Windows 10: Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD

Discus and support Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10, 1803. Today I got a message I needed to restart to repair corruption. After the reboot and repair I found those three events (actually 98... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TCrowe, Feb 11, 2019.

1. TCrowe Win User

Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD

Windows 10, 1803. Today I got a message I needed to restart to repair corruption. After the reboot and repair I found those three events (actually 98 was twice). The corruption occurred on my 3 month old Intel SSD and on the F: drive, which is the reserved drive. I have the latest firmware of this drive and did a quickscan from Intels toolbox which does not find any problems. I also looked at the SMART records and everything looks good.

Is this something I need to be concerned about?

Thank!

:)

TCrowe, Feb 11, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98

Hi, suggest you try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - gives a great quick analysis (SSDs too).

Please post the results.

Event ID 153:
    This event may be an indication that the specified drive may be failing soon. This is especially true if the event is recorded regularly. The first step is to run the maintenance utilities related to hard drives, starting with CHKDSK and the utilities available from the manufacturer for that specific brand.

Event ID 98:
    Event ID: 98

dalchina, Feb 11, 2019
  3. Event ID 98, Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)

Hi All,

One of my server keeps getting this error message and I believe the reason why my Altaro VM Backup are giving me a warning message everyday. Below are the event ID which I think is causing this warning message:

Event ID 98, Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)

Volume ?? (\Device\HarddiskVolume19) requires an Online Scan. An Online Scan will automatically run as part of the next scheduled maintenance task. Alternatively you may run "CHKDSK /SCAN" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME
    <drive:> -SCAN" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

Below is the warning message I got everyday from our backup software. I have already raised this issue to our vendor but they told me that this is basically a warning from the OS and I need to fix this on OS level.

Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD b0a31d9d-3134-43d5-83b7-091ae7066cb1?upload=true.png

Does anyone encounter this issue or any knows how I can remove this warning message? I am running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

JeffreyWee, Feb 11, 2019
  4. JayJaeger Win User

Event IDs 55 and 98 request chkdsk /F but \Device\HarddiskVolume# does not exist when doing diskpart => list volume

Very recently (November 7, 2017 and November 13) has issued a notification and event logs that *SEEM* to indicate a problem.

The sequence is:

(Event ID 98): Volume D: (\Device\HarddiskVolume6) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

(Event ID 55)

A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume D:.

The exact nature of the corruption is unknown. The file system structures need to be scanned and fixed offline.

(Repeat of Event ID 98 ).

In the first of the two cases, I also immediately (2 seconds later) got Event ID 130, which indicated it has been repaired, even though I had NOT run CHKDSK at that point.

The thing is, the Volume it identifies as being associated with drive D: DOES NOT EXIST:

------------------------------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.15063.0

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: JAYW7

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 I DVD-ROM 0 B No Media

Volume 1 Z STORAGE NTFS Partition 3725 GB Healthy

Volume 2 System Rese NTFS Partition 100 MB Healthy System

Volume 3 C NTFS Partition 222 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 4 NTFS Partition 858 MB Healthy Hidden

Volume 5 D RAID-D NTFS Partition 924 GB Healthy

DISKPART>

-------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing I can think of is that "D:" is mapped to a Intel ICH10R RAID array, and that somehow it is getting confused at times, and trying to access a physical drive directly for some reason.

(Volume 1 , Z: is one physical drive. Volumes 2, 3 and 4 are a second physical drive, and Volume 5 is the RAID array)

After the first one, I did run a CHKDSK /F, and it ran the check and there did not seem to be any errors.

JayJaeger, Feb 11, 2019
Thema:

1. Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD - Similar Threads - Event 137 NTFS

2. Windows 98

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 98: Hi. I have a desktop running windows 98 as a hobby and i am wondering if There is an anti-virus program made by microsoft for windows 98, and if not, would windows security essentials or windows defender work?...
  3. computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98: Hello, I'm experiencing some issues with one of my drives.. not sure which. I get the event viewer id 153 error along with event id 98 I will provide screenshots of the errors to hopefully support getting help with this problem. I've tried replacing my PSU as this was the...
  4. event error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    event error: Product: 23-q141in SERIAL NO: 8CC6240HY3 PRODUCT NO: N4R49AA#ACJ product ID : 00327-60000-00000-AA218 Operating SySTEM WINDOWS 10 HOME SINGAL LANGUAGE 64 BIT VERSION : 1803 A corrected hardware error has occured. Component: PCI Express Endpoint Error Source:...
  5. ntfs file system error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ntfs file system error: can anyone tell me how to get past ntfs file system error page as ive watched all the vids on youtube and nothing works just keeps going onto automatic repair continuosly, wish i had never upgraded to windows 10 all ive had is prolems so i hope microsoft realise what they...
  6. NTFS event ID 138 help?

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS event ID 138 help?: Hello So on my 8.1 laptop I had got this error 20 mins after I woke it up from sleep. The transaction resource manager at C:\ encountered a fatal error and was shut down. The data contains the error code. Here is the C log. I know its a 10 forum, but the 8 forum is...
  7. NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NTFS vs. ExFAT for external SSD: Hi, I have a new SSD Drive (128GB) and I was experiencing some poor performance. I read in another older thread about it and I want to post here my findings. Windows has a very good utility to check performance of Drives : Elevated Comand Prompt > Winsat Disk -Drive X (X...
  8. NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD

NTFS vs ExFAT for a non-system SSD: Hello. I have a SSD just for gaming. That is. A standalone partition without boot (only data; Steam and other games are stored there). I am wondering if I would gain any benefit from going from NTFS to ExFAT. Your opinions are welcome. 18291
  9. Event ID Error Event 137, Kernel-Power

Event ID Error Event 137, Kernel-Power: The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance. Just browsing through my Event Viewer trying to knock out and solve any random errors when THAT pops up...
  10. Error 55

in Windows 10 Support
    Error 55: Log Name: System Source: Ntfs Date: 16-3-01 Tue 9:12:49 AM Event ID: 55 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: DESKTOP-QB0L353 Description: A corruption was discovered in the file system structure on volume ??. The exact nature of...