Windows 10: Ethernet is slower on my Desktop than my laptop

Discus and support Ethernet is slower on my Desktop than my laptop in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My internet was upgraded yesterday and we went from 50Mbps to 350Mbps. Devices on wifi reach that speed just fine, and plugging my ethernet cord into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MarcoSolo23, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Ethernet is slower on my Desktop than my laptop

My internet was upgraded yesterday and we went from 50Mbps to 350Mbps. Devices on wifi reach that speed just fine, and plugging my ethernet cord into my computers works just fine, but plugging that same cord into my desktop gets me 100Mbps less at about 250Mbps. I've tried many things and nothing seems to work. Any idea?

submitted by /u/MarcoSolo23
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MarcoSolo23, Nov 5, 2020
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Create Ethernet adapter shortcut on the desktop.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To create the Ethernet shortcut on your desktop, you can follow the step provided below.

Step: Create Ethernet shortcut on the desktop.

1. Press Windows + R key on your keyboard together.
    2. Type in ncpa.cpl
      and hit enter.
    3. You will see all your network adapter.
    4. Right click on your desired adapter and click on
      Create Shortcut and allow the prompt.
    5. Or you can drag and drop the network adapter on the desktop that will create a shortcut too.
    6. You can now right on the shortcut on your desktop and disable and enable internet connection.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Need help with connecting laptop to desktop using ethernet cable

How are you assigning IP Addresses to each machine and are is the WIFI still enabled and connected. If you have set static addresses are the wifi interface and the ethernet interface on different private subnets. What addresses are you actually using?

I would suggest disable the wifi and run a continuous ping between the laptop and desktop to check stability.

IF the ping doesn't work then you should also check the routing table which should show the ethernet link subnet and the interface and if the interface is actually up at layer 3.

The last test would be a traceroute to the desktop from the laptop, just to check the traffic is actually being routed to the desktop and not being routed to the wifi interface.

Leviathan67, Nov 5, 2020
  4. EdTittel Win User

Ethernet is slower on my Desktop than my laptop

Ethernet is slower than wireless....

If you have the cash, a free USB-3 port (or better, by which I mean USB 3.1 or USB-C) and the inclination, you could try an Ethernet NIC that connects through such a port. Using an older Startech USB 3 dongle just now, here's what I got from my 4-year-old Dell Venue Pro 11:

Ethernet is slower on my Desktop than my laptop [​IMG]

But really, that's not much (or no) improvement over your current wired connection. Let's contrast it with what I get from one of my wired desktops instead:

Ethernet is slower on my Desktop than my laptop [​IMG]

Looks like Spectrum is honoring its service guarantee of 300down/20up. And I'm starting to appreciate your frustrations and causes of concern. What make and model of Dell laptop do you have? One of my pool-playing buddies (I live in the Austin area) is a 3rd level support tech for Dell. I can ask him for some insight and input on this matter. It's starting to bother me, too!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

Ethernet is slower on my Desktop than my laptop

1. Ethernet is slower on my Desktop than my laptop - Similar Threads - Ethernet slower Desktop

2. Internet is slower on my desktop than my laptop.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet is slower on my desktop than my laptop.: I have a desktop that I made that has an ethernet port that is cable of 1 Gbps and a newer laptop with the same capabilities. When downloading the same game through steam using the same Ethernet cable, I get 1Gbps on my laptop but at most 250 Mbps on my desktop. What could be...
  3. Internet is slower on my desktop than my laptop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet is slower on my desktop than my laptop.: I have a desktop that I made that has an ethernet port that is cable of 1 Gbps and a newer laptop with the same capabilities. When downloading the same game through steam using the same Ethernet cable, I get 1Gbps on my laptop but at most 250 Mbps on my desktop. What could be...
  4. Internet is slower on my desktop than my laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!: Unfortunately my PC has begun running slower on ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. Often, when I load up my computer and open tabs it will take a solid 5-10 seconds to load just the tab or app. I recently around 2-3 months ago bought a cat 6 ethernet cord to replace my old one when...
  6. My Ethernet is suddenly much slower than yesterday? [WINDOWS 11]

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Ethernet is suddenly much slower than yesterday? [WINDOWS 11]: Hi!Yesterday my Ethernet was working perfectly at around 70mbps. Before I went to bed I plugged out my cable and used it on my laptop in bed. Today when I woke up and plugged back in my cable it was barely at 10mbps.I've narrowed it down to be my desktop causing the issue,...
  7. My Ethernet is suddenly much slower than yesterday? [WINDOWS 11]

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Ethernet is suddenly much slower than yesterday? [WINDOWS 11]: Hi!Yesterday my Ethernet was working perfectly at around 70mbps. Before I went to bed I plugged out my cable and used it on my laptop in bed. Today when I woke up and plugged back in my cable it was barely at 10mbps.I've narrowed it down to be my desktop causing the issue,...
  8. Ethernet slower than WIFI (I'm desperate)

Ethernet slower than WIFI (I'm desperate): I have contracted a plan of 50 megabytes and it was always wonderful until a few days that out of nowhere I started receiving only 6 megabytes, by cable. With the other devices over WIFI I am doing excellent and I enjoy the adequate speed. I clarify that I did not touch any...
  9. Ethernet slower than usual

Ethernet slower than usual: Recently, I moved my PC to another area and now the ethernet went from 120 mpbs download speed to 30. The router and everything is right next to the PC, but yet the ethernet speed was cut in four. What happened and how do I fix it?...
  10. Ethernet is slower than wireless....

Ethernet is slower than wireless....: I have a problem that my IP says is my Ethernet adapter... I have updated drivers, and tried just about everything, with no success.. My wireless speed is 117mbps/23mbps consistently.. However my direct to my modem Ethernet cable gets no better than 70mbps/22mbps...