Windows 10: Ethernet connection stopped working overnight

Discus and support Ethernet connection stopped working overnight in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm on a Windows 10 computer. Overnight there was a big thunderstorm although I don't think that has anything to do with the ethernet connection, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MarkoMil, Jul 19, 2020.

1. MarkoMil Win User

Ethernet connection stopped working overnight

I'm on a Windows 10 computer. Overnight there was a big thunderstorm although I don't think that has anything to do with the ethernet connection, but figured I'd put it in here.

System specs : Manufacturer : ABS computer technologies

Processor : IntelR Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz Installed

memory : 16gb 64-bit OS and processor

Windows 10 home edition

I did some troubleshooting and it said that my Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP address. I tried a couple different things, such as releasing and renewing my IP which didn't solve it. Turning off the router and turning it on. Unplugging the ethernet cable, using a different cable. The cables were tested on my laptop and worked on there. I've restarted the computer, reinstalled drivers for my network adapter.

I tried using a wifi adapter to see if that worked and it does, but for some reason the ethernet isn't. I tried stopping the dhcp client under services but when I do it says that "Windows could not stop the DHCP client serviceo n Local Computer. Error 5: Access is denied" even though I went into the permissions in regedit for the DHCP and TCP/IP and set my user and administrators to have full control.

At this point I'm stumped. I've tried pretty much every single thing I've come accross on the internet besides just like re-installing windows all over again. I guess that is a last resort if I need to, I just don't want to have to lose any of the files I have on my computer currently.

Anyone have any ideas? And if you have anything you might need from me feel free to let me know

:)

MarkoMil, Jul 19, 2020

2. My reliable ethernet connection no longer works

Hi Marcia,

To better understand the query, please answer the following questions:

• After restarting is your computer in normal mode or not?
    • Are you getting any error message?

I suggest you to reset the modem\ router and check if the Ethernet connection works or not.

If still the issue persist then I suggest you to follow the steps from the below article
    “Fix network connection issues” and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/fix-network-connection-issues

Please get back to us with an update on this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you

Karthicka_R, Jul 19, 2020
  3. Ethernet shows red X and does not appear in settings, but still works

Not sure why this is happening. I have working ethernet and am connected, it works fine. But the taskbar icon shows a red X over it, and the tooltip says "Not Connected - No connections are available". Looking in "Network & Internet", ethernet is not even listed there. And before anyone suggests wireless interference .. this PC does not have a wireless card or integrated wireless.

winderpExpress, Jul 19, 2020
  4. MarcoArik Win User

How to delete an ethernet connection?

Just as title says. I have some old ethernet connections in my list, and I would like to delete it to clean.

Any suggestion?

MarcoArik, Jul 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Ethernet connection stopped working overnight - Similar Threads - Ethernet connection stopped

2. Search Stopped Working OVernight

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Stopped Working OVernight: It doesn't matter how I try to get into Windows 11 Search, nothing works: the link on Taskbar doesn't even open the Search Bar; Start Menu opens & works, but when I tried to use Search Bar, entire Start Menu closes; when I open File Explorer, everything works but won't allow...
  3. Search Stopped Working OVernight

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Stopped Working OVernight: It doesn't matter how I try to get into Windows 11 Search, nothing works: the link on Taskbar doesn't even open the Search Bar; Start Menu opens & works, but when I tried to use Search Bar, entire Start Menu closes; when I open File Explorer, everything works but won't allow...
  4. Windows 10 PIN stops working overnight

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 PIN stops working overnight: So the strangeness starts with the fact that if my computer updates and resets it doesnt replay my YT videos. So I had woken up to the login screen with one playing in the BG. I have the option to sleep and everything disabled to avoid this, but I thought no biggy until I...
  5. Ethernet Stops Working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet Stops Working: Hello. Sometimes when i'm using my PC my Ethernet just stops working. But just randomly, it stops working a few minutes after i started Origin wich is not good sinc i cant play my Origin Games then. I dont know why this keeps happening. Pls give me a solutuion if you have...
  6. Ethernet stopped working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ethernet stopped working: I have insider build 20236 and since update my ethernet has stopped working. I have diagnosed my network controller and reset the network several times. It also crashes a lot with the following, Driver irql not less or equal, tcpip tcpip.sys. Gigabyte MB. exact build 20236rs...
  7. Anyone’s Ethernet connection randomly stop working?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Anyone’s Ethernet connection randomly stop working?: My pc stops detecting my Ethernet connection randomly . It started as once every few weeks to now every hour or so and it’s unbearable. I tried a new cord so that’s not it. I’m at a complete loss submitted by /u/CzarTyr [link] [comments]...
  8. Audio Stopped Working Overnight

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Stopped Working Overnight: I woke up this morning and turned on my laptop and I noticed that the audio wasn't working. When I hovered over it, it said that no device was plugged in but I have a laptop and I just used it to watch videos not even 5 hours ago. I went to DxDiag and it generated the below...
  9. Ethernet stopped working?

Ethernet stopped working?: My ethernet cord that I have been using for a couple of months just stopped working today. I don't know how to fix it. The outlet in both my computer and the wall usually lights up when its plugged in but neither of them are so I don't know what the problem is 70345
  10. Wall socket ethernet connection stopped working

Wall socket ethernet connection stopped working: when I installed another one to a PC downstairs. We've only just noticed, as we have wireless as well, but my wife said her connection was slow; checked it and the ethernet connection had gone. Unplugged it at both ends and plugged them back in but no go. Downstairs...