Windows 10: Ethernet connection failure

Discus and support Ethernet connection failure in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a Windows 11 system connected VIA ethernet to a Netgear Prosafe switch. I randomly find the system offline. When I check the switch, the port... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Aaron Loney1, Jun 9, 2023.

1. Ethernet connection failure

I have a Windows 11 system connected VIA ethernet to a Netgear Prosafe switch. I randomly find the system offline. When I check the switch, the port light is off. Only way to fix it is to reboot or remove the network card driver and re-install. To test, i have installed a new card and have the same problem. Just randomly goes offline. Disabled power management on the card. Ran system file scan and image cleanup and scan health and no errors. Im at a loss.

:)

Aaron Loney1, Jun 9, 2023

2. ethernet connection failure

If there is a question here it is how come an update on one laptop also screws up the other? Apart from that maybe this will help someone else if they get a very similar problem.

I am currently transitioning from a Windows 10 laptop to a Windows 11 laptop. Neither has its own ethernet connector so I have a hub which provides that and other device connectivity to only one laptop.

Symptons: could not connect my Windows 11 laptop via ethernet (my default method) but wifi was working.

In Settings the ethernet connection was not shown.

The ethernet adapter did not appear in Device Manager/Network adapters.

The most useful article was this:

Fix Ethernet connection problems in Windows - Microsoft Support

I tried most of the steps outlined in the above, some of which failed since the ethernet adapter had apparently disappeared. At the time I couldn't play with the main router into the house because someone else was working with it quite happily. I even did a network reset.

The article suggests uninstalling the ethernet driver, especially if there has been a recent update. The failure occurred just after the following updates had been installed.

Windows 11, version 22H2

2022-12 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5021255)

2022-12 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8.1 for Windows 11, version 22H2 for x64 (KB5020880)

So I did uninstall the driver after carefully copying it elsewhere just in case.

On rebooting the computer nothing had changed.

What was more worrying was neither the ethernet nor the wifi was working when I connected up my old Windows 10 laptop which had also been working perfectly in the morning.

This morning I switched the router off for five minutes and restarted it.

I plugged the Windows 10 laptop into the hub and all was working.

I plugged the Windows 11 laptop int the hub, booted it up and that was working find too, the ethernet driver had been reinstalled with no further intervention on my part.

From where I'm sitting, but I am not a Windows expert, it looks as if the Windows updates screwed the ethernet connection in some way which affected both the new and old laptops and I really really don't see why that should have happened.

old&Cynical, Jun 9, 2023
  3. MarcoArik Win User
    How to delete an ethernet connection?

Just as title says. I have some old ethernet connections in my list, and I would like to delete it to clean.

Any suggestion?

MarcoArik, Jun 9, 2023
  4. Ethernet connection failure

Cannot connect to ethernet no valid ip configuration

We appreciate the information you've provided. We'd like to confirm the results after following the steps on the link provided on our previous post.

Meanwhile, to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check the following:

• If the Ethernet port is clean.

• If the end of RJ45 (Ethernet cord) is still intact.

• If available, test the RJ45 (Ethernet cord) to your other device and check if issue persists.

We look forward to your reply so we can assist you further.

Zedrick Del, Jun 9, 2023
Thema:

Ethernet connection failure

1. Ethernet connection failure - Similar Threads - Ethernet connection failure

2. Ethernet connection failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet connection failure: I have a Windows 11 system connected VIA ethernet to a Netgear Prosafe switch. I randomly find the system offline. When I check the switch, the port light is off. Only way to fix it is to reboot or remove the network card driver and re-install. To test, i have installed a new...
  3. Intermittent internet connection failure with ethernet cable connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intermittent internet connection failure with ethernet cable connection: My computer is connected by ethernet cable to my modem. About half the time I can connect to the internet, and half the time it will say there is no connection. This only fixes itself if I restart the computer, which always solves it. How can I get it to connect every time...
  4. Intermittent internet connection failure with ethernet cable connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intermittent internet connection failure with ethernet cable connection: My computer is connected by ethernet cable to my modem. About half the time I can connect to the internet, and half the time it will say there is no connection. This only fixes itself if I restart the computer, which always solves it. How can I get it to connect every time...
  5. Intermittent internet connection failure with ethernet cable connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. ethernet connection failure

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ethernet connection failure: If there is a question here it is how come an update on one laptop also screws up the other? Apart from that maybe this will help someone else if they get a very similar problem.I am currently transitioning from a Windows 10 laptop to a Windows 11 laptop. Neither has its own...
  7. ethernet connection failure

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ethernet connection failure: If there is a question here it is how come an update on one laptop also screws up the other? Apart from that maybe this will help someone else if they get a very similar problem.I am currently transitioning from a Windows 10 laptop to a Windows 11 laptop. Neither has its own...
  8. Ethernet Connectivity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Connectivity: I am going insane I've tried nearly everything I can think of but despite my internet connect being fine for every other device and my ethernet being plugged in I cant access the internet. I've done a network reset, I've done a router reset, I've updated drivers but I still...
  9. LAN or Ethernet Connector failures

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    LAN or Ethernet Connector failures: I recently bought a computer and installed windows 10 pro on it. I bought the license and activated it and everything was going perfectly. But one day the internet the computer only works with cable started to fail. I thought it was the coverage of the modem but I brought my...
  10. Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Cable Connected, But No Ethernet: I have my ethernet cable plugged in and my computer detects that it has been plugged in but it just says ethernet no internet. I've had this problem for a while and i believe that it started after an update. Its getting really annoying and ive tried some things across the...