Windows 10: Ethernet disrupts Internet connection for both wired and WiFi

Discus and support Ethernet disrupts Internet connection for both wired and WiFi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've been having increasingly worse internet connectivity issues for a while now. I bought a new computer and it was fixed for about 2 years, but then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Paul0o0o0, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Paul0o0o0 Win User

Ethernet disrupts Internet connection for both wired and WiFi

I've been having increasingly worse internet connectivity issues for a while now. I bought a new computer and it was fixed for about 2 years, but then it started again, exactly as before. Recently it became so bad (and no advice from the internet would work) that I bought a new modem/router. Nothing changed so I had the cable company send a technician. He found an old splitter on the exterior and replaced it, but otherwise he said their lines were good. He also had me change my Ethernet cable and that fixed my internet connectivity issues completely (wired and wireless) for about 1 hour. Then it started happening again (constant dropped connections, long periods with no internet at all). In the end I've determined that as long as my ethernet cable is plugged in I have connection problems (WiFi included and on multiple devices). When it's not, I don't.

So I'm wondering if anyone can help explain why this is happening. Why would my phone, or television, or my wife's phone and laptop lose WiFi when my Ethernet cable is plugged in on my computer, but not when it's unplugged? I understand that there might be a problem with the port on my PC (according to the technician), but I don't get why that would interfere with the wireless connection on other devices.

(The technician also had me update the drivers, and disable WiFi on my PC while Ethernet cable was plugged in to make sure there wasn't a conflict there).

:)

Paul0o0o0, Sep 5, 2018
  2. LVMan777 Win User

WiFi and ethernet together

"...Theoretical speed versus actual speed

... Wi-Fi is very convenient, but it does not match the speed and reliability of wired Ethernet.

• ...though 802.11n can theoretically reach 300 Mb/s, a 100 Mb/s wired Ethernet connection will often outperform it in real-world usage, because wired Ethernet networks perform more closely to their theoretical limits and are less susceptible to outside influences..."
    • Transporter: Wi-Fi versus Ethernet performance

LVMan777, Sep 5, 2018
  3. zhlondon Win User
    Wired(Ethernet) connection

I just bought a windows 10 pc, I plugged the wired connection at the back, but there is no Ethernet connection only WIFI. i CANNOT even find Ethernet in the Networking and sharing Centre!

zhlondon, Sep 5, 2018
  4. Ethernet disrupts Internet connection for both wired and WiFi

Windows 10 and internet connection

Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

Since you are able to connect to the internet wirelessly it is just the wires connection which has issues.

It could be either wire which has problems or Ethernet port.

Before you change either of these I suggest you to try the following steps:

Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

a. In search Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the search box and hit Enter.

c. Select “View all” option from the left panel.

d. Select “Internet Connections” from the list and follow On-screen instructions.

Regards,

Waseemulla S, Sep 5, 2018
Thema:

Ethernet disrupts Internet connection for both wired and WiFi

1. Ethernet disrupts Internet connection for both wired and WiFi - Similar Threads - Ethernet disrupts Internet

2. Bluetooth disrupts WiFi connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bluetooth disrupts WiFi connection: I bought a bluetooth earphone to listen to music on my laptop. The bluetooth pairing was smooth, and I can listen to the music. BUT, after 10 minutes or so, my WiFi disconnected itself. I didn't bother about it so I reconnected them, no big deal. UNTIL it kept happening every...
  3. How to connect to internet using ethernet hard wired

How to connect to internet using ethernet hard wired: I just purchased a new computer and I need to connect it directly to my modem and not Wi-Fi. Which steps should I take to configure my network?...
  4. WiFi and Ethernet are connected but showing "No Internet"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WiFi and Ethernet are connected but showing "No Internet": Hello, I have updated my Thinkpad E570 with Windows May 2020 update. Since that update, I am getting "No Internet" message for my WiFi and Ethernet connection though I am always connected to the internet. Because of this issue, I am unable to remote desktop my home PC. I am...
  5. Laptop connects to internet with Wifi, but not ethernet

Laptop connects to internet with Wifi, but not ethernet: Hello, I have been scouring the internet looking for a solution, but I can't find one. My issue is that I can connect to my network and internet perfectly fine with wifi, but when I connect my ethernet cable into my laptop's port, it will show me the correct SSID name for...
  6. Wifi and Ethernet not connecting to Internet

Wifi and Ethernet not connecting to Internet: Sony Vaio FW Series laptop running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit I am not able to connect to Wifi network or using Ethernet cable. Error Message while connecting to wifi network - Can't connect to this network. I have tried reinstalling Windows 10, resetting wifi adapter...
  7. No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless

No Internet connection on wired Ethernet or wireless: I have a Windows 10 desktop that will not connect to the Internet either wired Ethernet or wireless. It previously connected fine through a D-Link DWA-140 USB wireless adapter. I swapped the adapter to an identical machine and it worked fine. I plugged in a known working...
  8. will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet

will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet: Hello, my windows 10 computer was fine and running well, now suddenly after I moved it will not connect to internet WiFi or Ethernet. I've replaced my WiFi card and the old one (only about a year old) works perfectly in another computer. When I run the diagnostic it tells me...
  9. No internet connection via wifi or ethernet

No internet connection via wifi or ethernet: Please help. My laptop is for some unknown reason not connecting to the internet via wifi or ethernet. It will also not diagnose the problem as it says The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running and it cannot fix it. Please can someone advise - I'm not super techy. but I...
  10. Partial loss of internet connectivity through wired Ethernet...

Partial loss of internet connectivity through wired Ethernet...: For reasons unknown, I have suddenly lost internet connectivity for most applications in Windows 10. Firefox gives me the "Server not found" message and Edge gives me "Hmm, we can't reach this page" for every website. If I run Windows Update, it states, "We couldn't...