Windows 10: Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag

Discus and support Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a solid state drive (although I have forgotten the brand & model), which I have had for almost 3 years. This morning, when checking the event... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by phrab, Oct 18, 2019.

1. phrab Win User

Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag

I have a solid state drive (although I have forgotten the brand & model), which I have had for almost 3 years. This morning, when checking the event log, I found this error:

Date: 10/17/2019 11:49:36 PMType: ErrorEvent: 257Source: Microsoft-Windows-DefragThe volume PortableBaseLayer (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Containers\BaseImages\5d343fbd-856b-46b5-a4f3-797bd4a539a0\BaseLayer) was not optimized because an error was encountered: The disk was disconnected from the system. (0x89000011)

Although, I never set up a defrag or optimize, Windows apparently did it on its own.

Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag [​IMG]

Three questions, please:
    1. How do I determine what make & model SSD do I have, because I can't seem to find it under System Information?
    2. I know that you're not supposed to defrag a SSD & I never set up a defrag or optimize (which I assume is TRIM for an SSD)? Do I have to worry about this error?
    3. I have 2 external hard drives that I alternate to save backup images. I only have 1 connected at a time. When this "Defrag/optimize" ran, only Drive D was connected. Could this be the cause of the error, although I've never seen this error before & have always only had 1 external drive connected?

Thank you in advance,

:)

phrab, Oct 18, 2019
  2. Bundy Win User

Good defrag utility??

I have tried out most of the defraggers listed above and would not any of them on an OS drive. They all interfere with the boot optimisation that MS has implemented and do not adequately replace it (if the option to do so exists).

I recommend using the Windows defragger, prefetch ,superfetch and layout.ini system for your OS drive as they are all interelated and work the best.

For non OS drives, there are a number of approaches, I suggest Ultimate defrag or Optimum defrag do a great job on game drives or storage drives. Mussels thread has the info.

Bundy, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Windows Defrag

When running defrag, there is a drive listing for Windows RE Tools. It shows as a solid state drive and that it has never been defragged. It will not optimize. Clicking on it does nothing. Any suggestions?

Donald Eager, Oct 18, 2019
  4. Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag

defrag will not open up in windows 10

Hi Fionna,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better please provide us more information.

• Do you received any error message?

• How are you exactly trying to open defragment? Please elaborate the steps.
    • Which drive are you trying to defrag?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple steps and check if you are able to open the defragment. Follow the below steps.

• Go to file explorer and right click on the drive select Properties.
    • Click on Tool tab and click on Optimize and check if you are able to open defragment.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag

1. Event error 257 - MS Windows Defrag - Similar Threads - Event error 257

2. MS event email

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MS event email: Hi, I have received an email about MS event but cant find this on MS events website. Could someone please confirm if its not phishing email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-event-email/2d91257d-51ec-475d-b8eb-8287ad1c2620
  3. MS event email

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS event email: Hi, I have received an email about MS event but cant find this on MS events website. Could someone please confirm if its not phishing email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-event-email/2d91257d-51ec-475d-b8eb-8287ad1c2620
  4. Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue: Upon looking at event viewer under Error title: The storage optimiser couldn't complete re-trim on G: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. 0x8900002AUnder Windows Logs it says that : The storage optimiser successfully completed...
  5. Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue: Upon looking at event viewer under Error title: The storage optimiser couldn't complete re-trim on G: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. 0x8900002AUnder Windows Logs it says that : The storage optimiser successfully completed...
  6. Event Viewer 264 Defrag Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Event 264 defrag

Event 264 defrag: Hi,I was looking through the event viewer as I had a CTD and managed to recover with a ChkdskI discovered an Event 264 for each partition not on an ssd:The storage optimiser couldn't complete re-trim on Data D: because: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware...
  8. Windows defrag doesnt defrag

Windows defrag doesnt defrag: Windows 10 Pro defrag utility shows my HDD as needing "optimization" saying the defrag level is at 13%. I start the "optimization" defrag process and it goes through 5 passes of defragging,consolidating etc then stops and still says its defrag level is at 13% - in other...
  9. Event ID 257 App Events log- The Cryptographic Services service failed

in Windows 10 Support
    Event ID 257 App Events log- The Cryptographic Services service failed: System is functioning fine, however this error continually logs in the app log. Trying all kinds of fixes everywhere and hoping the Win10 forum group can help out as you guys are probably the best source anywhere for troubleshooting/fixes for Win10. Code: Log Name:...
  10. Fatal error C00000D4 applying update operation 257 of 10799 (ImagingE...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Fatal error C00000D4 applying update operation 257 of 10799 (ImagingE...: This problem began when I installed Windows on a new hard drive. I had swapped my old one out for one with more space. Everything was fine until I started experiencing the error listed in the title. Now it seems as if I cannot update anymore. I've tried both Repair drive...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com