Windows 10: Ethernet Can't Obtain an IP Address from My Router

Discus and support Ethernet Can't Obtain an IP Address from My Router in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Just recently, and seemingly out of the blue, my Windows 10 desktop PC's Ethernet adapter lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP (i.e.,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bulldog, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Bulldog Win User

Ethernet Can't Obtain an IP Address from My Router

Just recently, and seemingly out of the blue, my Windows 10 desktop PC's Ethernet adapter lost its ability to obtain an IP address from DHCP (i.e., from my router.) My PC's WiFi adapter has no such problem - only Ethernet has the problem.

Here is a complete list of everything I have tried to solve the problem - nothing worked:

* re-seated the Ethernet adapter
    * disabled and re-enabled the Ethernet adapter in the Network Connections control panel
    * uninstalled and re-installed the Ethernet adapter in Device Manager
    * re-booted the computer multiple times
    * power cycled my router and modem multiple times
    * used a different Ethernet cable
    * checked that the Ethernet adapter was using the most recent driver - see below
    * checked that my router had the latest firmware
    * assigned a static IP address in my router
    * plugged my Ethernet cable into a different Ethernet connector on my router
    * reset Winsock
    * removed 'hidden' network adapters from Device Manager
    * temporarily disabled my security software (Kaspersky)
    * restored a backup image from the day before the trouble first began

Regarding drivers: Since my Ethernet adapter comes from Intel, I ran the Intel Driver & Support Assistant to "identify your products and get driver and software updates for most of your Intel hardware." The utility recognized my Ethernet adapter ("This device is working properly") but "Sorry, no software updates are available."

Windows Event Viewer shows:

"Your computer was not assigned an address from the network by the DHCP Server for [my Ethernet adapter.] The following error occurred: 0x79. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

I haven't yet found an explanation of error 0x79. (It's probably something generic.)

Admittedly, my (Asus RT-N56U) router is several years old, and has not had a firmware update for several years. Still, it worked perfectly well with Ethernet until just a few days ago.

One final test: I have a Chromebook (love it.) I ran the Ethernet cable from my router to an Ethernet-to-USB C adapter and plugged the USB C cable into my Chromebook. I had no trouble getting on the internet!

So:
    * It's not the Ethernet adapter - it works fine when plugged directly into my modem.
    * It's not the Ethernet cable - it also works fine when plugged directly into my modem, and it works fine with my Chromebook.
    * It's not the router - it works fine when I connect it to my Chromebook.

There's something about the combination of my Ethernet adapter and router that doesn't work ... the adapter can't get an IP address from the router.

Now I'm really worn out. (And if you've read this far, you must be too.) WiFi works fine, but I would really like to find out why Ethernet stopped working. I am out of ideas *Banghead so I'll be very grateful to hear your ideas.

:)

Bulldog, Oct 30, 2019

2. No IP address for Ethernet connection

Hello

I'm Peter F independent Advisor

Solution 1 – Reboot the system

Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error can be caused by Fast Startup feature. To fix this error, you need to follow these steps to disable Fast Startup:

Press Windows Key + S and enter control panel. Now select Control Panel from the list of results.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration TP Link

Select the Power Options from Control Panel.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration TP Netgear

In the left pane, click on Choose what the power button does.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration Powerline

Select Change settings that are currently unavailable.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration router

Uncheck the box beside Turn on fast startup (recommended) near the bottom of the window to turn off Fast Startup.

Select Save changes.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP query

Reboot your computer.

Solution 2 – Check the Network Adapter Settings

The router works to designate the IP address automatically. This is the default setting, though you can still choose to assign a specific IP address. In that case, you ought to set the IP address to automatic first and check the Internet Properties for the
    correct settings once it is connected. Follow the instructions below:

Hold the Windows Key and press R.

Enter ncpa.cpl in the input field and click OK.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration Unidentified Network

Right click your Network Adapter in the Network Connections window and select Properties.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid connection

From the Ethernet Properties window, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid config

You will then see the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties window. Enable the following options:

Obtain an IP Address Automatically

Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically

If obtaining the IP address and DNS automatically doesn’t fix the problem, you might want to consider setting both your IP address and DNS manually. To do that, follow these steps:

Open your connection properties, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click on Properties.

Now select Use the following IP address and Use the following DNS server addresses. Fill in the data like on the screenshot below. After you’re done, click OK to save changes. To see the necessary information such as Default gateway and Subnet mask, you can
    just check connection properties on any other device that can connect successfully to your network.

Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP address

Keep in mind that we changed our DNS to Google’s DNS in our solutions. According to users, it’s not mandatory to change both IP address and DNS, but if setting the IP address manually doesn’t help, be sure to change your DNS as well.

Solution 3 – Restart the router and check Ethernet cable

After performing the steps above, turn off your router or modem and switch it back on after five minutes. Now check if your PC has the valid IP configuration. If it still does not work, connect your router to your PC using a different Ethernet cable.

Otherwise, you may need to use a different router. If connecting to other routers won’t solve the problem, then there is an issue with your network card. Perform a factory restore to your network card, and if it does not help, replace it.

