Windows 10: Ethernet throughput drops significantly after a few days, coinciding with ethernet activity...

Discus and support Ethernet throughput drops significantly after a few days, coinciding with ethernet activity... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I'm having a problem with one of my machines. It's running Windows 10 and I use it as a kind of file server, so it stays 'on' 24x7. I also have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Disorganise, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Ethernet throughput drops significantly after a few days, coinciding with ethernet activity...

Hi,

I'm having a problem with one of my machines. It's running Windows 10 and I use it as a kind of file server, so it stays 'on' 24x7. I also have hyper-v enabled and run a couple of VM's like Nextcloud and Pi-hole.

When copying large files (eg an ISO) from my 'main' machine to the 'file server' I noticed the speed was only around 2MB/s and would take forever. After rebooting the 'file server' machine, the same file copy over the network was running at around 80MB/s.

After a few days (I have not isolated how long unfortunately), the speed of such copies again drops to around 2 or 3MB/s. I noticed under these circumstances, that the CPU on the 'file server' goes high - bouncing high 90's - it is probably *this* that is limiting the throughput.

I updated the drivers to the latest by downloading from the Intel website. Motherboard is Asus Maximus Hero vii, with Intel I218V ethernet - now using the '24' driver. I've also set the power mode to performance, though I did adjust the lower CPU speed back from max to let the CPU drop speed if not needed.

The box runs crashplan and bitdefender, as well as Emby server and the hyper-v VM's. Aside from that, it is unattended - I do have it configured to automatically log in since it's easier to check crashplan that way (my monitor has two inputs so I flick across and use a 2nd mouse/keyboard if I need to).

So...... Looking for some help to try and determine why the CPU goes nuts with network activity, and why this effect only kicks in after a few days. Even better if we can find a resolution - my workaround for now is to just reboot and I've been considering creating an autoreboot overnight - but it would be better to actually fix it.

thanks

:)

Disorganise, Jul 21, 2019
  2. Ralph Sta Win User

ethernet

Hi,

To better assist you, kindly answer the following:

• Did you try to change the Ethernet and check if the network is connecting?
    • Is the Ethernet working in other computers?
    • Are there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

We'll be waiting for your reply.

Ralph Sta, Jul 21, 2019
  3. How Do I Interpret the Throughput Value on Task Manager Ethernet Graph

Task Manager on the Performance tab / Ethernet selected shows a Throughput value. This is at the top right corner of the box containing the moving graph. At idle I a Throughput of 100Kbps. My link speed is 1Gbps as shown by the LEDs on the NIC card. When
    I right click the Ethernet graph and select Network Details the Link Speed is 1Gbps and Network Utilization of 0%.

So what is the meaning of the Throughput number at 100kbps? I can see small spikes on the graph about every 1 second. The Receive number in the lower corner shows 16kbps flashing about once a second. So clearly there is little network traffic. I assume Utilization
    is 0% because very few bits are being received every 1 second and it appears nothing is being sent. So my question about the Throughput number. Is it simply the vertical scale of the Graph? If that is so then calling it Throughput is misleading.

What does the Throughput number represent and how is it calculated?

Steve

Tigerg2000, Jul 21, 2019
  4. Ethernet throughput drops significantly after a few days, coinciding with ethernet activity...

Cannot connect to ethernet no valid ip configuration

We appreciate the information you've provided. We'd like to confirm the results after following the steps on the link provided on our previous post.

Meanwhile, to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check the following:

• If the Ethernet port is clean.

• If the end of RJ45 (Ethernet cord) is still intact.

• If available, test the RJ45 (Ethernet cord) to your other device and check if issue persists.

We look forward to your reply so we can assist you further.

Zedrick Del, Jul 21, 2019
Thema:

Ethernet throughput drops significantly after a few days, coinciding with ethernet activity...

1. Ethernet throughput drops significantly after a few days, coinciding with ethernet activity... - Similar Threads - Ethernet throughput drops

2. Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead: While playing games and such, my ping is fine and consistent throughout the multiplayer experience but during everything else, I feel like I'm not receiving enough throughput. It fluctuates but always stays in the Kbps range and sometimes entering the 1Mbps range for a second...
  3. Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead: While playing games and such, my ping is fine and consistent throughout the multiplayer experience but during everything else, I feel like I'm not receiving enough throughput. It fluctuates but always stays in the Kbps range and sometimes entering the 1Mbps range for a second...
  4. Ethernet throughput is inconsistent or sometimes stays dead

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Ethernet dropping out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ethernet dropping out: Hello, I have had another discussion complaining about my Ethernet dropping out completely and randomly for a couple seconds whenever I play games. Well as it turns out, after some more digging and coincidental moments, I discovered that my ethernet just disconnects randomly...
  6. Ethernet dropping out

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ethernet dropping out: Hello, I have had another discussion complaining about my Ethernet dropping out completely and randomly for a couple seconds whenever I play games. Well as it turns out, after some more digging and coincidental moments, I discovered that my ethernet just disconnects randomly...
  7. Ethernet dropping out

8. Ethernet Drop Outs

Ethernet Drop Outs: Hi folks For a few weeks now I've been having a number of issues with my LAN connection dropping out on me. It happens every five minutes or so, for about a minute at a time. I've done troubleshooting on my router and there is no issue here, it's worth noting that...
  9. Ethernet connection drops

Ethernet connection drops: I am having problems with my internet connection for my PC. The connection is via an Ethernet connectiion to the modem, not via Wi-Fi. Occasionally, the connection will drop and the only way I can re-connect is by restarting the PC. The problem is not with the modem (which...
  10. Ethernet adapter intermittently dropping

Ethernet adapter intermittently dropping: Hi Guys, After updating from windows 8.1 to windows 10 my Ethernet adapter is intermittently dropping my connection. I have another machine exactly the same specs and it is not happening on the machine. The Ethernet adapter is a [img] Has anyone experienced an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. problem with windows 10 pro nic card writes to to a workgroup