Windows 10: Ethernet slow

Discus and support Ethernet slow in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi guys, having very slow download speeds through powerline adapter. I get about 16.20 down 7.70 up ping 35.75, this is on my desktop pc, if I connect... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by keesu, Apr 23, 2017.

1. keesu Win User

Ethernet slow

Hi guys, having very slow download speeds through powerline adapter. I get about 16.20 down 7.70 up ping 35.75, this is on my desktop pc, if I connect my laptop to the same powerline adapter, i get about 32.70 download etc. I have tried the tcp optimiser with no success. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

:)

keesu, Apr 23, 2017
  2. Jenny5 Ma Win User

Installed Windows 10 -Ethernet connection to Laptop now only has 25 mbps - Modem itself has 300 mbps

I have the same problem. I bought an ethernet connector for surface3, but the speed is very very slow, much worse than wifi. I need ethernet cable because wifi is used by many people, so it's also very slow. But the ethernet cable doesn't help. Now, I need
    to find a laptop that have ethernet outlet.

Jenny Ma

Jenny5 Ma, Apr 23, 2017
  3. Connection via Ethernet slow

Hello All,

I have this issue but no one seems to know what's the problem. Yesterday suddenly all the apps and web pages that were open, started to navigate slow or started to have lag. These apps/pages were Facebook, YouTube, Skype and League of Legends.

At first I thought that it was my internet, however I found out later that every other web page or app would have normal speed navigation. This was all while connected to the Internet via Ethernet.

Today I had the idea to unplug the Ethernet cable and connect via WiFi, with the surprising result that via WiFi everything is normal, but whenever I plug again the Ethernet cable only these four apps/pages start to have insanely slow speed.

I am confused as a Ethernet port or cable malfunction is discarded because it would happen with all apps or pages, not only with these four. The same goes with any problem with the internet service provider. And the servers of said pages or apps, as they
    are normal via WiFi.

Help please!

Moisés Carrasco G, Apr 23, 2017
  4. Ethernet slow

Good morning and welcome to the group. If you are talking Mbps speeds, I would be thrilled with that performance.

Wiley Coyote, Apr 23, 2017
  5. keesu Win User
    Thanks for your reply. As I stated I should be getting around 32 mbps as the laptop does. ( on fibre ). I should have also mentioned that this is on a speed test not downloading a file.

keesu, Apr 23, 2017
  6. Can't find my clip to insert, but mine are 5.7 mbps up and 0.47 down. Small town life does have it's drawbacks.

7. keesu Win User
    That's similar to mine for a file download 5.3 at best, but not tried downloading a file to my laptop .

keesu, Apr 23, 2017
  8. Ethernet slow

ISP tells me the 6 Mb service I have is the fastest available at my location. If nothing else, I have to say it's been reliable and trouble free.

9. Hi keesu.

I assume we are talking wired connection as you labelled problem Ethernet, if my assumption is wrong let me know.

Open up device manager and then the properties to your NIC. Check link speed and whether you are using full or half duplex. I would think you want "Full". You likely have an Intel NIC so there should be a tab in properties. For Realtek you find speed and duplex under the Advance tab. You may also be able to compare overall setting with laptop.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 23, 2017
  10. keesu Win User
    Hi Ken, thanks for your reply, I'll have a look at you suggestions and let you know the results. I am using a wired connection. Keith.

keesu, Apr 24, 2017
  11. Mystere Win User
    First, I would double check that the situation is what you think it is. When you say you hook up your laptop, are you certain it's not using your WiFi to perform the test? Just plugging in an Ethernet cable does not mean it will automatically use the Ethernet in many cases.

Many power line adapters can only do 200Mbit/s, which is a theoretical max of 20MB/s, but in reality will be significantly less. The newest adapters that support theoretical speeds up to 2Gb/s, but again, in reality it's much less, and often depends on the quality of your wiring, the type of junction box you have, and the distance of the wiring it travels through. For instance, in this article it states that they were getting speeds of 279Mb/s at 10m and it dropped to 74.6Mb/s at 25m.

