Windows 10: Ethernet slow to connect after sleep or reboot

Discus and support Ethernet slow to connect after sleep or reboot in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, Another user has posted a similar thread but I wanted to create a new one just to see if anyone is having similar issues. When my computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlphaXray, Dec 18, 2020.

1. AlphaXray Win User

Ethernet slow to connect after sleep or reboot

Hello all,

Another user has posted a similar thread but I wanted to create a new one just to see if anyone is having similar issues. When my computer used to reboot or wake from sleep my ethernet would be immediately connected. I could type in my password, click on chrome, and immediately go to a website. Now the network is stuck on identifying for about 30 to 40 seconds before getting a connection and working. This has been an issue I've noticed for the past 4 or so days.

Windows version is 20H2 build 19042.685
    ISP is xfinity.

As far as troubleshooting steps I have:
    Uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter.
    Updated my network drivers.
    Reset network settings.
    Flushed all dns settings.
    Set a static IP and dns.
    Reset router multiple times.
    Tried using a different port on router.
    Tried using a different ethernet cable.

If I disable ethernet and switch to WiFi there is no issue. The WiFi reconnects after reboot or sleep almost immediately just as you would expect.

I'm thinking this is an issue with the latest build of 20H2 as I haven't seen many people report it. If anyone has tips or is experiencing this I would love to know.

:)

AlphaXray, Dec 18, 2020
  2. Magnus09 Win User

Ethernet Connection (slow internet after upgrading to win10)

Hi,

Thanks for the response. The suggestions you provided are also some of the "fixes" I tried before with no luck. But I did try them again and it still did not resolve my issue.

For the troubleshooting, nothing came up because there IS connection. Just extremely slow. There's no errors or any msg that pops up. The problem is that the internet connection is extremely slow at initial start or after the PC comes out from sleep mode.
    Once I disable/re-enable the ethernet connection, speed is great.

If you have any other suggestion, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Magnus09, Dec 18, 2020
  3. Sleep Mode Disconnects Ethernet Internet Connection - An Oldie but a Goodie

Hi,

There's a possibility that your Ethernet connection is not enabled to wake on magic packet. For us to isolate this, let's look into the advanced settings of your network adapter. Follow these steps:

1. Navigate to Device Manager > Network adapters.
    2. Right-click on your Ethernet connection and click Properties.
    3. Click the Advanced tab.
    4. Under Property, scroll down and select Wake on magic packet.
    5. Set the value to Enabled.
    6. Click OK.

Once done, try to observe if Ethernet connection still disconnects if put to sleep mode.

Looking forward to your reply..

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 18, 2020
  4. Magnus09 Win User

Ethernet Connection (slow internet after upgrading to win10)

I recently upgraded to windows 10 from 7. Both wifi/ethernet connection is functional except the speed has dropped to a crawl. I have tried all the "fixes" suggested but haven't been able to find a fix (including updating drivers using various methods).
    My current status is:

Wifi: Still half the speed of what I was getting when using win7 pro.

Ethernet: Extremely slow connection after boot or coming out of sleep mode. But once I disable and re-enable, the speed is faster than it's ever been.

I have:

Dell Inspiron 3847

Ethernet: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Possible "fixes" I can think of at this point is:

Revert back to win7

Buy new ethernet card

Seems like many are having similar issues but not quite the same as I'm having. My connection always there but slow at start. But I always have to disable/re-enable for it to work properly. Any suggestion/advice would be really appreciate it.

Magnus09, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

1. Ethernet slow to connect after sleep or reboot - Similar Threads - Ethernet slow connect

2. slow ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    slow ethernet connection: Hello, recently I kept downloading games but then I realized that my ethernet connection is slow, 500 kbps :scream: I tried changing my DNS, checking for any updates, clearing my cache via command prompt, and many more. I tried plugging in the ethernet cable into my laptop,...
  3. slow ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    slow ethernet connection: Hello, recently I kept downloading games but then I realized that my ethernet connection is slow, 500 kbps :scream: I tried changing my DNS, checking for any updates, clearing my cache via command prompt, and many more. I tried plugging in the ethernet cable into my laptop,...
  4. slow ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Slow connecting to Internet on wake from sleep with ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow connecting to Internet on wake from sleep with ethernet connection: This started suddenly about a month ago. My PC is on an Ethernet connection to my router and my ISP is Xfinity. On wake from sleep it takes about 30 seconds to establish an Internet connection. My search for this problem found this issue happening three years ago to Xfinity...
  6. Slow connecting to Internet on wake from sleep with ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow connecting to Internet on wake from sleep with ethernet connection: This started suddenly about a month ago. My PC is on an Ethernet connection to my router and my ISP is Xfinity. On wake from sleep it takes about 30 seconds to establish an Internet connection. My search for this problem found this issue happening three years ago to Xfinity...
  7. Slow connecting to Internet on wake from sleep with ethernet connection

8. Wifi connection slowing ethernet connection

Wifi connection slowing ethernet connection: I currently have two pc's running in my house, The first is connected through ethernet and the second over a wifi connection through a range extender. For some reason when the second pc is running any type of download the ethernet pc slows down, it cannot stream video or play...
  9. Slow laptop performance on reboot or after sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slow laptop performance on reboot or after sleep: I saw a post about downloading Windows Performance Monitor tp diagnose the issue. Can I interpret this myself or if not, can I ship the trace via this forum and get a recommendation? Thanks much, Mark...
  10. loosing ethernet connection on sleep

loosing ethernet connection on sleep: Soooo ... I have read a lot of posts on this subject but still not found an answer. I have 4 computers networked together .... two windows 7 units, one linux unit and one windows 10 unit. The problem is with the windows 10 unit. When it goes to sleep, I loose my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc internet slow after hibernating