Windows 10: Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate

Discus and support Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On every restart, I see this warning message: Disk 1 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by arachnaut, Aug 5, 2015.

1. arachnaut Win User

Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate

On every restart, I see this warning message:
    Disk 1 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue.

This did not happen on Windows 8.1 and there were no changes to any of the disks except for the Windows 10 update.

I do have a lot of drives (8) and volumes (14). But I looked at each of the GUIDs and UniqueIds and did not see any duplicates.

The reference to KB2983588 was no help as it does not seem to apply to Windows 10, or at least using DISM to enable that feature does not work:

Dism /online /enable-feature:MultipathIo

Does anyone have any ideas?

:)

arachnaut, Aug 5, 2015

2. KB3206632 update failure

Select the keyboard shortcut Win+S, type
    Services,
    click View local services in the drop down list and press the
    ENTER key. Locate NetTcpPortSharing in the list. Check that it has started and that the StartUp type is
    Automatic. If it is not set to Automatic right click and select Properties, General tab. There is a box after StartUp type. The options are available on a drop down by clicking on the arrow down to the right of the box. Make the change and
    click on Apply and OK. Restart the computer and check whether it has started.

Log Name: System

Source: disk

Date: 18/12/2016 16:42:20

Event ID: 158

Level: Warning

Description:

Disk 3 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue.

Event ID: 158 is logged for identical disk GUIDs

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/2983588

Please restart the computer and then click the Start button, icon (three horizontal lines),
    Settings (from drop down menu), Update & security, Check for updates.

Gerry C J Cornell, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Event ID

Is there any event ID to identify when a USB external disk is plugged in on WIndows 10?

EduardKiyko, Aug 5, 2015
  4. UOB
    UOB Win User

Exactly same problem here. I have 6 external HDDs in 3 bays with 2 HDDs each. They are all connected through eSATA (one port per bay of 2 HDDs) and used as backup disks. The problem occurred after installation of Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (clean installation since the offered upgrade failed 3 times due to some incompatibilities). It never happened under Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

The problem is with two of the disks (no. 1 and 2), and they are controlled by a JMicron JMB362 storage controller. The two disks are in the same bay, which is connected to one eSATA port that is shared by both disks. I am not sure whether this is a (or the) reason for the problem. However, as said, it did not happen under Windows 7, despite exactly the same hardware configuration and connections for the HDDs.

After some adjustments in the BIOS (e.g. setting the JMicron controller to RAID operation - even though no RAID is configured) helped to make all disks visible. Before, some were not visible (presumably due to the disk identifier conflict). But the Event Viewer now still reports a warning, which make me feel uncomfortable.

Will continue my search and report once I find a solution. Meanwhile, any idea is welcome!

5. arachnaut Win User
    Interesting. I also have the JMB362 storage controller.
    I am not using it as a RAID device, just two SATA ports.
    I have not seen any problems under Windows 10 so far.

Somehow I assumed it might be due to one of those GPT reserved partitions that are small and never used.

arachnaut, Oct 23, 2015
  6. SOHO1 Win User
    Chiming in with I am getting this same problem. I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559. The drive is a SanDisk Z400s M.2 2280 256GB on an Intel 100 Series/C230 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller. *cry

Wondering what BIOS thing you tweaked.

SOHO1, Jun 16, 2016
  7. arachnaut Win User
    I'm trying to resurrect this issue again. I recently had an installation go wrong on my local user account (I have admin rights), but it would install if I logged in as the 'real' administrator.

The install under me failed and the install logs have references to installing under my 'I:' drive - which has nothing to do with the system or booting - it's a private data drive and not bootable.

The KB article in the event message has been updated by MS to be clearer, but it still seems to indicate that there are some system objects with the same name pointing to things. They may be disks or vendor products - not very clear what is duplicated.

The Diskpart uniqueid display shows no duplicates in the disks IDs.

WinObjs was used to look over all the OS symlinks and there are lots of symbolic links to the same devices - but I think that is normal.

The MPIO disk option appears to be only for Servers, not Desktop installs.

I ran Sysinternals 'junction64' to list all my reparse points and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

Windows itself seems to have lots of names for the same things - 'Documents' == 'My Documents', etc.

My local account under C:\Users\Jim it is not moved, but I have used the system 'Locate' tab on my personal user folders to place them on a 'J:\' drive under the same name as they would be called in the C;\Users\Jim path. These are all directory junctions, not symbolic links. That's what Windows does with AppData

The J: drive is a separate internal disk than the C: drive.

Has anyone managed to figure out what this event means?

arachnaut, Jul 16, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Have any of the disks been cloned as this would cause it

Samuria, Jul 16, 2017
  9. arachnaut Win User
    Yes, I had 2 drives that were used for backup - one for Acronis and one for Retrospect - that were originally 2 TB MBR drives.
    They ran out of space so I updated them with 2 4 TB drives formatted GPT.
    I think I may have cloned them using Acronis tools, but I'm not sure - that was some time ago.
    I never had the clone and the original mounted at the same time.
    Probably, though, I just started the backups on them from scratch. I still have the older smaller drives.

arachnaut, Jul 17, 2017
  10. Samuria Win User
    Samuria, Jul 17, 2017
  11. arachnaut Win User
    I know that, it is not relevant here. I mentioned the drives all have unique IDs.
    No clone and its original are mounted at the same time.
    This problem is far more subtle that what seems obvious (I think).

arachnaut, Jul 17, 2017
  12. Roadhouse Win User
    I know that this is an old thread, but it is in top 3 when I make a google search for 'Event ID 158, disk ' and I have read it from start to end - and have used two days to get that annoying entry out from my system log.

