Windows 10: Ethernet internet speed problems

Discus and support Ethernet internet speed problems in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello fellow redditors. A week ago I installed a 50 meter ethernet cable directly from my router to my HP Omen Laptop to increase my internet speeds,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Chekawante, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Ethernet internet speed problems

Hello fellow redditors. A week ago I installed a 50 meter ethernet cable directly from my router to my HP Omen Laptop to increase my internet speeds, but mainly to have a reliable connection so that I dont get disconnected from the online classes. I have noticed a problem with the internet speeds: when I turn on the laptop, the download speed is sort of limited to 90mb/s, if I disconnect and reconnect the ethernet cable multiple times (like 2 or 3 times) the internet download speeds goes back to the normal of 650mb/s (the upload speeds dont seem to be under this effect, they are constant) do any of you know why this could be? thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/Chekawante
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Chekawante, Jul 10, 2020

2. internet speed slows down

Hi Barry,

Having an outdated Ethernet card driver, faulty Ethernet cable, and outdated modem firmware are a few factors that affect the internet speed. If you have a spare Ethernet cable, then I suggest replacing the one you're using to determine if its the cable
    that's causing your internet speed to slow down.

You may also update the driver of your Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet card. If the issue is triggered by having an outdated driver, then you can have Windows to search automatically for updated driver software to help fix and address the problem. Kindly check
    out Update drivers in Windows 10 and follow the steps provided in updating the drivers.

If the above steps won't help, then I recommend that you get in touch with the WOW support team to check the modem. Since they're your Internet Service Provider, then they are the appropriate support to look into the modem and perform necessary updates or
    troubleshooting on the device.

Should you have further queries, feel free to post back.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Jul 10, 2020
  3. JadenLay Win User
    Ethernet internet speed is slow

Hi, franco d'esaro,

The desktop is connected directly to the router through an ethernet cable. Then the router is connected to the modem. If I take my laptop and disable all wireless communications then connect it to the ethernet cable used for the desktop I get speeds up to
    400 Mbps but if I take that same cable and connect it to my desktop I only get speeds up to 150 Mbps even though I'm using a gigabit ethernet port. I tried running the computer with a clean boot as suggested in the link you sent but this did not end up fixing
    the problem.

JadenLay, Jul 10, 2020
  4. Ethernet internet speed problems

Ethernet internet speed is slow

Hi JadenLay and thanks for reaching out. My name is Joseph. I'm an independent advisor. I'll be happy to help you out today.

I would suggest you refer to the below steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Solution 1. Refresh Network.

1. Open CMD as an administrator mode.

2. Type in the following,

ipconfig /release <Press Enter>

ipconfig /renew <Press Enter>

ipconfig /flushdns <Press Enter>

ipconfig /registerdns <Press Enter>

nbtstat -rr <Press Enter>

netsh int ip reset all <Press Enter>

netsh winsock reset <Press Enter>

3. Check to see whether or not the problem has been resolved.

Solution 2. Disable Large Send Offload (LSO).

If you’re experiencing slow LAN speed on your Windows 10 PC, the issue might be a Large Send Offload feature. In order to solve the problem, you just need to disable this feature by doing the following:

1. Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.

2. Double-click on your Network Card and click on the Advanced tab.

3. Select Large Send Offload V2 (IPv4) and set the value to Disabled.

4. Do the same for Large Send Offload V2 (IPv6).

5. Click OK.

Solution 3. Change your DNS settings

If you’re having issues with slow LAN speed, the problem might be your DNS.

This issue is usually related to your ISP and its DNS, but you can always change your DNS. This process is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:

1. Type Network and Sharing Center. Select the first result.

2. Go to Change adapter settings, right-click the Ethernet network interface, and select Properties

3. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and go to Properties.

4. Select the “Use the following DNS server addresses” option and type your preferred and alternate DNS addresses.

5. You can use Google’s Public DNS addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, OpenDNS addresses 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 or other DNS addresses.

6. Check to see whether or not the problem has been resolved.

Source:
    https://windowsreport.com/fix-slow-lan-speed-pc/

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes.

Thank you!

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly
    research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Joseph Y. M., Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Ethernet internet speed problems

1. Ethernet internet speed problems - Similar Threads - Ethernet internet speed

2. Problem internet ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem internet ethernet: I have a strange problem happening on my device. So I have devices, namely laptop A and computer B. When I connect the ethernet LAN cable to laptop A, the ethernet network runs smoothly, but when I try to connect the ethernet LAN cable to computer B, the network is slow and I...
  3. Problem internet ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem internet ethernet: I have a strange problem happening on my device. So I have devices, namely laptop A and computer B. When I connect the ethernet LAN cable to laptop A, the ethernet network runs smoothly, but when I try to connect the ethernet LAN cable to computer B, the network is slow and I...
  4. Ethernet connection speed problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet connection speed problem: Hi, I have cat5 ethernet cable wich is supposed to handle 100Mbps my wifi speed can reach 50 Mbps when i plug the ethernet and try a speed test i only get 12 Mbps and when i go to settings->network->ethernet->change adapter setting i double click on ethernet i can see that im...
  5. Ethernet connection speed problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet connection speed problem: Hi, I have cat5 ethernet cable wich is supposed to handle 100Mbps my wifi speed can reach 50 Mbps when i plug the ethernet and try a speed test i only get 12 Mbps and when i go to settings->network->ethernet->change adapter setting i double click on ethernet i can see that im...
  6. Ethernet connection speed problem

7. Internet speed problem!

Internet speed problem!: Regards to all! In addition to my Dell workstation, there is also a Fujitsu Celsius R670-2 workstation. On Dell, the internet speed is 300Mb/s, and on Fujitsu it is 110Mb/s. Upload is same. What is the problem? 170026
  8. Having Problems with Ethernet Speeds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Having Problems with Ethernet Speeds: I posted here a couple days ago but couldn't get my issue figured out. I built my computer in October of last year, and it's worked pretty well. Up until a couple of days ago, my internet speed was only around 50-60Mbps. My computer had no issues reaching those speeds....
  9. Ethernet internet speed is slow

Ethernet internet speed is slow: My computer is getting slower internet speeds on the same network as other computers. When running a speed test on my laptop on speedtest.net it shows download speeds of 400+ Mbps on the ethernet cable. Now taking that same ethernet cable and plugging it into my desktop I am...
  10. Internet speed problems

Internet speed problems: Hello; I'm trying to find out if there is something wrong with my network settings. I just upgraded my service with my cable provider. I had been using their 50Mbps service and was getting around 40-45 on all of my devices when I ran speedtest.net. I just upgraded to a...