Windows 10: Event 98 NTFS on a corrupted hard drive

Discus and support Event 98 NTFS on a corrupted hard drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, 2 months ago I accidentally unplugged my external HDD while copying. It become corrupted (Thank god the files are good) and my access to my HDD is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Eren Akay, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Eren Akay Win User

Event 98 NTFS on a corrupted hard drive

Hi, 2 months ago I accidentally unplugged my external HDD while copying. It become corrupted (Thank god the files are good) and my access to my HDD is so hard(it freezes, it prevents computer to boot when it's plugged in while booting, it slows the entire computer) But when I rested my HDD for 2-3 weeks. It become somehow usable. Then, it's broken once again. Now I can't copy files. I saw a error in the Event Viewer about it. It says

"Volume F: (\Device\HarddiskVolume14) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell."

What can I do? I need to use this HDD.

:)

Eren Akay, Dec 9, 2019
  2. dalchina Win User

computer failed to boot - disk error event id 153 + 98

Hi, suggest you try Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) - gives a great quick analysis (SSDs too).

Please post the results.

Event ID 153:
    This event may be an indication that the specified drive may be failing soon. This is especially true if the event is recorded regularly. The first step is to run the maintenance utilities related to hard drives, starting with CHKDSK and the utilities available from the manufacturer for that specific brand.

Event ID 98:
    Event ID: 98

dalchina, Dec 9, 2019
  3. Event ID 98, Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)

Hi All,

One of my server keeps getting this error message and I believe the reason why my Altaro VM Backup are giving me a warning message everyday. Below are the event ID which I think is causing this warning message:

Event ID 98, Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)

Volume ?? (\Device\HarddiskVolume19) requires an Online Scan. An Online Scan will automatically run as part of the next scheduled maintenance task. Alternatively you may run "CHKDSK /SCAN" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME
    <drive:> -SCAN" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

Below is the warning message I got everyday from our backup software. I have already raised this issue to our vendor but they told me that this is basically a warning from the OS and I need to fix this on OS level.

Event 98 NTFS on a corrupted hard drive b0a31d9d-3134-43d5-83b7-091ae7066cb1?upload=true.png

Does anyone encounter this issue or any knows how I can remove this warning message? I am running on Windows Server 2012 R2.

JeffreyWee, Dec 9, 2019
  4. -KELLY- Win User

About error of Event ID 98

I have workstation which is installed on Windows 10 version 1607. I just found out there is <!> mark on C drive in Devices and drives windows. When I take a look at event log, there are event ID 98 error in application event logs in past two months.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Event ID : 98

Source : Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs)

Level : Error

Volume C: (\Device\HarddiskVolume2) needs to be taken offline to perform a Full Chkdsk. Please run "CHKDSK /F" locally via the command line, or run "REPAIR-VOLUME <drive:>" locally or remotely via PowerShell.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the cause of this error was I mistakenly pull out the electric cable from the workstation, and baterry was dead, so the workstation is forcebly shut down. I canceled check disk running when I powered on the workstation after that.

C drive is OS installation drive, and it is SSD.

I don't feel good on Running Check Disk because it sometimes break the system by forcibly changing some configuration for their "Repair" action in my past experience. Is there any other good way how to deal with the error?

Any advice will be gratefully appreciate it. Thank you.

-KELLY-, Dec 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Event 98 NTFS on a corrupted hard drive - Similar Threads - Event NTFS corrupted

2. NTFS Corruption

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    NTFS Corruption: Hello people I need help with my computer. There is 6 corrupted files on my computer and I really don't know what else I can do. I have tried everything. all the things that are broken areWindows UpdateSFC /Scannow won't workDism command won't workFresh Starting Windows 10...
  3. Corrupted hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Corrupted hard drive: Hello I had a hard drive go out on me. It says "The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable". I tried restarting the computer and using "chkdsk x: /f /r" But it didn't work. some of the the results are: 89600 file records processed. File verification completed....
  4. NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot

NTFS Error 98, Chkdsk on every reboot: Since June 7th, on every clean start or reboot my computer initiates CHKDSK on my system drive Western Digital SN520 SSD. In addition, a single instance of NTFS Error 98 appears in the system log which says the drive needs to be taken offline for errors. This CKDSK/NTFS...
  5. corrupted hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    corrupted hard drive: I was told I had a corrupted hard drive and so I bought an ssd drive to replace it. now I cant get windows to down load or to read anything on the pc. It says that I have 2 hard drives both new WD2t. and a Samsung 256gb ssd. but will not let me load windows onto either of...
  6. Corrupted Hard Drive

Corrupted Hard Drive: How do you reformat a corrected hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/corrupted-hard-drive/b4812ab5-d725-4cac-9aaf-8a1b884873f8
  7. Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Event 55, 137, 98 NTFS errors on SSD: Windows 10, 1803. Today I got a message I needed to restart to repair corruption. After the reboot and repair I found those three events (actually 98 was twice). The corruption occurred on my 3 month old Intel SSD and on the F: drive, which is the reserved drive. I have the...
  8. NTFS Corruption

NTFS Corruption: I rebuilt my system in December. Only components I kept from my old build were PSU, case and HDDs. On December 30 I noticed chkdsk running on boot into Windows 10. Event Viewer since then has had numerous Ntfs (Ntfs) Errors and Warnings. Event IDs 55, 130, 131. 55 - A...
  9. Hard Drive Corruption.

Hard Drive Corruption.: Hi everyone, my machine improper shut downs, many times and hard closing programs. I was looking for solutions and I found out one by check disk. Can you tell me how can I do that? Thanks...
  10. Corrupted hard drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Corrupted hard drives: Hi I am sure this has been covered elsewhere but I can't find it. My external drives were set to 'turn off write-cache' and we had a black out. The result is a 3 Tb Seagate external drive, a 2 Tb Seagate external drive, and a 500 Gb portable drive are no longer seen by...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. event id 98 ntfs windows 10

2. ntfs microsoft windows ntfs 98

3. Event 98 Source Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs cannot be found

4. microsoft windows ntfs event 98,
  5. ntfs warning 98,
  6. ntfs eventid 98,
  7. event id 98 ntfs (microsoft-windows-ntfs)