Windows 10: Ethernet is slower than wireless....

Discus and support Ethernet is slower than wireless.... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a problem that my IP says is my Ethernet adapter... I have updated drivers, and tried just about everything, with no success.. My wireless speed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by brooks79, Jul 18, 2017.

1. brooks79 Win User

Ethernet is slower than wireless....

I have a problem that my IP says is my Ethernet adapter... I have updated drivers, and tried just about everything, with no success.. My wireless speed is 117mbps/23mbps consistently.. However my direct to my modem Ethernet cable gets no better than 70mbps/22mbps consistently.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am running Windows 10 64bit...

Thanks

:)

brooks79, Jul 18, 2017

2. Windows 10 PC Receiver !

USB... So this is a USB dongle/stick device proving you wireless?

What is the make/model of the computer?

Ralink is not, in my experiences throughout the years in forums like these, considered real 'top end' type stuff - combine that with what seems to be (likely) a USB plugin product and you have a recipe for poor connectivity.

The antenna likely is not all that good in it, even the angle it os at could affect speed (not to mention distance from the wireless access point.) The slower speed of USB (2.0 port, although the device itself could be 2.0 only, making the port in the computer
    itself a moot point) port and the added overhead of the bus itself could account for a slower speed (adding in the driver situation and everything else already discussed.)

My suggestion, unless you have a compelling reason for needing wireless - string an ethernet cable and use built-in wired ethernet.

Shenan Stanley, Jul 18, 2017
  3. 93tid Win User
    q1 charging plate

Yes, both are perfectly normal. Charging via Qi wireless is almost two times slower than via a standard USB charger.

93tid, Jul 18, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

It might depend upon the computers and the Router, whether the Wired/Ethernet is 10/100 or 10/100/1000 [Gigabit]. Also the Wi-Fi may be 802.11b/g/n or 802.11ac [the latest]. I have a computer running the Insider Preview that needs a Gigabit NIC but the 10/100 is fine as it's not a production machine.

Berton, Jul 18, 2017
  5. brooks79 Win User
    I have upgraded everything, new cable from router, new drivers... Still less than spec speeds on my Ethernet connection.

brooks79, Jul 18, 2017
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Try using SpeedGuide's TCP Optimizer on your Ethernet NIC connection. It may help. OTOH, if your problem system is a Dell as your system specs indicate, you should visit the downloads page for your device (use your Dell Service Tag ID, and it will point you at exactly what you need) and see if there's a newer NIC driver you could or should be using. One way or the other, you should be able to set this straight. You might also consider telling us what make/model of NIC and WiFi devices are on your PC.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 18, 2017
  7. brooks79 Win User
    Thanks Ed... Yes I have updated through Dell and RealTek... Everything is optimal, except the speed... *Smile

brooks79, Jul 18, 2017
  8. EdTittel Win User

There's little danger that TCP Optimizer will do your system or network access any harm, so that's what I would recommend that you try next. It may be able to help.
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 18, 2017
  9. brooks79 Win User
    I tried TCP optimizer, with no luck.. Very easy program to use, but NO success.... I guess I will continue on with wireless connection until I figure this out... Thanks for your help.

brooks79, Jul 18, 2017
  10. EdTittel Win User
    If you have the cash, a free USB-3 port (or better, by which I mean USB 3.1 or USB-C) and the inclination, you could try an Ethernet NIC that connects through such a port. Using an older Startech USB 3 dongle just now, here's what I got from my 4-year-old Dell Venue Pro 11:

Ethernet is slower than wireless.... [​IMG]

But really, that's not much (or no) improvement over your current wired connection. Let's contrast it with what I get from one of my wired desktops instead:

Ethernet is slower than wireless.... [​IMG]

Looks like Spectrum is honoring its service guarantee of 300down/20up. And I'm starting to appreciate your frustrations and causes of concern. What make and model of Dell laptop do you have? One of my pool-playing buddies (I live in the Austin area) is a 3rd level support tech for Dell. I can ask him for some insight and input on this matter. It's starting to bother me, too!
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 19, 2017
  11. brooks79 Win User
    haha, finally found a setting for my specific Ethernet board was set improperly to auto select speed... Changed to 100mbps full duplex and my problems are gone... Yeah. I knew it was a setting somewhere deep within Windows 10.. *Smile

brooks79, Jul 19, 2017
  12. brooks79 Win User
    and it worked for a second and then back to slow Ethernet speeds...

brooks79, Jul 20, 2017
  13. Eagle51 Win User

Hey brooks79,
    What's the Realtek model ?
    If you haven't already, I'd search on MS Catalog for your Realtek model and try an older driver.
    Microsoft Update Catalog

Eagle51, Jul 20, 2017
  14. brooks79 Win User
    I'm on a mission, nothing can stop me... *Smile

brooks79, Jul 20, 2017
  15. Samuria Win User
    You don't use duplex that sends and receives at the same time and most domestic routers can't cope with it so it slows it down. What is your MTU set to on router and PC?

Samuria, Jul 20, 2017
Thema:

1. Ethernet is slower than wireless.... - Similar Threads - Ethernet slower wireless

2. Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!: Unfortunately my PC has begun running slower on ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. Often, when I load up my computer and open tabs it will take a solid 5-10 seconds to load just the tab or app. I recently around 2-3 months ago bought a cat 6 ethernet cord to replace my old one when...
  3. Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!: Unfortunately my PC has begun running slower on ethernet rather than Wi-Fi. Often, when I load up my computer and open tabs it will take a solid 5-10 seconds to load just the tab or app. I recently around 2-3 months ago bought a cat 6 ethernet cord to replace my old one when...
  4. Ethernet is loading everything slower than wifi!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Ethernet slower than WIFI (I'm desperate)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet slower than WIFI (I'm desperate): I have contracted a plan of 50 megabytes and it was always wonderful until a few days that out of nowhere I started receiving only 6 megabytes, by cable. With the other devices over WIFI I am doing excellent and I enjoy the adequate speed. I clarify that I did not touch any...
  6. Ethernet slower than usual

Ethernet slower than usual: Recently, I moved my PC to another area and now the ethernet went from 120 mpbs download speed to 30. The router and everything is right next to the PC, but yet the ethernet speed was cut in four. What happened and how do I fix it?...
  7. Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi

Ethernet internet speed slower than Wifi: I will try to fix my wired internet speed that is 6 times slower than my wifi speed! My internet speed is only 80 Mbps whereas * laptop windows 10 * a realtek card PCIe GbE Family Controller #8168E, Maximum speed download/upload 1000 Mbps/1000 Mbps, latest driver (10.36 -...
  8. Ethernet cable much slower than wi-fi

Ethernet cable much slower than wi-fi: My computer is connected by an Ethernet cable and when I run Speedtest I get around 50 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. That is way lower than what I am paying for. I thought the problem would be with my Internet service provider but Speedtest run on my tablet that uses wi-fi gets...
  9. slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless

slower internet connection on ethernet than wireless: i have a AC600 wifi adapter and a ASUS rt-ac1200g+ router, we pay for 100mbps down. i can hit 30mbps on the wifi adapter but when i try ethernet it is locked at 10mbps at full duplex which is really weird. i have tried cat5e/6/7 but all does the same. i have tried in cmd...
  10. Issues with ethernet connection - internet slower than on WiFi

Issues with ethernet connection - internet slower than on WiFi: I have a desktop pc in room 1 which up until now has been connecting fine to the internet via WiFi from the router (DrayTek Vigor2710ne) in room 2. I was getting acceptable speeds using WiFi but in an effort to see if I could get a faster connection I decided to run an...