Windows 10: Ethernet connection fails after coming out of sleep mode Windows 10

Discus and support Ethernet connection fails after coming out of sleep mode Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Every 3rd or 4th time that my desktop comes out of sleep mode I lose my internet connection, wired. To regain the connection I have to restart the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by EmilioPugliese, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Ethernet connection fails after coming out of sleep mode Windows 10

Every 3rd or 4th time that my desktop comes out of sleep mode I lose my internet connection, wired. To regain the connection I have to restart the computer.

This has been a recent event...it only started happening a few weeks ago.

So, I went on device manager, to check out my network adapter, Realkek PCIe GBE family controller, and under properties/events there is this message:

Device PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_84321043&REV_06\4&1d7623a1&0&00E2 requires further installation.

Note:

-Apparently the adapter's driver is up to date.

-My desktop originally came with Window's 7

Any help greatly appreciated.

:)

EmilioPugliese, Apr 25, 2020

2. Sleep Mode Disconnects Ethernet Internet Connection - An Oldie but a Goodie

Hi,

There's a possibility that your Ethernet connection is not enabled to wake on magic packet. For us to isolate this, let's look into the advanced settings of your network adapter. Follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Device Manager > Network adapters.
    2. Right-click on your Ethernet connection and click Properties.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. Under Property, scroll down and select Wake on magic packet.
    5. Set the value to Enabled.
    6. Click OK.

Once done, try to observe if Ethernet connection still disconnects if put to sleep mode.

Looking forward to your reply..

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Apr 25, 2020
  3. xtal01 Win User
    loosing ethernet connection on sleep

Soooo ... I have read a lot of posts on this subject but still not found an answer.

I have 4 computers networked together .... two windows 7 units, one linux unit and one windows 10 unit.

The problem is with the windows 10 unit.

When it goes to sleep, I loose my Ethernet connection.

I can actually watch on the other computers as the unit drops off the network (and out of the homegroup).

This means I can not talk to. There is no way of waking it up.

I need to walk over to it and actually wake it up ... then I see it come back up on the network.

Great unless I am in the shop rather than the house and I need to walk over to the house to wake it up.

I did all the things suggested including going into the Device Manager and making sure
    1) that I have "allow the computer to turn off this device" ... not checked
    2) "wake on magic packet" ... enabled
    3) "wake on pattern match" ... enabled

Still when it goes to sleep, I loose the connection.

So, I now tell the computer not to sleep .... enter "never" in both "sleep" under power and sleep and "never" under sleep in the "additional power settings".

The problem is, now my hard driver never sleeps!

Even if I have not used the computer for several hours, it is still spinning and the light flashes about once every 10 seconds.

My problem is, I can't believe it is good for the drive to run 24/7!

When I had it in sleep mode, saw (and could hear) that the drive stopped .... did not run for most of the day since I only use my computer for a hour or two at most each day.

Now the drive is running all the time. I assume it will fail a lot sooner doing this.

So, what am I missing?

Is there some setting in Windows 10 where I can tell the computer .... or more correctly the hard drive .... to shut down without loosing the Ethernet connection so that I can access this computer on the network when I want to?

Thanks so much ...... Mike

xtal01, Apr 25, 2020
  4. Ethernet connection fails after coming out of sleep mode Windows 10

Delay in Ethernet Connectivity when exiting Sleep Mode.

Why yes, this is yet another one of those threads.

I recently migrated from a Windows 7 machine (Requiescat In Pace) to a Dell XPS 8910 Windows 10 Machine. I've used an Ethernet cable from both machines directly to my router to get internet access, and it runs like a dream. I'm writing this from the Windows 10 Machine in question.

The problem, however, comes when the machine exits sleep mode. Though this was never an issue with my 7 machine, it takes approximately 2-3 minutes for the network to actually connect. The Ethernet network will report as being connected, however, there is no internet service. After that few minutes, it connects just fine and I'm able to do suspicious things on the internet as per usual. The Network Troubleshooter doesn't offer any clues.

Is there any advice ya'll can offer? Most support seems to be for situations where the network never connects.

Thanks in advance.

AFunnyUsername, Apr 25, 2020
Thema:

Ethernet connection fails after coming out of sleep mode Windows 10

1. Ethernet connection fails after coming out of sleep mode Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Ethernet connection fails

2. Issues coming out of sleep mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues coming out of sleep mode: My laptop Thinkpad T14 AMD Gen 1 has had issues in sleep mode ever since the Windows 11 Update. Issues include: Not coming out of sleep mode and I have to hold the power button to reboot Locking up on the face recognition screen for 60+ seconds, then getting the blue screen...
  3. Issues coming out of sleep mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues coming out of sleep mode: My laptop Thinkpad T14 AMD Gen 1 has had issues in sleep mode ever since the Windows 11 Update. Issues include: Not coming out of sleep mode and I have to hold the power button to reboot Locking up on the face recognition screen for 60+ seconds, then getting the blue screen...
  4. Sleep mode disabling ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sleep mode disabling ethernet connection: Hi,For the past few months, sleep mode has been disabling the ethernet connection on two PCs both connected to the same router through wired ethernet connection. A simple disable/enable on ethernet in the network connections settings page re-enables the connection. Display...
  5. WIFI Connection drops everytme Windows comes out of sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI Connection drops everytme Windows comes out of sleep mode.: Why does my lenovo B40, Windows 10 laptop continue to disconnet from my WIFI everytime it comes out of sleep mode? I have to reboot every time in order to reestablish the WIFI connection because Micorsofts troubleshooting program can't fix it....
  6. Windows 10 resizing all windows after coming out of "sleep" mode.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 resizing all windows after coming out of "sleep" mode.: Everytime my system sleeps it changes the windows to a smaller size and positions them to the top left side of the screen. This is a brand new Acer desktop with an Acer monitor, so everything should be default. How do I stop this annoyance from happening. I can see that...
  7. Monitor won't come out of sleep mode after Update

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor won't come out of sleep mode after Update: My Dell Inspiron Desktop with Win 10 recently installed 2 updates: Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 (KB3213647) and 2017-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4041676). Following Cumulative Update...
  8. Unable to come out of Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to come out of Sleep mode: Running a Dell XPS 15, (L502X). Upgraded from 7 to 10 Pro yesterday. Played around a bit with the new OS and then went off to other things. Laptop went into sleep mode after 15 minutes as it always has. But this time I couldn't wake it up. Required me to power off the unit,...
  9. Crash (hard reboot) after coming OUT of Sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Crash (hard reboot) after coming OUT of Sleep mode: Purchased refurbished Dell Optiplex 755 SFF came with Win7. Performed update to Win10. I only use this machine for watching tv in a spare room, so no important data. No extra software / bloatware / antivirus / etc is installed on it. Only USB device is an IR receiver...
  10. Won't come out of sleep mode.

in Windows 10 Support
    Won't come out of sleep mode.: I have a Dell laptop with Windows 10 on it. When it goes into sleep mode, if I swipe the touch pad within a few seconds it will come out of sleep mode. However if I'm not at the computer so that it is in sleep mode for a while, then when I swipe the touch to pad wake it up...