Windows 10: Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi

Discus and support Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I will try to fix my wired internet speed that is 6 times slower than my wifi speed! My internet speed is only 80 Mbps whereas * laptop windows 10 *... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by David12345, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi

I will try to fix my wired internet speed that is 6 times slower than my wifi speed!

My internet speed is only 80 Mbps whereas
    * laptop windows 10
    * a realtek card PCIe GbE Family Controller #8168E, Maximum speed download/upload 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps, latest driver (10.36 - 2019 July)
    * Cat 5e wire

The modem gives me 500 Mbps with my smartphone (wifi).

Looked everywhere on forums, settings (settings always say that my card accepts 1000 Mbps), but no success at all.

Thanks for your help.

:)

David12345, Nov 17, 2019
  2. Solax Win User

Issues with ethernet connection - internet slower than on WiFi

I have a desktop pc in room 1 which up until now has been connecting fine to the internet via WiFi from the router (DrayTek Vigor2710ne) in room 2.

I was getting acceptable speeds using WiFi but in an effort to see if I could get a faster connection I decided to run an ethernet cable (30m cat5e) from the router up through the ceiling and down into my room. This was the result I got when checking the speed over the ethernet. (I was testing throughout the evening so pay no attention to the fact that they're an hour apart).

When I checked the WiFi speed I had all the other network adapters disabled apart from the WiFi (Realtek 8185 Extensible 802.11b/g Wireless Device) and when I checked the ethernet I disabled everything but the ethernet (Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller). The drivers are the latest from Realtek.
    Was just curious as to if I am doing something wrong or what sort of results I should be/could be getting with the ethernet because I'm pretty sure something's wrong here.

Any help would be appreciated and I can post logs/configurations/more info/etc if needed.
    Thanks in advance, cheers guys.

Solax, Nov 17, 2019
  3. LVMan777 Win User
    WiFi and ethernet together

"...Theoretical speed versus actual speed

... Wi-Fi is very convenient, but it does not match the speed and reliability of wired Ethernet.

• ...though 802.11n can theoretically reach 300 Mb/s, a 100 Mb/s wired Ethernet connection will often outperform it in real-world usage, because wired Ethernet networks perform more closely to their theoretical limits and are less susceptible to outside influences..."
    • Transporter: Wi-Fi versus Ethernet performance

LVMan777, Nov 17, 2019
  4. Solax Win User

Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi

Issues with ethernet connection - internet slower than on WiFi

Drivers, my favorite. I'll look into it.

I did a speedtest of WiFi v the ethernet on my laptop running Windows 8.1 and they both ended up about the same. :s

For curiosity I did another test too on my Pc:
    Desktop pc with just WiFi
    Pc with just WiFi adapter enabled but Ethernet cable plugged in (unexpected result)
    So for some reason internet is slower even when the cable is plugged in but the adapter is disabled and all internet should be coming though WiFi.

I also read in some other thread that Cisco vpn could cause issues. I had Cisco installed but I installed it after upgrading to Windows 10 as opposed to installing it in Windows 7 or 8 and upgrading with it. Uninstalled it anyway but saw no difference.

Something else, not sure if important or not:
    This is what my network connections look like on my Pc.

Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi 1P03zkD.png

Wireless Network 2 is my WiFi (disconnected here)
    Local Area Connection is what the ethernet to my router is coming up under. I thought it was weird that it was coming through there and not 'Ethernet' but even though it was slow there was internet access coming through so I figured it was working (badly) as intended.
    Ethernet on the left doesn't do anything. When I enable it it just says "Network cable unplugged" - even when my cable is plugged in. There's only one ethernet port on the back of my pc so I have no idea what its purpose is.

And this is what network connections looks like on my laptop.

Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi dd6406552c.png

Again, WiFi is obvious.
    Local area connection 2 doesn't do anything as far as I know.
    Same with Local area connection.
    Ethernet on my laptop is where the internet connection comes under when I connect it as opposed to coming under "Local Area Connection" like it does in my Pc.

So yea, not sure if it's significant or not but it's something I noticed.

Solax, Nov 17, 2019
Thema:

Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi

1. Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi - Similar Threads - Ethernet internet speed

2. Wifi speed slower on pc than on Iphone.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Wifi speed slower on pc than on Iphone.: I build my own pc a few months ago and everything worked fine, but about a month ago it started to slow down. I have 250 Mbits/s on my phone and on almost every other device in my house, but i reach only between 10-60 Mbits/s on my pc. I did speed tests at the same distance...
  3. Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!: Unfortunately my PC has begun running slower on ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. Often, when I load up my computer and open tabs it will take a solid 5-10 seconds to load just the tab or app. I recently around 2-3 months ago bought a cat 6 ethernet cord to replace my old one when...
  4. Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!: Unfortunately my PC has begun running slower on ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. Often, when I load up my computer and open tabs it will take a solid 5-10 seconds to load just the tab or app. I recently around 2-3 months ago bought a cat 6 ethernet cord to replace my old one when...
  5. Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Wifi speed considerable slower compared to ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi speed considerable slower compared to ethernet: I have had to move my PC and can no longer use an ethernet connection and I am finding that my wifi speeds and ping are much worse. Not sure why this is or how I can improve this. I’m guessing it has something to do with my network adaptor - 802.11n Wireless LAN Card. When I...
  7. Wifi speed considerable slower compared to ethernet

Wifi speed considerable slower compared to ethernet: I have had to move my PC and can no longer use an ethernet connection and I am finding that my wifi speeds and ping are much worse. Not sure why this is or how I can improve this. I’m guessing it has something to do with my network adaptor - 802.11n Wireless LAN Card. When I...
  8. Ethernet slower than WIFI (I'm desperate)

Ethernet slower than WIFI (I'm desperate): I have contracted a plan of 50 megabytes and it was always wonderful until a few days that out of nowhere I started receiving only 6 megabytes, by cable. With the other devices over WIFI I am doing excellent and I enjoy the adequate speed. I clarify that I did not touch any...
  9. slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless

slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless: i have a AC600 wifi adapter and a ASUS rt-ac1200g+ router, we pay for 100mbps down. i can hit 30mbps on the wifi adapter but when i try ethernet it is locked at 10mbps at full duplex which is really weird. i have tried cat5e/6/7 but all does the same. i have tried in cmd...
  10. Issues with ethernet connection - internet slower than on WiFi

Issues with ethernet connection - internet slower than on WiFi: I have a desktop pc in room 1 which up until now has been connecting fine to the internet via WiFi from the router (DrayTek Vigor2710ne) in room 2. I was getting acceptable speeds using WiFi but in an effort to see if I could get a faster connection I decided to run an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. nu vot