Windows 10: Ethernet suddenly running at 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps

Discus and support Ethernet suddenly running at 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, So, a few weeks ago I had some problems with getting 1000Mbps running (it ran at 100Mbps) on the motherboards ethernet port. It ended in me buying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rydberg95, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Rydberg95 Win User

Ethernet suddenly running at 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps

Hi,

So, a few weeks ago I had some problems with getting 1000Mbps running (it ran at 100Mbps) on the motherboards ethernet port. It ended in me buying a PCI-E express card, and the connection started running at 1000Mbps.

The PCI-e card is of model TP-Link TG-3468.
    The router is of model ASUS RT-AX82U.
    My Windows Version is "Version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.746)"

Fast forward to yesterday, when I (unrelatedly) installed a switch between the router and a couple of other connected devices. I noticed that my desktop computer started running at 100Mbps again, and I can't get it to run at 1000Mbps. I'm not sure that it's related to me installing the switch (it shouldn't be).

Some things I've tried/other info:

• The desktop computer not getting gigabit speed is not connected to the switch - it's connected directly to the router.
    • I tried connecting a Raspberry Pi 4 with the same cable that the desktop computer is using, and it gets 1000Mbps speed. So - the cable doesn't seem to be the problem.
    • I tried switching the PCI-E slot that the gigabit card is installed into, and it doesn't make a difference-.
    • I tried installing the latest drivers (both from TP-Link:s website, and Windows Update). No difference.
    • I tried forcing gigabit speed in the settings of the adapter, but it still connects with 100Mbps.
    • I think some Windows Updates was installed a few days ago. Don't know if it could be

Does anyone have any suggestions in getting my connection to run at 1000Mbps again?

:)

Rydberg95, Jan 20, 2021
  2. Paul7989 Win User

Router dropping from 1000mbps to 100mbps

My router was running 4 ports at 1000mbps but now 3 have dropped to 100mbps I have tried new cables but has not worked??? Help please..

Paul7989, Jan 20, 2021
  3. lse123 Win User
    Is possible do a PC backup on NAS with 1000Mbps speed ?????

I have a PC 1000Mbps Ethernet card, a switch 1000Mbps, a NAS 1000Mbps, and an Internet Gateway 100Mbps

lse123, Jan 20, 2021
  4. gl3nborj Win User

Gateway speed will choke both, try connecting the NAS directly to the ethernet card to achieve your goal. Else buy a high speed router/gateway whichi can provide the said transfer speed.

gl3nborj, Jan 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Ethernet suddenly running at 100Mbps instead of 1000Mbps - Similar Threads - Ethernet suddenly running

2. Windows 11 throttling ethernet port to 100mbps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 throttling ethernet port to 100mbps: Why is windows 11 throttling my ethernet connection down to 100mbps? I have a 2gbps fiber optic eero router and a 2.5gbps ethernet card which initially showed 2.5gbps under the network status. I can change from auto negotiation to 2.5gbps but that seems counter intuitive...
  3. Windows 11 throttling ethernet port to 100mbps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 throttling ethernet port to 100mbps: Why is windows 11 throttling my ethernet connection down to 100mbps? I have a 2gbps fiber optic eero router and a 2.5gbps ethernet card which initially showed 2.5gbps under the network status. I can change from auto negotiation to 2.5gbps but that seems counter intuitive...
  4. Ethernet suddenly died

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ethernet suddenly died: The Ethernet connection suddenly just died. I can see on the router it has negotiated 1GB but ipconfig shows "media disconnected". I have tried different ports on the router and a different cable but no change. Did my motherboard ethernet port just die?? [img] 167806
  5. Suddenly need ethernet

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Suddenly need ethernet: Hey all! So after turning on my PC, I suddenly realised that there was no internet connection and no way to connect. I tried my network settings and troubleshooting, but it said I had to connect an ethernet cable to my PC. This is odd, because I've never had an ethernet...
  6. Ethernet Suddenly Slow?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet Suddenly Slow?: Hi, I was installing my new SSD and I completely wiped my hard drive to start fresh and make it easier to install Windows on my SSD. Along the way, I unplugged everything from my PC to put in the new part. After I installed the SSD everything worked fine (it still is), but I...
  7. My second Router the Ethernet is capped at 100mbps HELPPPP

My second Router the Ethernet is capped at 100mbps HELPPPP: hello, i have been looking for weeks now to try and fix this? no luck? i see people saying it may be bad wires but mine are all cat 6 i had all mine done off the same reel of wire too, now the one going from my virgin media hub into my second router, when i put that into my...
  8. An app is suddenly running in background instead of foreground as it should

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An app is suddenly running in background instead of foreground as it should: Hi, There was a thread on this, but the advice wasn't helpful and the thread was locked. So here is a new thread. Win 10. I installed an external app (so doesnt appear in the Settings-Privacy-Background Apps list. The app runs fine, until I minimise it. then it moves...
  9. Ethernet adapter working with 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps

Ethernet adapter working with 10Mbps instead of 100Mbps: So I've noticed that in last 2 months or so my internet became slow on PC but the wi-fi on other devices worked just as before. I tested the speeds multiple times and was getting only 10 Mbps instead of 100 that I was getting before threw Ethernet connection. I tried updating...
  10. Realtek RTL8411B running at 10/100Mbps

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Realtek RTL8411B running at 10/100Mbps: Windows 10 seems to have borked my wired ethernet - this is supposed to be a Gigabit adapter, but it's only running at 100Mbps now. 15239