Also, be wary of the difference between Mb/s and MB/s. Most speed tests measure in MB/s, which is usually about 10x lower number than the actual Mb/s (there are 8 bits in a byte, but there is overhead which makes it come out to about 10bits of bandwidth to 8 bits of data as a rough estimate). So 50Mb/s is roughly 5MB/s.

Mystere, Apr 24, 2017
  12. keesu Win User
    Thanks for your reply Mystere. It is ethernet connection not WiFi as I switched the WiFi off, it shows in the system tray icon if you are using WiFi. Also WiFi is much slower on the laptop.

keesu, Apr 24, 2017
  13. keesu Win User

Ethernet slow

Ken, I cannot find the full or half duplex in the properties from the nic.

keesu, Apr 24, 2017
  14. keesu Win User
    Ken, found the full / half duplex but made no difference, laptop not all the same settings as it's a Broadcom Netlink not as the pc which I have two one on motherboard, Intel, the other is a csl pcie card which is realtec. I got the csl to try and see if it was a motherboard fault but get the same speeds from both.

keesu, Apr 25, 2017
  15. Just so we know, which OS is installed on the Laptop and Desktop.

The NIC's on desktop are rated as ...... (100Mbps or 1000Mbps) ?

Same question for laptop.

Is it correct to say you are using the same Lan cable to perform both tests?

Is it also safe to say when you test, your LAN cable from your desktop to your router is in clean air, basically it is not lying on, or threaded through the mess of cables behind your desktop. Your desktop could be different than mine but I have plenty of power cables and transformers amassed behind and around mine. This will just ensure you are not getting interference from your line voltages or transformers.

When you run test could you try disabling firewall and AV's (if more than one) on desktop and reruning test.

Caledon Ken, Apr 25, 2017
Thema:

Ethernet slow

1. Ethernet slow - Similar Threads - Ethernet slow

2. When I connect my bluetooth headphone it slow or basically kill my internet connection ETHERNET

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I connect my bluetooth headphone it slow or basically kill my internet connection ETHERNET: Hello, I have 2 problems.So 1. I bought bluetooth headphones for my PC when I paired and connected them to PC I have like really low signal I need to be litterally with my head next to my case basically touching it with my cheek to have good connection after I put my head...
  3. When I connect my bluetooth headphone it slow or basically kill my internet connection ETHERNET

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I connect my bluetooth headphone it slow or basically kill my internet connection ETHERNET: Hello, I have 2 problems.So 1. I bought bluetooth headphones for my PC when I paired and connected them to PC I have like really low signal I need to be litterally with my head next to my case basically touching it with my cheek to have good connection after I put my head...
  4. Why is my PC running so slow after using an ethernet cable?

Why is my PC running so slow after using an ethernet cable?: So I've recently started using an ethernet cable 30ish minutes ago and I immediately saw that my PC started slowing down heavily.This wasn't a problem before when I was using an internet adapter, so I'm not really sure what happened.I also did an antivirus scan and nothing...
  5. Why is my PC running so slow after using an ethernet cable?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my PC running so slow after using an ethernet cable?: So I've recently started using an ethernet cable 30ish minutes ago and I immediately saw that my PC started slowing down heavily.This wasn't a problem before when I was using an internet adapter, so I'm not really sure what happened.I also did an antivirus scan and nothing...
  6. Why is my PC running so slow after using an ethernet cable?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. ethernet very slow on startup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ethernet very slow on startup.: For the last year or two, whenever I turn on my PC, my Ethernet connection doesn't work properly and is incredibly slow. The only way to resolve this is by repeatedly unplugging and plugging it back in. I've tested three different Ethernet cables, and they all have the same...
  8. ethernet very slow on startup.

ethernet very slow on startup.: For the last year or two, whenever I turn on my PC, my Ethernet connection doesn't work properly and is incredibly slow. The only way to resolve this is by repeatedly unplugging and plugging it back in. I've tested three different Ethernet cables, and they all have the same...
  9. ethernet very slow on startup.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  10. slow ethernet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    slow ethernet connection: Hello, recently I kept downloading games but then I realized that my ethernet connection is slow, 500 kbps :scream: I tried changing my DNS, checking for any updates, clearing my cache via command prompt, and many more. I tried plugging in the ethernet cable into my laptop,...