Windows 10: Ethernet Cable Unplugged After Windows 10 upgrade Semi solved

Discus and support Ethernet Cable Unplugged After Windows 10 upgrade Semi solved in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Reinstalled Windows10Pro x64 this week and all fine. The root cause was the issue with Ethernet Cable Unplugged after Windows 10 upgrade to the most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mfx, Nov 5, 2016.

1. MFX
    mfx Win User

Ethernet Cable Unplugged After Windows 10 upgrade Semi solved

Reinstalled Windows10Pro x64 this week and all fine. The root cause was the issue with Ethernet Cable Unplugged after Windows 10 upgrade to the most recent version 1607 and all updates.
    Got a new router from ISP as thought something may have gone belly up with it after testing second system via LAN, same thing red cross even though connect.
    All cables are good and were working pre which ever update caused the issue.
    So no Ive reinstalled and still have the problem.
    Updated to latest Realtek Drivers :
    Realtek
    Discovered that the Speed and Duplex being on auto Negotiate results in the red cross on the Ethernet port issue.
    Solution to get the LAN connection working was to select 100mbps Full Duplex. Great internet working and router was actually fine.

NOW THE PROBLEM:

My internet is 200mbps and I was getting this fine until a recent windows 10 update. I dont know which one has done this.

Due to the restriction with 100mbps my internet speed is now halved. Not an issue apart from the fact I am paying for 200mbps and this has worked fine since the speed upgrade almost a year ago.

My question is why does the auto negotiate or selecting the 1gbps full duplex result in the Ethernet socket thinking there is no cable connected (red cross).

Two routers can not be wrong both of which are ISP provided with:
    Four Ethernet 10/100/1000BaseT ports
    I've logged onto the router and cannot see anywhere for checking that 10/100/1000 can be selected/deselected so pretty sure the router is auto configured for all 3 speeds.

I am the only system connected when trouble shooting so I know nothing else can be taking the bandwidth.

I have tried to find out what the cause is and can only conclude Windows10 update as impacted something along the way.

Any help greatly appreciated please.

ADDED FOOTONOTE

I have 3 network ports on my system (1 on mobo and 2 on an expansion card). All 3 worked fine prior to the update. All 3 have the same issue. I am using the main ethernet socket on the mobo.

:)

2. MFX
    MFX Win User

[Solved] 1GB Mbps Ethernet Cable Unplugged after Windows 10 upgrade (100Mbps Full Duplex works fine).

Ok sorted. No idea how but a bit of patience paid off. Anyone hitting this thread, here's what happened.

Set up speed/duplex to 1gbps.

No changes to anything previously noted in my OP.

When the red cross came up, waited and the system started to authenticate then red cross came back.

Diagnosed connection, followed option to next steps. Let Windows do it thing.

Disconnected and reconnected.

Red cross appeared, waited, waited (about 30 secs). Started to authenticate. Waited, took about 10 secs or so.

Connection.

Checked status.

1gbps hurrah.

Speed test back up at 211/12mbps down/up speed.

3. MFX
    MFX Win User
    [Solved] 1GB Mbps Ethernet Cable Unplugged after Windows 10 upgrade (100Mbps Full Duplex works fine).

Reinstalled Windows10Pro x64 this week and all fine. The root cause was the issue with Ethernet Cable Unplugged after Windows 10 upgrade to the most recent version 1607 and all updates.

Got a new router from ISP as thought something may have gone belly up with it after testing second system via LAN, same thing red cross even though connect.

All cables are good and were working pre which ever update caused the issue.

So no I’ve reinstalled and still have the problem.

Updated to latest Realtek Drivers:

Realtek

Win10 Auto Installation Program (SID:1908595)

2016/10/25
    Global

Discovered that the Speed and Duplex being on auto Negotiate results in the Red Cross on the Ethernet port issue.

Solution to get the LAN connection working was to select 100mbps Full Duplex.

