Windows 10: Ethernet on Windows 10 works fine, but can't enable file sharing between two computers on...

Discus and support Ethernet on Windows 10 works fine, but can't enable file sharing between two computers on... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My network has two Windows 10 PCs and a variety of other devices, all connected to a Verizon gigabit router via Ethernet - specifically, via a Netgear... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PeteSmith1, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Ethernet on Windows 10 works fine, but can't enable file sharing between two computers on...

My network has two Windows 10 PCs and a variety of other devices, all connected to a Verizon gigabit router via Ethernet - specifically, via a Netgear Ethernet switch and a single Cat 6 cable to the router.

Everything works fine, except that I cannot share files between the two PCs. According to Windows, both are connected to the same named Ethernet network, but I have not been able to find sharing settings to let me see directories on the other computer from either one, much less actually move files between them. Most of what I have found online about networking and sharing concerns wireless networks, but I need Ethernet for speed.

FWIW, I can see all of the Ethernet devices on the router, listed as active, including the two PCs. I have disabled wifi adapters on the two computers. Any advice appreciated!

:)

PeteSmith1, Oct 4, 2019
  2. robal Win User

Windows 7 File Sharing between computers, PROBLEMS!!

Don't worry about homegroup. It's just an additional layer (of 'convienience') above 'old' classic Windows Shares mechanism.
    If your transfers are terrible with this setup, they will most probably be as terrible with any other approach.

At first, focus on wired ethernet. Copying a file between HTPC and PC will show you transfer rate. Also... If you go to "task manager", you'll see network speed (network tab).
    Focus on wired ethernet for now... what speeds are you getting ?

Cheers,

robal, Oct 4, 2019
  3. File sharing fails when switching from Ethernet connection to WiFi

Hi,

I have a network with :

• 2 Pcs on W10 Pro (PC1 & PC2)
    • 1 WindowsHomeServer (WHS)
    • a box to connect to the Internet
    File sharing is enable and everything works fine each PC can access the Internet and files from all computers.

To get rid of the ethernet cable, I installed a WifI (Netgear AC7000) on PC1 . From then on :

• Internet is still available for all machines
    • PC1 can still access all files from all computers
    • backups for PC1 & 2 are done everyday by WHS
    • but PC2 cannot access PC1 files . PC1 shows up in the network on PC2 but when trying to open PC1 files I get an error message code 0x80070035
    As soon as I plug back the ethernet cable everything is back to normal.

I would appreciate advice

Thks

FGM

FGBigaudes, Oct 4, 2019
  4. Ethernet on Windows 10 works fine, but can't enable file sharing between two computers on...

File and Printer Sharing Between Vista and Windows 10

Hi,

To share a folder in Windows Vista, we suggest that you follow the steps below:

• Ensure that file sharing is enabled as described in the Enabling File and Printer Sharing Options section of this article.
    • Click Start, and then click Computer.
    • In the Computer window, navigate to the folder containing the folder that you want to share.
    • Right-click the folder that you want to share, and then click Share. The
      File Sharing window is displayed.
    • If you have password protected sharing enabled, use the File Sharing window to select which users can access the shared folder and their permission level. To allow all users, select
      Everyone in the list of users. By default, the permission level for a selected user is Reader. Users cannot change files or create new files in the share. To allow a user to change files or folders or create new files or folders, select Co-owner
      as the permission level. Figure 5 shows an example of configuring users and permission levels in the
      File Sharing window.

If you have password protected sharing disabled, use the File Sharing window to select the Guest or Everyone account. This is equivalent to simple file sharing in Windows XP.
    • When complete, click Share, and then click Done.

Hope the above information helps.

Acelyn Alc, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Ethernet on Windows 10 works fine, but can't enable file sharing between two computers on...

1. Ethernet on Windows 10 works fine, but can't enable file sharing between two computers on... - Similar Threads - Ethernet works fine

2. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet: I have a PC at home connected by ethernet to a router. This shows as Network 5 in Network and Sharing Centre.I have another PC in another room connected via ethernet to the same router. This shows as Network 2 In its Network and Sharing Centre. I've tried everything I can...
  3. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet: I have a PC at home connected by ethernet to a router. This shows as Network 5 in Network and Sharing Centre.I have another PC in another room connected via ethernet to the same router. This shows as Network 2 In its Network and Sharing Centre. I've tried everything I can...
  4. share files between two pcs on home lan ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. File sharing between two computers speed is limited.

File sharing between two computers speed is limited.: Alright. So I've gone through 2 or 3 hours of troubleshooting now. I'm using the basic sharing system embedded in windows 10 to share files between my main computer and a PC I set up across the house for backups. Both are capable of gigabit speeds and connected through...
  6. Sharing Between Computers on Ethernet

Sharing Between Computers on Ethernet: I am baffled by how Windows 10 handles file sharing between computers these days. I remember the Homegroup option was a little wonky, but at least it worked. Here's the situation. I have my whole home wired with Cat 6 Ethernet. Every port is connected to one switch. Each...
  7. Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Sharing Files Between Two Workstations.: Hello, I need a solution to share files between two Windows 10 machines. Requirements Ease of use, easy to drag-drop/save files into shared folder Good security and must keep both devices separate No wired connection If anybody has any suggestions, links/resources or...
  8. Ethernet connection Logs while sharing file between two computers using crossover cable

Ethernet connection Logs while sharing file between two computers using crossover cable: I'm curious about to know that following questions (when we connect two computers using crossover cable and share some files ) 1. Is there any Logs/ Logs in MS Windows 10 if YES then please provide all the locations of these logs 2. If logs made for ethernet connected...
  9. Share Data Between the two Computers

Share Data Between the two Computers: I have two computers on a private network. I need to share data between the two computers \ I have two computers on a private network. I need to share data between them. Some times I can see both computers and sometimes I cant. [Original Title: Roy]...
  10. Ethernet communication between two computers

Ethernet communication between two computers: Hello, I am having trouble completing the circuit for two way ethernet communication. I have a laptop running windows 10 home connected via ethernet to a desktop running windows 10 pro. I am able to access files on my desktop through my laptop via ethernet. However, I am...