Windows 10: Ethernet connection on and off with wifi repeater

Discus and support Ethernet connection on and off with wifi repeater in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, this forum is my last hope. In order to work from home I want to connect the work PC upstairs with a wifi repeater Wireless-N Wifi Repeater.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Puigdemont, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Ethernet connection on and off with wifi repeater

Hello, this forum is my last hope.

In order to work from home I want to connect the work PC upstairs with a wifi repeater Wireless-N Wifi Repeater.

I get internet signal, however it is intermittent and it does not last more than 20 seconds. The network adapter LED also goes on an off every 10-20 seconds.

I have tried with my laptop windows 7, a PC ubuntu and another laptop windows10 Home and both work fine and get a stable connection. The work PC is windows 10 enterprise.

The strange thing is that if I connect the work PC directly to the router I get full stable connection.

I have read that it could be the Disable Energy efficient ethernet option on windows10, however I cannot understand why it works directly from the router.

Does anybody have any advice?

Thanks in advance

:)

Puigdemont, Jan 4, 2021
  2. srdavis Win User

Make Windows 10 connect/disconnect to WiFi based on Ethernet connection status

Steps:

1. Go to Control Panel\ All Control Panel Items\ Network and Sharing Center > click on 'Change adapter settings' then use the 'alt button' to show menus and select Advanced Settings...
    2. Under Connections section, select Ethernet, and use the arrows to the right to move Ethernet above WiFi.
    3. Click OK.

Windows will now prefer the Ethernet over the WiFi for connecting to the internet. This should apply for Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.

srdavis, Jan 4, 2021
  3. Leveller Win User
    Setting up a wifi repeater woes - all advice appreciated!

First off, setting up a wifi repeater is one of the most ridiculously painful experiences I have ever had with tech hardware.

The needs:

... to be able to repeat the wifi output of my Netgear DG834N v1 ADSL/router to the upper floor of my house through the Edimax wireless 300M Range Extender (EW-7416APn v2). To enable my iPad2, 3DS, laptop and anything else that roams to maintain connection and not suffer dropouts.

The questions:

1. How do I know that the roaming devices are using the repeated signal from the Edimax extender and not just grasping on to the weak signal from the DG834N downstairs?

2. Some advice on the net suggest the router and the extender share the same SSID, which seems logical. However some suggest that the router and extender need to be on different SSIDs - but if this were the case surely the devices would only connect to the same SSID and ignore the other SSID?

3. If they use different SSIDs will the devices automatically pick the strongest signal and switch to whichever SSID that is?

4. Some advice suggests using the same channel number for both router and extender, which seems logical. Some advice suggests using different channel numbers for the router and extender - if using the same channel number, does this create too much data and make the connection worse?

5. If using different channel numbers, will the roaming devices automatically choose the right channel number based on connection strength?

6. While using the program WirelessMon I can see both the router and extender and their respective signal strengths, channel numbers and SSIDs - but there is no way of telling if the repeater is in fact repeating the routers signal - is there any software that will show that?

7. Is there any one trusted source for setting up a wifi repeater?

8. Will my hair grow back?

Leveller, Jan 4, 2021
  4. Ethernet connection on and off with wifi repeater

Windows 10 No Longer Connects to Ethernet and WiFi

This week brought Win10 ver 1903 and I can no longer get WiFi to connect if the ethernet cable is plugged in. If I boot with ethernet, manually trying to connect WiFi silently fails. If I boot without ethernet, WiFi is automatically connected yet drops
    if I plug in the ethernet cable. Both the WiFi and the ethernet work fine by themselves, just not at the same time so I don't think it is a driver problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

PrestonClark4, Jan 4, 2021
Thema:

Ethernet connection on and off with wifi repeater

1. Ethernet connection on and off with wifi repeater - Similar Threads - Ethernet connection off

2. Ethernet not connecting to WIFI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet not connecting to WIFI: Does anyone know why my ethernet is not connecting to my WIFI. I have disabled the drivers and restarted my router and modem. It no longer shows the same SSID....
  3. Ethernet not connecting to WIFI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet not connecting to WIFI: Does anyone know why my ethernet is not connecting to my WIFI. I have disabled the drivers and restarted my router and modem. It no longer shows the same SSID....
  4. ethernet & WIFI connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ethernet & WIFI connections: Results for "Results for "While using my Surface laptop for setting up AB Stratix switches. I'm using a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and the Chrome browser I get a privacy error which reads "your connection is not private.". SURFACE-LAPTOP" I get the same message trying to connect...
  5. ethernet & WIFI connections

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    ethernet & WIFI connections: Results for "Results for "While using my Surface laptop for setting up AB Stratix switches. I'm using a USB-to-RJ45 adapter and the Chrome browser I get a privacy error which reads "your connection is not private.". SURFACE-LAPTOP" I get the same message trying to connect...
  6. Ethernet or Wifi connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet or Wifi connection: If I am connected to the internet with both the ethernet and WIFI connections, how can I tell which one is in use?Is it possible that they are both being used?Will my PC automatically choose the better one?...
  7. No WIFI or Ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No WIFI or Ethernet connection: I have just built a new computer and downloaded an older version of Windows 10 from a USB I had laying around with the intention of updating the system to the newest version of Windows 10, however, I cannot connect to either WIFI or Ethernet meaning that I cannot just update...
  8. repeatable Ethernet death when shutting down with WiFi connected

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    repeatable Ethernet death when shutting down with WiFi connected: without fail, when i am connected to a WiFi AP away from the home office, whether ethernet is connected as well or not\*, when the computer comes back up, Ethernet flat out does not work properly for any application DESPITE being able to ping out to the network (LAN or WAN)....
  9. connecting WIFI repeater

in Windows 10 Customization
    connecting WIFI repeater: Does any know how to connect a WIFI repeater? They are suppose to extend your WIFI range in your home. I keep getting the message that there is conflicting IP addresses. They both have the same address. How does one change the IP address on the repeater?...
  10. Connected by Ethernet and WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Connected by Ethernet and WiFi: Right now my computer is connected by 1.0 Gbps Ethernet and 1.3 Gbps WiFi. Can Windows 10 take advantage of this or should I disable one these connections? 83525