Great internets working and router was actually fine.

NOW THE PROBLEM:

My internet is 200mbps and I was getting this fine until a recent windows 10 update. I don’t know which one has done this.

Due to the restriction with 100mbps my internet speed is now halved. Not an issue apart from the fact I am paying for 200mbps and this has worked fine since the speed upgrade almost a year ago.

My question is why does the auto negotiate or selecting the 1gbps full duplex result in the Ethernet socket thinking there is no cable connected (red cross).

Two routers cannot be wrong both of which are ISP provided with:

Four Ethernet 10/100/1000BaseT ports

I've logged onto the router and cannot see anywhere for checking that 10/100/1000 can be selected/deselected so pretty sure the router is auto configured for all 3 speeds.

I am the only system connected when trouble shooting so I know nothing else can be taking the bandwidth.

I have tried to find out what the cause is and can only conclude Windows10 update as impacted something along the way.

Any help greatly appreciated please.

ADDED FOOTNOTE

I have 3 network ports on my system (1 on mobo and 2 on an expansion card). All 3 worked fine prior to the update. All 3 have the same issue. I am using the main Ethernet socket on the mobo.

4. Samuria Win User

try setting to simplex as that often is the problem duplex means it can send and receive at full speed at the same time and often the router or pc cant maintain that sort of speed and its rare you will want to upload at 200 meg while you downloading

Samuria, Nov 5, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    Open up Device Manager and uninstall the device and driver. Make sure that you show hidden devices when you go into Network adapters to uninstall and remove all network devices. Also third party security software can mess with things.

My wife's laptop is up to date with Windows 10 and she has had zero issues with networking on it. That means that your problem is either from a incompatible driver that you may have tried installing or the network connections in the registry got screwed up, so that is where going into Device manager and removing the network adapters tends to fix things.

bro67, Nov 5, 2016
  6. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Thank you for the responses.
    @Samuri I've not been able to find any info on simplex setup. Have done a google search and not returned anything of use Im afraid.
    Where can I find the simplex option (nothing in he speed/duplex tab settings)?
    @bro Uninstalled all driers for Realtek.
    Show hidden only revealed Remote NDIS based internet sharing Device. I left this as is.
    No other drivers have been installed. Fresh windows install and then latest Realtek driver update.

3rd party software is eset no security 9 latest updates. This has always been installed on the system pre issue and was running fine at 200mbps connectivity.

There has been no hardware changes to the system.

7. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Ok sorted. No idea how but a bit of patience paid off. Anyone hitting this thread, here's what happened.

Set up speed/duplex to 1gbps.

No changes to anything previously noted in my OP.

When the red cross came up, waited and the system started to authenticate then red cross came back.

Diagnosed connection, followed option to next steps. Let Windows do it thing.

Disconnected and reconnected.

Red cross appeared, waited, waited (about 30 secs). Started to authenticate. Waited, took about 10 secs or so.

Connection.

Checked status.

1gbps hurrah.

Speed test back up at 211/12mbps down/up speed.

8. spapakons Win User

It looks like your card could not lock at higher than 100Mbps speed, that's why it worked at 100MBps but not at 1Gbps. By reinstalling the driver the issue is corrected. Of course ESET could affect that, but now it is apparently working. Anyone else experiencing similar issues try disabling Antivirus and reinstall drivers. Once you are online you can enable Antivirus again.

spapakons, Nov 5, 2016
  9. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Hmm Eset may have been interfering. Although wasnt switched off through the whole process.

It actually odd as it didnt work at all and was online live chat with microsoft when I connected a cat6 cable to a secondary lan port whilst online.

This mysteriously and suddenly worked.
    When I disconnected the cat5e on the original lan port and reconnected, it hit the 1g. Really odd, but something obvioulsy pushed through eventually.
    Incidentally, this was by chance and no actions taken by the microsoft advice.

Thanks Spapakons, again as usual nice response.

