Windows 10: Ethernet file sharing between 2 laptops (both running Win10) - I can only see files from...

Discus and support Ethernet file sharing between 2 laptops (both running Win10) - I can only see files from... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I'm ethernet file sharing between 2 laptops (both running Win10) using a crossover cable and TCP/IPv4 as follows: Settings/Network &... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ghusya, Jul 11, 2019.

1. ghusya Win User

Ethernet file sharing between 2 laptops (both running Win10) - I can only see files from...

Hello,

I'm ethernet file sharing between 2 laptops (both running Win10) using a crossover cable and TCP/IPv4 as follows:

Settings/Network & Internet/Ethernet/Change adapter options

Then goto: Ethernet/Properties

Then select: “Internet Protocol v4 (TCP/IPv4)”, then click on Properties

Then Enter a random IP address in the top box (eg. “198:198:198:198”)

Then “subnet mask” fills with numbers automatically.

Q1. I usually can only see files from one of the 2 computers (same computer every time), but not in the other direction. Any clues on how to fix this (while maintaining reasonable security from outside attacks)?

Q2. When it does occassionally network both ways, the wetworking then gets messed up again (often no filing sharing at all) when I turn off the wifi. Any clues on how to fix this (while maintaining reasonable security from outside attacks)?

:)

ghusya, Jul 11, 2019
  2. BestSax Win User

File Sharing

Do you have a handy site I can read regarding file sharing across my home network?

I have a laptop for work that is a part of a different workgroup.

I have 2 desktop computers on the same workgroup. They all have different user names and accounts.

One Desktop (of the 2) is running xp pro, and the other xp home.

I want to be able to file share documents without opening them up to Everyone, and that seems to be the only way I can gain access to the files.

I wanted to make it so that you would need to provide a user name and password that matched the computer you were trying to access the files’ user account. At work, that is what happens when I try to access a network drive because my laptop’s user name is different then what they gave me to access the network. A dialog box appears, I put in my network name and I’m in.

I appreciate your help.

BestSax, Jul 11, 2019
  3. File Sharing Woes

With the firewall, you need to set it it allow file access. Its in advanced options most of the time (or general rules). Also put your network in the trusted zone. What firewall do you have? I hope I can help as I just set up ours about 2 weeks ago. 3 laptops and a desktop all sharing files and a printer.

theonetruewill, Jul 11, 2019
  4. Akumos Win User

Ethernet file sharing between 2 laptops (both running Win10) - I can only see files from...

File Sharing

Ermmm, where are the files stored? Server or one of the machines you listed?

Should be easy enough to help you through the forum, you may not need a help site.

Akumos, Jul 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Ethernet file sharing between 2 laptops (both running Win10) - I can only see files from... - Similar Threads - Ethernet file sharing

2. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  3. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sharing files between laptop and desktop: I have a desktop and a laptop that share files. How can I delete unnecessary files from my laptop without deleting them from my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-files-between-laptop-and-desktop/51fb77ca-e65d-41bf-94a7-90e3f03e2e3c
  4. sharing files between laptop and desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File sharing between 2 computers

File sharing between 2 computers: File sharing between 2 computers used to be easy when Homegroup was available! How do I file/folder share between 2 computers using Windows 10? If I right click on a folder> Give Access to > Homegroup is not accessible. If I select "specific people" > Add it tells me this...
  6. Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops

Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops: Hi all I hope this is the correct place to post this question. So i have 2 Toshiba laptops and I have them in a workgroup so that Laptop 1 (1803) can sync files with Laptop 2 (1803) using Free File Sync. I rebuilt Laptop 2 using Macrium the other day and now I cant seem to...
  7. Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem Sharing Files Between 2 W10 Laptops: Hi all I hope this is the correct place to post this question. So i have 2 Toshiba laptops and I have them in a workgroup so that Laptop 1 (1803) can sync files with Laptop 2 (1803) using Free File Sync. I rebuilt Laptop 2 using Macrium the other day and now I cant seem to...
  8. Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet

Unable to share files between PCs over Ethernet: 1) Want to transfer files between PCs using ethernet (single owner/user, home LAN) 2) Absolutely delighted [not!] by ~ twenty-five (25) step 'simple' process required ... ARRGGGGH! 3) Survived hoop-jumping up to "enter credentials for PC access" (or some such $#%#^) 4)...
  9. Only some shared files show in Win10 Share

Only some shared files show in Win10 Share: I have two computers, one win10 and one win7. On a win10 file share, I can only see some files from the win7 computer. If I alter/save a file on the win10 computer, I can then see the file from the win7 computer. never since win3.11 have I seen anything like this. Windows...
  10. Sharing a file between 2 window computers in which both parties can see updates done to...

Sharing a file between 2 window computers in which both parties can see updates done to...: I want to share an image file between 2 computers which can be edited by both parties, and both parties can see these edited changes. Any help is appreciated....