Solution 4 – Reinstall your Network Adapter

After completing the steps above, you must uninstall and reinstall your network adapter. Here is how:

Hold the Windows Key and press R.

Type hdwwiz.cpl in the input field and click OK.

Ethernet doesn't work

Expand the Network Adapters, right click on your Ethernet card, and choose Uninstall device.

Ethernet doesn't work on laptop

When the confirmation dialog appears, click on Uninstall.

Ethernet doesn't have IP configuration

Reinstall your network adapter using the driver accompanying the hardware.

If reinstalling the Ethernet card does not solve the problem, you should reinstall the network interface card using the latest version of the driver from the manufacturer’s portal.

Solution 5 – Use Command Prompt

If you can’t access Internet due to Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error message, you might be able to solve the problem by using Command Prompt. According to users, you can solve this problem simply by running a couple of commands. To do that,
    follow these steps:

Press Windows Key + X and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the menu. If Command Prompt isn’t available, feel free to use PowerShell (Admin) instead.

Ethernet doesn't connect to Internet

When Command Prompt opens, enter the following commands:

netsh winsock reset

netsh int IP reset

After running these commands, you just have to restart your PC in order to apply the changes. Once your PC restarts, the problem should be resolved and you’ll be able to access the Internet without any issues.

I hope it helps

Pedro V Flores, Oct 30, 2019
  3. Configure the network device to automatically obtain an IP address

Our router blocks internet access to a Windows Mobile 7.8 smart phone. The phone gets assigned new IP adresses, thus getting the router to believe it is trying to evade parental control. The router's manufacturer suggest configuring the network device
    to automatically obtain an IP address. How can I do this on this phone?

KrisStynen, Oct 30, 2019
  4. bencrutz Win User

Assigning Static IP Address Range in a Router

yep, pretty much all.

for point #2 if you are having difficulty binding static IP in the router, it is ok to set static IP in the camera instead - just make sure you take a note on which IP is which camera so that you wouldnt put the wrong IP in the port forwarding.

am not sure what you meant. you don't need ddns to access the camera locally (from inside your LAN) *Confused Ethernet Can't Obtain an IP Address from My Router :confused:

bencrutz, Oct 30, 2019
Thema:

1. Ethernet Can't Obtain an IP Address from My Router - Similar Threads - Ethernet Can't Obtain

2. Failed to obtain IP address from DHCP Server

in Windows 10 News
    Failed to obtain IP address from DHCP Server: [ATTACH]DHCP stands for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. It provides IP addresses and other related configuration information such as subnet mask and default gateway to the client machine. DHCP is important, especially when it comes to large networks because it...
  3. How to change Fixed IP Address to "Obtain and IP address " On my PC using windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to change Fixed IP Address to "Obtain and IP address " On my PC using windows 10: I recently bought a TP-LINK TL-R600VPN WIRED ROUTER for my home desktop which runs Windows 10 64 bit . The router's configuration instructions say " 1. Connect a PC to a LAN port of the router with an RJ45 cable properly. If your computer is configured with a fixed IP,...
  4. Windows 10 hotspot stuck at obtaining IP address

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 hotspot stuck at obtaining IP address: I have windows 10 build 1909 and my wifi card is the intel wireless-ac 9260 and have the latest drivers installed and have my PC connected with a LAN cable. When I setup the hotspot connection and try to connect to it from my mobile phone, the phone gets stuck at obtaining IP...
  5. Mobile hotspot, unable to obtain IP address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mobile hotspot, unable to obtain IP address: I've been using the mobile hotspot on windows 10 to provide internet for my phone for a year already and it was working flawlessly until June 2019 (somewhere around that time) which my mobile devices couldn't connect to it anymore. I've tried using 2 mobile phones in which...
  6. How do obtain current IP address for my PC

How do obtain current IP address for my PC: What is the best way to obtain my PC IP address (OS Windows 10)? IPconfig /all doesn't seem to be right? 127450
  7. No IP address for Ethernet connection

No IP address for Ethernet connection: I recently bought a Netgear router. The Ethernet connection on the computer is not recognized because it does not have an IP address. How can I fix that?...
  8. Windows 10 Hotspot - Stuck at obtaining IP Address

Windows 10 Hotspot - Stuck at obtaining IP Address: I'm trying to use my computer as a hot spot for my Xbox and cell phones. Read this entirely because I swear if someone links me to a Microsoft Support article about hot spots I will want to throw my p.c through the wall. First, I tried to enable the hotspot using the mobile...
  9. How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Mac)!

How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Mac)!: Hello all brothers/sisters, Greetings to all! I am newbie here. I am looking for Router IP Address for my Mac. How can I do that? Though I started reading articles from online. And found few good articles like How to Find a Router’s IP Address (for Windows and Mac) |...
  10. Will Switching to New Router Change IP Address?

Will Switching to New Router Change IP Address?: If I switch my current modem router for a new one, would my PC's IP address change or stay the same? Is this my public IP address my cable company assigns me? Would this public address change when switching to a new router? 80099