Windows 10: Event ID 1006 from DHCPv6 Client

Discus and support Event ID 1006 from DHCPv6 Client in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently got a new modem and with it, a new wi-fi connection. Everything's been perfectly fine except for potentially one minor detail that I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by trashbag, Nov 9, 2018.

1. trashbag Win User

Event ID 1006 from DHCPv6 Client

I recently got a new modem and with it, a new wi-fi connection. Everything's been perfectly fine except for potentially one minor detail that I'm curious about. Every time I boot up my computer, I'm seeing this Event ID 1006 from DHCPv6 Client in the Event Log under Information events.

"Router Advertisement settings have been changed on the network adapter 13. The current M - Managed Address Configuration flag is false and the O - Other Stateful Configuration flag is true. User Action: If you are seeing this event frequently, then it could be due to frequent change in M and O flag settings on the router in the network. Please contact your network administrator to have it resolved."

It's not an error and it only occurs once at startup so it's not a big deal or anything, but what can I do to get rid of this event? I've found other people having this same event on Google, but all the results are quite dated and they seem to be having actual Internet issues along with this event which I thankfully haven't been having yet.

To be completely honest, I may have been receiving this event even before I got a new modem but I've never noticed it or paid attention to it until now. Would be pretty coincidental to not have noticed it until I got a new modem though. Anyone else have gotten this event?

:)

trashbag, Nov 9, 2018
  2. Xiusho Win User

DHCPv6-client

I'm getting multiple DHCPv6-client errors in my event viewer event id 1000 your computer has lost the lease to it's ip address and event id 1003 your computer was not able to renew it's address from the network. I've tried to google this but there isn't much info on it. Anyone know how to fix this?

Xiusho, Nov 9, 2018
  3. Andy B# Win User
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update breaks DHCPv6 client

I have an IPv6 enabled LAN. I use Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (M flag on the router set to 0) and Stateful Other configuration (O flag set to 1) so the IPv6 clients generate thier own IPv6 addresses and use DHCPv6 to obtain the DNS server IPv6 addresses.
    I have a couple of Windows 2008 R2 DHCP servers with just Global Server Options configured under IPv6. These options are '23 DNS Recursive Name Server IPv6 Address List' and '24 Domain Search List'. These servers are on different networks so I have DHCPv6
    forwarding configured on my layer-3 switches to the IPv6 addresses of the two DHCPv6 servers.

This has worked effortlessly with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 2008/R2 as well as Windows 10 version 1511. The clients see the router advertisements with the M flag set to 0 and the O flag set to 1 and generate their own IPv6 addresses and then
    send a DHCPv6 Information Request requesting options 23, 24, 17 & 32. The DHCPv6 server responds with options 23 & 24 and the client gets the IPv6 DNS servers.

I have built a couple of machines with the new Windows 10 Anniversay Update and the DHCPv6 behaviour has changed. The client generates its own stateless IPv6 addresses but no longer sends a DHCPv6 Information Request and instead sends a Solicit like it
    would if the M flag was set to 1. Obviously the DHCPv6 server does not respond since it doesn't have a scope configured for the clients prefix.

This is what it shows on the client:

netsh interface ipv6>show dnsservers

Configuration for interface "Ethernet"

DNS servers configured through DHCP: None

Register with which suffix: Primary only

Configuration for interface "WiFi"

DNS servers configured through DHCP: None

Register with which suffix: Primary only

netsh interface ipv6>show interface wifi

Interface WiFi Parameters

----------------------------------------------

IfLuid : wireless_32768

IfIndex : 3

State : connected

Metric : 40

Link MTU : 1500 bytes

Reachable Time : 18500 ms

Base Reachable Time : 30000 ms

Retransmission Interval : 1000 ms

DAD Transmits : 1

Site Prefix Length : 64

Site Id : 1

Forwarding : disabled

Advertising : disabled

Neighbor Discovery : enabled

Neighbor Unreachability Detection : enabled

Router Discovery : enabled

Managed Address Configuration : disabled

Other Stateful Configuration : enabled

Weak Host Sends : disabled

Weak Host Receives : disabled

Use Automatic Metric : enabled

Ignore Default Routes : disabled

Advertised Router Lifetime : 1800 seconds

Advertise Default Route : disabled

Current Hop Limit : 64

Force ARPND Wake up patterns : disabled

Directed MAC Wake up patterns : disabled

ECN capability : application

netsh interface ipv6>

I tried adding a scope to the DHCPv6 server and it does reply and I can see in the WireShark trace that options 23 & 24 are given, however the client does not complete the DHCPv6 process and still shows no IPv6 DNS Servers received via DHCPv6. I can
    see that it knows the M & O flags are now both set to 1:

