Windows 10: Ethernet connection problems - IPCONFIG says Media Disconnected - WiFi works fine

Discus and support Ethernet connection problems - IPCONFIG says Media Disconnected - WiFi works fine in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; How do I check if the network adapter is present in the BIOS. I'm running Windows 10 on an old 8-yrs Dell Laptop. How can I find the answer w/o... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mightynuke, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Ethernet connection problems - IPCONFIG says Media Disconnected - WiFi works fine

How do I check if the network adapter is present in the BIOS. I'm running Windows 10 on an old 8-yrs Dell Laptop. How can I find the answer w/o leaving my email address?

:)

mightynuke, Oct 28, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

IPCONFIG /ALL reveals Media State = Media Disconnected for many users

It is perfectly clear.

Look at my screen shot. The "Ethernet adaptor Local Area Connedtion" doesn't say media disconnected.

That is because there is a cable connected to that connection. That is where my internet and network is coming from. Because that connection doesn't say media disconnected, I have network access and internet access. If I unplug the network cable from my machine, and run it again, it changes to media disconnected.

When you add the /all switch to ipconfig, it shows you every network connection.

The isatap and tunnelling connections that it lists are NOT releated to your ISP. They are actually virtual connections created to handle sending IPv6 packets over a private IPv4 network. It only really applies to very specific conditions, and for the most part will always say media disconnected. You should ignore these, as they have nothing to do with if you are actually connected to a network or the Internet.

newtekie1, Oct 28, 2020
  3. mh004 Win User
    ipconfig: media disconnection

So I'm writing this using wifi. So my laptop don't have an ethernet port. i bought a hub to use it. in the past can get the IPv4 address with ipconfig. But now, when I do it, it says "media disconnected" under ethernet. I also wanted to note that I have
    a desktop and im connected to the internet via ethernet. When I type ipconfig on the desktop, I get media disconnection as well

ipconfig on desktop that uses ethernet for internet:

After pressing ipconfig :

ipconfig on laptop that is connected to the internet via wifi. I need the IPv4 of this laptop:

What i have tried:

1) on command terminal:

netshwinsock reset catalog:

netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log:

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log:

Then restarted pc but didnt solve problem

2) on command terminal:

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netshwinsock reset catalog

Restarted pc and still no solve.

I got those commands from here btw.

3)

Went to device manager and then disabled all the network stuff and enabled them. still dont work. Then i uninstalled them and rebooted and it still doesnt work. getting same "media disconnected"

4)

i have completely reset my pc and the same issue. I looked at another laptop i have, and its says media disconnected on that as well.

5)

I have also taken the power cord of the modem out, waited 10 secs and then put the cord back in and after the router booted, im still having the same issue in both pcs.

**Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for more information on how you can protect your privacy.**

**Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings / PC **

mh004, Oct 28, 2020
  4. Jammaries Win User

Ethernet connection problems - IPCONFIG says Media Disconnected - WiFi works fine

Media Disconnected after ipconfig/release and cannot connect.

So there was an internet outage but I thought it was something to do with my computer. So I went into the elevated cmd prompt and inputed

ipconfig/flushdns -> enter

ipconfig/registerdns -> enter

ipconfig/release -> enter

and it failed at ipconfig /renew -> enter.

Instead I get this:

C:\Users\<redacted>>ipconfig/renew

Windows IP Configuration

No operation can be performed on Ethernet while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 10 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 11 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Ethernet 2 while it has its media disconnected.

No operation can be performed on Bluetooth Network Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Ethernet adapter Ethernet 2:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : <redacted>

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : <redacted>

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : <redacted>

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : <redacted>

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : <redacted>

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

I'm trying to reconnect my media as I don't know what it does but it seems pretty important. I'm accessing my wifi now through a local library.

Jammaries, Oct 28, 2020
Thema:

Ethernet connection problems - IPCONFIG says Media Disconnected - WiFi works fine

1. Ethernet connection problems - IPCONFIG says Media Disconnected - WiFi works fine - Similar Threads - Ethernet connection problems

2. Wifi & Ethernet connected with no connection. But it seems to working fine on my other device.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi & Ethernet connected with no connection. But it seems to working fine on my other device.: This problem has been around for 1 month now. The first thing I do was buying a new Wi-Fi adapter. The problem is somewhat solved but suddenly, my PC can't connect again. Here's the summary:- My PC is connected to my home Wi-Fi, but no connection. The same happen with the LAN...
  3. Ethernet showing not connected but working fine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet showing not connected but working fine: Hello,as the title says my Ethernet is showing not connected but its working fine. I also cant use any Microsoft related ProgrammsMicrosoft Store, online search in Powerpoint.... I dont know what to do and i have tried everything. I also cannot access my Network Settings....
  4. Ethernet showing not connected but working fine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet showing not connected but working fine: Hello,as the title says my Ethernet is showing not connected but its working fine. I also cant use any Microsoft related ProgrammsMicrosoft Store, online search in Powerpoint.... I dont know what to do and i have tried everything. I also cannot access my Network Settings....
  5. Ethernet showing not connected but working fine

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting

Bridging wifi and ethernet connections – wifi keeps disconnecting: Hi all,I am trying to use Windows to bridge my wifi connection to non wifi devices. I have successfully setup the bridge in Network Connections. However, the wifi only stays connected for a few seconds before it disconnects everything is working as expected, with wired...
  7. Ethernet working fine but not wifi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ethernet working fine but not wifi: hello, i am a user of windows 10 pro. but from last some time ethernet connection is working properly but wifi is not working nicely. it keeps on disconnecting again and again and makes trouble. please help me...
  8. Ethernet working fine but not wifi

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ethernet working fine but not wifi: HELLO ' I AM A USER OF WINDOWS 10 PRO. FROM THE LAST SOME MONTHS WIFI IS NOT WORKING ON MY PC BUT WHEN I PLUG A ETHERNET CABLE THE INTERNET STARS WORKING. THE WIFI DISCONNECTES AGAIN AND AGAIN AND SHOWS NO INTERNET INSPITE OF INTERNET DATA LEFT. PLEASE HELP ME. I HAVE TO...
  9. Constant Disconnections through Ethernet [WiFi working fine on all devices]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Constant Disconnections through Ethernet [WiFi working fine on all devices]: I'm at my wits end. I thought I was very computer savvy. I did. Until I started using Ethernet for 'faster, uninterrupted, more reliable connection'. Wi-Fi so far has not quit out [and that's usually the case] in the past week; but through Ethernet I've been getting cut off...
  10. Media Disconnected after ipconfig/release and cannot connect.

Media Disconnected after ipconfig/release and cannot connect.: So there was an internet outage but I thought it was something to do with my computer. So I went into the elevated cmd prompt and inputed ipconfig/flushdns -> enter ipconfig/registerdns -> enter ipconfig/release -> enter and it failed at ipconfig /renew -> enter....