10. bro67 Win User
    I am having to swap out a bunch of patch cords because I am coming across in my jumpers that are kept connected since I put them in, that the tangs are no longer locking and you can wiggle them just enough to make the connection fail.

It comes from how cheap they make the Male and Female parts anymore. Failed Obsolescence by defective part is causing us to have to start replacing hardware also.

bro67, Nov 6, 2016
  11. MFX
    mfx Win User
    Yes this is plausible. However in my case I have been testing my existing cable and 2 new cat6 cables. Wish it was that simple, I just hope the latch doesn't unhinge itself again Ethernet Cable Unplugged After Windows 10 upgrade Semi solved :mad:)

12. bro67 Win User
    I have come across 4 of my jumpers that the latches are breaking off, because of how long that I have had them plugged in. I just ordered a bunch of replacements through Monoprice for $25 vs. almost $80 if I went with L-Com's Premium cords. I am replacing the patch cords at this point, because they are well over five years old and starting to show the latch failing on them, even though they have never been touched since I installed them. Just regular scheduled maintenance as a part of keeping our home networks running better than our employers so called IT people take care of those systems, who can never figure out that it is usually a bad patch cord or jack the majority of times.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Ethernet Cable Unplugged After Windows 10 upgrade Semi solved - Similar Threads - Ethernet Cable Unplugged

2. Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem: Laptop = Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL OS = Windows 10Modem = Netmaster Infinity 401USB to Ethernet Adapter = ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter---I plugged my adapter into the SS USB port on my laptop, then connected the adapter with my modem via an ethernet...
  3. Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem: Laptop = Lenovo IdeaPad S340-15IWL OS = Windows 10Modem = Netmaster Infinity 401USB to Ethernet Adapter = ASIX AX88179 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter---I plugged my adapter into the SS USB port on my laptop, then connected the adapter with my modem via an ethernet...
  4. Ethernet Network Cable Unplugged Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Ethernet network cable unplugged message on Windows 10 Pro

Ethernet network cable unplugged message on Windows 10 Pro: I recently received this message and noticed the data transmission light no longer flickering in the Ethernet port on my Dell Optiplex 9010 AIO. Opening the network properties on the installed IntelR 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection indicates “This device is working...
  6. Network Cable Unplugged After Installing Windows 10

Network Cable Unplugged After Installing Windows 10: Hi After having a system crash I had to install Windows 10. Previously I had been running Windows 7 on two computers that were networked. I have kept Windows 7 on my second computer. When I was running Windows 7 the network was running OK. Since I installed Windows 10 on my...
  7. Ethernet unplugged - > not connected/cable unplugged

Ethernet unplugged - > not connected/cable unplugged: Like the title says, it says ethernet unidentified and then unplugged all within 2 seconds and it keeps happening again, and again, I can fix this by going to adapter properties then qos packet scheduler - > configure - > advanced and change speed & duplex to 10mbps half or...
  8. Ethernet cable might be unplugged or broken

Ethernet cable might be unplugged or broken: Excuse me sir, My wifi was working fine till yesterday and i have wlan and i have never used a cable network. When i was gaming suddenly my wifi got disconnected and i could not reconnect to my wifi. I have tried the following steps below, 1)Update the drivers 2)Speed and...
  9. Ethernet cable unplugged

Ethernet cable unplugged: Hello guys i am having problem with my Ethernet connection. When i connect the cable to the computer nothing happend and if i try to do a troubleshoot it say that there is no calbe pluged. I bought the cable 6 hours ago so it is a new one. The think is i press to reset the...
  10. "Network Cable Unplugged" on Ethernet Connection

"Network Cable Unplugged" on Ethernet Connection: Let's start at the beginning... In early November I broke my collarbone which resulted in my being out of work since. Being unable to really sit in my office at my desk (plugged directly into the modem as I typically am via ethernet), I moved my laptop downtairs and began...