open command prompt.
    Step 2:

Just go on hitting the enter after typing the each command.
    netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
    netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disable
    netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled
    Step 3:

Now to check if the settings are disabled type:
    netsh int tcp show global
    then hit enter.
    Step 4:

Now the thing left is just rebooting your system and just check if the problem is solved or not and just give feedback.*chuckle*Thumbs

rez001, Oct 5, 2018
Thema:

Ethernet cable settings

1. Ethernet cable settings - Similar Threads - Ethernet cable settings

2. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  3. Ethernet Cable Connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Cable Connection: Hi so Ive had my pc for a couple years now and never had any issues with internet or anything. Just last week I saw that my ethernet cable wasnt working. ive replace the cable and have checked the drivers and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but nothing seems to be...
  4. Ethernet Cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Cable: Hello, my name is ElavI wanted to ask, that if I connect Ethernet cable to my laptop, then does it affect my electricity bills? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-cable/9bcfa1f8-5599-41c6-846a-53fc7ecb37fb
  5. Ethernet Cable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet Cable: Hello, my name is ElavI wanted to ask, that if I connect Ethernet cable to my laptop, then does it affect my electricity bills? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-cable/9bcfa1f8-5599-41c6-846a-53fc7ecb37fb
  6. Ethernet Cable

7. Ethernet cable not working.

Ethernet cable not working.: I've been trying for hours now to fix my Ethernet cable with no success. Ever since I had a power cut yesterday in the WiFi options it has displayed my Ethernet as "Unidentified network" and has granted me no internet access. I've troubleshooted the problem and it said...
  8. Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet

Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet: I have my ethernet cable plugged in and my computer detects that it has been plugged in but it just says ethernet no internet. I've had this problem for a while and i believe that it started after an update. Its getting really annoying and ive tried some things across the...
  9. Ethernet cable settings

Ethernet cable settings: Hello I want to replace a 10 year old cat 5, worn, Ethernet cable with a cat 7 cable to connect to my 3 years old HP Envy. The old cable works fine but is prone to falling out my PC. My new cat 7 cable is not recognised by my HP Envy but works happily in another computer....
  10. Ethernet cable unplugged

Ethernet cable unplugged: Hello guys i am having problem with my Ethernet connection. When i connect the cable to the computer nothing happend and if i try to do a troubleshoot it say that there is no calbe pluged. I bought the cable 6 hours ago so it is a new one. The think is i press to reset the...