Yesterday I found out, that the only two disks that came out with this error, was my Seagate Backup Plus Desktop 8TB and my Wireless Plus 2tb (both mounted in my desktops USB 3.0 ports)) - and both .... was set as GPT disks! So last night I formatted the Wireless Plus as an MBR disk, and voila - since that I have not seen the error on THAT disc Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate :) But the other is still showing that #'$@&¤§ error! And as I need it to have only one large partition, I cannot make that an MBR disc. I have tried E V E R Y T H I N G found on the net about solving this error, but not one of them works. And I probably don't have to mention it, but there are NO identical discs (or ID's!) on my desktop - that is checked at least 30 times!

So this posting is just to tell other that find this great thread, that this is what I have experienced. It is not a solution - but a workaround if you have discs with af max. at 2tb and you're experiencing this error.

Happy New Year everybody Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate :)

Kind regards

Frank, Denmark

Roadhouse, Dec 29, 2017
  13. Bree New Member

14. Roadhouse Win User
    Thank you Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate :)

Unfortunately my English is far too bad to get hold of the technical terms - and my technical skills likewise :'-(

When I get to this paragraph, my understanding goes black Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate :) "Navigate to the disk’s hidden \Boot directory in the file dialog, which resides in the root directory of one of the disk’s volumes, and select the file named “BCD”. If the disk has multiple volumes, find the Boot directory by just entering x:\boot\bcd, replacing the “x:” with each of the volume’s drive letters in turn. When you’ve found the BCD, pick a name for the key into which it loads, select that key, and search for “Windows Boot Manager”. You’ll find a match under a key named 12000004, like this:"

I get an explorer which starts up in the C:\Windows\System32 directory - and from then on I'm lost.

BUT I will see if anyone in my family with better technical/English skills than me, can decipher the article for me.

Again - thank you a lot Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate :)

Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate [​IMG]

Roadhouse, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Event ID 158 - disk identifiers duplicate - Similar Threads - Event 158 disk

2. ERROR with EVENT VIEW 158-1502

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ERROR with EVENT VIEW 158-1502: Hi everyone. i have a problem . when i join AD and connect network company -> event view 158 and 1502 always. taskbar error i dont click open task or file in taskbar . when i want print file in word,excel... it doesnt working image. If i disconnect network company ->...
  3. ERROR with EVENT VIEW 158-1502

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    ERROR with EVENT VIEW 158-1502: Hi everyone. i have a problem . when i join AD and connect network company -> event view 158 and 1502 always. taskbar error i dont click open task or file in taskbar . when i want print file in word,excel... it doesnt working image. If i disconnect network company ->...
  4. ERROR with EVENT VIEW 158-1502

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Event ID 86, event ID 13, event ID 7000, event ID 8193, event ID 10005: Hello,It's a couple of months I have this problem I think it startet around half of may after a windows update.It's not very frequent but it all starte while playing Escape from Tarkov.Basically my pc froze and I had to force restart by pressing the power button.After I...
  6. KB2983588 relates to Event ID 158 & resolution relates to MPIO

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    KB2983588 relates to Event ID 158 & resolution relates to MPIO: Can anyone help me with this problem. I am a home user & I have no idea how to resolve an issue that presents itself every time I restart my Windows 10 computer. "Please insert a disk in USB Drive G:" . Putting a disk in the cd drive did not help. Somehow I found KB...
  7. Is it possible to silence Mute a specific event 158

Is it possible to silence Mute a specific event 158: I am running Windows 10 Pro with the 2004 Update Installed on 10 June 2020 For the past week to 10 days ... I have been getting a notification sound similar to the device removal sound and the System Event log shows Event 158 Investigation into the issue along with testing...
  8. Event ID 158 error – Identical disk GUIDs assignment in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Event ID 158 error – Identical disk GUIDs assignment in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]In this post, we will explore the causes and remediation for the logged error event – Event ID 158. The event indicates that two or more disk devices in Windows 10 are assigned identical disk GUIDs. GUID (or UUID) is an [...] This post Event ID 158 error –...
  9. Event ID 158 generated for USB card reader

Event ID 158 generated for USB card reader: At intervals I get audible tones for USB disconnect/reconnect. In the Event logs I have Event ID:158 generated for 3 of the 4 EMPTY drive assignments allocated to my USB card reader for no obvious reason. Why has it started and how do I stop it?...
  10. Disk Event ID 7

Disk Event ID 7: We have been doing in-place upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It's been going well, with just some minor driver issues and some user training here and there. Yesterday, I got a call from a user who has an Optiplex 9020, and she was complaining that her system has been...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. event id 158 vhd copy

2. disk error 158 Uniqueid disk id

3. event id 158 disk identifiers

4. event 158 disk 1 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system,
  5. Windows イベントID 158