Windows 10: Event 264 - Problem?

Discus and support Event 264 - Problem? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi i've noticed my 2004 machine has spawned a bunch of Event 264s, eg: The storage optimiser couldn't complete retrim on New Volume (G:) because: The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by wolfie138, Jan 29, 2021.

1. wolfie138 Win User

Event 264 - Problem?

Hi
    i've noticed my 2004 machine has spawned a bunch of Event 264s, eg:

The storage optimiser couldn't complete retrim on New Volume (GEvent 264 - Problem? :) because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)

is there anything i need to know about this? my drives are SSDs and i was under the impression you didn't defrag those. aside from that, the G drive mentioned here for example, has only used 137gig of its 700gig size.

TIA

:)

wolfie138, Jan 29, 2021
  2. ddelo Win User

Export All Administrative Events to Excel

To analyze events, from the Windows Event Viewer, there is a simple way to export all Administrative Events to Excel, with PowerShell.

Exporting all Administrative Events to Excel is a simple two Step process, as described here:

Step 1 - Create the Administrative Events View .xml file
    1. Open Eventviewer (%windir%\system32\eventvwr.msc)
    2. Navigate to: Event Viewer (Local) > Custom Views > Administrative Events
    3. In the “Actions” pane select “Filter Current Custom View”.
    4. Select the the XML tab.
    5. Press Ctrl+A to select all the XML code of the Custom View.
    6. Open a notepad, paste the selected code and save the file to your Desktop as AdmEvtView.xml

Step 2 - Create the csv file with the events
    1. Download the ExportEvtCSV.zip file, which contains the script ExportEvtCSV.ps1 and unzip it, on your Desktop.
      It's not a fancy script, just basic PowerShell commands to create a csv file on the Desktop.
    2. In Windows Search, type “ISE” (without the quotes) to open “Windows PowerShell ISE” and Run as administrator
    3. To allow running the script, change the ExecutionPolicy, for this session. To do that, in the Console pane type:
      Code:
    4. In the Windows PowerShell ISE, open and run the script: ExportEvtCSV.ps1
      The script will create a csv file with a name YYYYMMDD.HHMM.csv on the Desktop
    5. When done, open the newly created .csv file, format the columns as needed and optionally save it as .xlsx, if you wish.
    That’s it! You now have all the Administrative Events in Excel for filtering and further analysis. Event 264 - Problem? :)

Now to the more technical hard stuff... *Confused

There is a reason for running the script from within PowerShell ISE!

It would be great if everything was also working perfectly, when running the script from an elevated PowerShell too.

We can run it from an elevated PowerShell, which means that you just follow the Step 1, as above but for the Step 2 instead of the ISE you run the script from an elevated PowerShell.

The problem is that it will work only for anybody who has en-US format for the dates. Everyone else, who has another format (i.e. en-GB, fr-FR, el-GR etc.), the dates are not translated properly by Excel (although the script uses the –UseCulture switch) and remain as text in the en-US format.

I'm not sure if this a bug of the "export-csv" cmdlet, but although it runs the way it supposed to from within the ISE, from PowerShell there is a problem with the dates format.
    As I haven’t found a way to overcome this obstacle, any suggestion from the PowerShell gurus of the forum (like my good friend Shawn @Brink, for instance), is welcome.

ddelo, Jan 29, 2021
  3. btarunr Win User
    Mozilla Firefox To Pack H.264 Support

I think this H.264 license will destabilize a lot of things at Mozilla.
    • Mozilla will no longer be able to guarantee that their product is 100% open-standard/open-source (because it will contain some closed-source code),
    • It won't be able to give away Firefox source-code which contains H.264 CODEC to just about anyone, because that could conflict with the license
    • Browsers that are derived from the Firefox source (eg: Waterfox) will not have access to the H.264 CODEC.
    • It will dent Mozilla's image in the OSS community.
    In my opinion Mozilla should have flipped the bird at H.264 and carried on. H.264 web-content is still in its infancy, and lack of support from Firefox should instead hinder its adoption, not that of Firefox.

btarunr, Jan 29, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Event 264 - Problem?

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Event 264 - Problem?

1. Event 264 - Problem? - Similar Threads - Event 264 Problem

2. Erro ID 264

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Erro ID 264: Apresentando erro 264, em SSD q suport Trim, e em HD.li as considerações inclusive em ingles, de 2020... nada com a resolução.detalhe erro apresentado vem depois de download de atualização obrigatória do windows update. win 10 home 22h2 kb5025367, em abr2023!...
  3. Erro ID 264

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Erro ID 264: Apresentando erro 264, em SSD q suport Trim, e em HD.li as considerações inclusive em ingles, de 2020... nada com a resolução.detalhe erro apresentado vem depois de download de atualização obrigatória do windows update. win 10 home 22h2 kb5025367, em abr2023!...
  4. Erro ID 264

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue: Upon looking at event viewer under Error title: The storage optimiser couldn't complete re-trim on G: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. 0x8900002AUnder Windows Logs it says that : The storage optimiser successfully completed...
  6. Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue: Upon looking at event viewer under Error title: The storage optimiser couldn't complete re-trim on G: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. 0x8900002AUnder Windows Logs it says that : The storage optimiser successfully completed...
  7. Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue

8. Event 264 defrag

Event 264 defrag: Hi,I was looking through the event viewer as I had a CTD and managed to recover with a ChkdskI discovered an Event 264 for each partition not on an ssd:The storage optimiser couldn't complete re-trim on Data D: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware...
  9. h.264 converter to mp4

in Windows 10 Customization
    h.264 converter to mp4: I have a Lenovo with windows 10 pro. I have always had to convert my output files from the cctv cameras to mp4 via an avi converter. I can't find any program that microsoft likes to accomplish my tasks. how can I get the non microsoft programs to default...
  10. H.264 stand alone DVR

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    H.264 stand alone DVR: I cannot view my home security system (h.264) in microsoft edge i have set all my ports forwarding in my router and they are open and my router is not blocking those Any suggestions Charlie...