Windows 10: Ethernet connected but unavailable for use, Windows auto assigning me a 169.254.xxx. IPv4

Discus and support Ethernet connected but unavailable for use, Windows auto assigning me a 169.254.xxx. IPv4 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I’ve tried many possible solutions and even reinstalled Windows at this point. Doing command prompts does absolutely nothing and neither does... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/YSNVyper, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Ethernet connected but unavailable for use, Windows auto assigning me a 169.254.xxx. IPv4

I’ve tried many possible solutions and even reinstalled Windows at this point. Doing command prompts does absolutely nothing and neither does restarting my network adapter. I’ve checked settings for IPv4 under my Ethernet properties and they’re all set correctly. This is seriously frustrating, any help is appreciated

submitted by /u/YSNVyper
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/YSNVyper, Feb 17, 2020

2. Only IPV6 connection through ethernet, ipv4 not connecting (Through google fiber, no router/modem)

1. I was last able to access sites two days ago at night. Yesterday, all ipv4 connections failed.

2. I last patched to the latest version of windows 4-5 days ago, but internet was working fine for 2-3 days after the patch.

3. I'm using chrome, I've tried Edge to no avail.

• I plugged a different computer into the same cord and ethernet port, got the same problem
    • I plugged the this computer with the same cord into a different ethernet port, same problem
    • I plugged this computer with a different cord into the same ethernet port, same problem
    I believe it may be an issue with the building's ethernet itself. However, using a wireless connection to a router that is plugged into the building ethernet through a third port works fine.

I also tried all the steps linked there, no success. I have also tried forcing static ip's for IPV4 connection, but no success there either.

th3ch0wst3r, Feb 17, 2020
  3. Qazxswe Win User
    Windows 10 LAN or WiFi networking gets 169.xxx address on DHCP or static

Surface Pro 4. Windows 10 1709 16299.251

Looking at the above device for a friend. When connecting to network on WiFi it asks for key instantly, and when type in, attempts to connect and then comes back with a "No internet - secured" message. An IPCONFIG shows it has a 169.xxx address. If I config the IPv4 manually with correct details there is still no internet and I can't ping the device. Multiple other devices working on network.

Plugging in a ethernet dongle the same behaviour is exhibited on LAN so believe it's a Windows issue or some sort as discounted adaptor.

• I have tried removing all adaptors/protocols and reinstalled / rebooted
    • Reset winsock via cmd
    • Reset tcpip via cmd
    • Disabled firewall
    • Disabled AV
    • Ran malware scanner

Any ideas?

Edit So I download the Windows 10 iso and performed a repair install. This resolved the issue.

Edit 2 Adding in case anyone has similar issues. Windows then updates and breaks the networking again. It's either KB4088776 or KB4058043 that kills it. Annoying that this is on a Surface! - not sure how to proceed now

Qazxswe, Feb 17, 2020
  4. Moruobai Win User

Ethernet connected but unavailable for use, Windows auto assigning me a 169.254.xxx. IPv4

Windows 10 - Ethernet has a invalid IP-Configuration

Another thing to try that worked for me if none of the above does... In addition to resetting my router I had to reset both WIRE LINE adapters.

This solution may be helpful if your IPv4 address is automatically assigned to 169.254.*.*, which means your Ethernet hardware can't connect to the router to be auto assigned a IPv4 address.

Moruobai, Feb 17, 2020
Thema:

Ethernet connected but unavailable for use, Windows auto assigning me a 169.254.xxx. IPv4

1. Ethernet connected but unavailable for use, Windows auto assigning me a 169.254.xxx. IPv4 - Similar Threads - Ethernet connected unavailable

2. my pc is not automatically assigning an ipv4 address

in Windows 10 Gaming
    my pc is not automatically assigning an ipv4 address: it does assign one at startup. but it just disappears after 5 seconds after booting upwhen i hover my mouse over my ethernet connection on the taskbar it says there's 2 network connection'sit says there is internet but there's not i cant access itnetworknetwork 2when this...
  3. my pc is not automatically assigning an ipv4 address

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    my pc is not automatically assigning an ipv4 address: it does assign one at startup. but it just disappears after 5 seconds after booting upwhen i hover my mouse over my ethernet connection on the taskbar it says there's 2 network connection'sit says there is internet but there's not i cant access itnetworknetwork 2when this...
  4. my pc is not automatically assigning an ipv4 address

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Connect to internet using only ipv4 connectivity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connect to internet using only ipv4 connectivity: Recently got a new router. According to their customer service, it is not IPV6 Enabled. On my network adapters status shows IPV4 is connected but IPV6 has no network access. I can not access the internet. I’ve tried 3 different types of network adapters including Ethernet....
  6. Connect to internet using only ipv4 connectivity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Connect to internet using only ipv4 connectivity: Recently got a new router. According to their customer service, it is not IPV6 Enabled. On my network adapters status shows IPV4 is connected but IPV6 has no network access. I can not access the internet. I’ve tried 3 different types of network adapters including Ethernet....
  7. Connect to internet using only ipv4 connectivity

8. Hyper V is assigning incorrect ipv4 address

Hyper V is assigning incorrect ipv4 address: I am running Oracle Linux on Windows 10 Hyper V. I am using the Hyper V Default Switch for internet access. But looks like Hyper V dhcp is assigning incorrect ipv4 address.As you can see in screenshot, the ipv4 assigned for linux vm is 172.30.20.150 with default route/gateway...
  9. Windows not showing ethernet Ipv4 address

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows not showing ethernet Ipv4 address: I want to play minecraft on lan and i can't connect to server without ethernet Ipv4 address. I researched in cmd, it not showing. I tried and in setting of ethernet, but there also not showing address. What me do?...
  10. Assigning software to use Ethernet port or wifi.

Assigning software to use Ethernet port or wifi.: Im using a Win10 Pro B1803 64bit. My laptop has a Ethernet port and Wifi. the Ethernet port is connecting company's local working network and the Wifi is connecting to the company's wifi network for internet. Here is my question, is there any possible way that I can...