Managed Address Configuration : enabled

Other Stateful Configuration : enabled

I have compared this behaviour to a Windows 7 SP1 host and whether I use Stateless DHCPv6 (M=0, O=1) or Stateful DHCPv6 (M=1, O=1) it works perfectly.

I am guessing that this is a bug in the IPv6 stack in Windows 10 Anniversary Update? I have seen some other people complaining about this issue so has Microsoft acknowledged it and commited to providing a fix?

Andy

Andy B#, Nov 9, 2018
  4. Andy B# Win User

Andy B#, Nov 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Event ID 1006 from DHCPv6 Client - Similar Threads - Event 1006 DHCPv6

2. Event viewer does not show event with ID 4689 on windows client

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event viewer does not show event with ID 4689 on windows client: Hello,I would like to see the event with ID 4689 in the event viewer. This event normally indicates that a process has exited. When I want to test this by stopping and starting the print spooler event for example, I can see this in the event viewer of my windows server....
  3. Event viewer does not show event with ID 4689 on windows client

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Event viewer does not show event with ID 4689 on windows client: Hello,I would like to see the event with ID 4689 in the event viewer. This event normally indicates that a process has exited. When I want to test this by stopping and starting the print spooler event for example, I can see this in the event viewer of my windows server....
  4. Event viewer does not show event with ID 4689 on windows client

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. DNS Client Events ID 1014 Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Client Events ID 1014 Windows 10: I have a gaming laptop ROG. I had my connection to my wifi disrupted and in Event Viewer I see a warning : "Name rsolution for the android.clients.google timed out after none of the confiqured DNS servers responded". I don"t get it? Can someone explain. I wasn't on using edge...
  6. Help with SMB Client Error Event ID 30803

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help with SMB Client Error Event ID 30803: In troubleshooting a network connection issue, I'm seeing repeated Errors in Windows' Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBClient > Connectivity log reporting Error Event ID 30803: - <Event...
  7. Help with SMB Client Error Event ID 30803

Help with SMB Client Error Event ID 30803: In troubleshooting a network connection issue, I'm seeing repeated Errors in Windows' Event Viewer > Applications and Services Logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBClient > Connectivity log reporting Error Event ID 30803: - <Event...
  8. DHCPv6

DHCPv6: Hello Everyone , have a problem since 2 days some pcs getting ipv6 and for your info i deploy DHCPv4 only on windows server 2016 . can i know who DHCPv6 server or Device . [ATTACH]...
  9. Event ID 1014 DNS Client Events

Event ID 1014 DNS Client Events: So I have noticed that when the October 2018 update happened I would get these randomly sometimes. Anyone else getting these warnings? I have my computer wired to an Orbi Satellite. Thing is that I wasn't getting these for a month till recently. 122244
  10. DHCPv6-client

DHCPv6-client: I'm getting multiple DHCPv6-client errors in my event viewer event id 1000 your computer has lost the lease to it's ip address and event id 1003 your computer was not able to renew it's address from the network. I've tried to google this but there isn't much info on it....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. event id 1006 DHCPv6-Client

2. event id1006 1003

3. event id 1000 dhcpv6

4. event id 1003 1006 windows 10,
  5. dhcpu6client event,
  6. dhcpv6-client event id 1000,
  7. event 1000 dhcpv6 client,
  8. 1006 dhcpv6,
  9. event 1003 dhcpv6-client,
  10. Router Advertisement settings have been changed on the network adapter 10. The current M - Managed Address Configuration flag is false and the O - Other Stateful Configuration flag is true.