Windows 10: Event ID 41 & 142

Discus and support Event ID 41 & 142 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing intermittant and random power offs - unexpected shutdowns. The system does not automatically restart... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RobBuss, Apr 14, 2020.

1. RobBuss Win User

Event ID 41 & 142

Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing intermittant and random power offs - unexpected shutdowns. The system does not automatically restart and no blue screens occur before the event.

I can see no correlation to when this happens - when watching media, browsing website, drawing in CAD or when it's completely idle. It doesn't seem to be overheating - it has happened when on for hours or after 15mins.

Event Viewer shows Critical Kernal-Power events with IDs 41 and 142 once restarted.

I have researched the problem within my own very limited capabilities - and checked a number of things including updating BIOS, checking memory health, updating all device drivers, updating Windows, changed sleep settings.

I have pretty much run out of ideas or avenues, which is why I'm asking for help!

It is a fairly old HP laptop - probably bought 5 years ago, but has run without problems until now, and I would like to keep it...

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Event 41 Error Details:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

[ Guid] {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}

EventID 41

Version 6

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000400000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2020-04-14T07:37:41.993907400Z

EventRecordID 19065

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4

[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer Laptop

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0

BugcheckParameter1 0x0

BugcheckParameter2 0x0

BugcheckParameter3 0x0

BugcheckParameter4 0x0

SleepInProgress 0

PowerButtonTimestamp 0

BootAppStatus 0

Checkpoint 41

ConnectedStandbyInProgress false

SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 1

CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0

BugcheckInfoFromEFI false

CheckpointStatus 0

Laptop Spec:

[System Summary]

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Other OS Description Not Available

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name LAPTOP

System Manufacturer HP

System Model HP Notebook

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU P0U71EA#ABU

Processor IntelR CoreTM i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Cores, 4 Logical Processors

BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.30, 24/12/2019

SMBIOS Version 2.8

Embedded Controller Version 96.53

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer HP

BaseBoard Product 80C3

BaseBoard Version 96.53

Platform Role Mobile

Secure Boot State On

PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale United Kingdom

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.18362.752"

Username LAPTOP\rober

Time Zone GMT Summer Time

Installed Physical Memory RAM 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.92 GB

Available Physical Memory 2.75 GB

Total Virtual Memory 15.7 GB

Available Virtual Memory 9.57 GB

Page File Space 7.75 GB

Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Kernel DMA Protection Off

Virtualisation-based security Not enabled

Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes

Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware No

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

:)

RobBuss, Apr 14, 2020

2. Kernel-Power event id 41. BugcheckCode 0

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In-order to get more clarity on this issue and to assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, reply with answers to the below questions:

1. Are you aware of any changes made on your PC, prior to this issue?
    2. Is this issue specific while playing a particular game?
    3. Which edition of Windows are you currently using?

A Kernel Power Event 41 can occur in the following scenarios.

Scenario 1: The computer restarts, and there is a Stop error BugcheckCode in the event data.

Scenario 2: The computer is shut down by pressing and holding the power button.

Scenario 3: The system randomly restarts and no Stop error BugcheckCode is listed, or the computer is completely unresponsive (hard hang).

I suggest you refer the article on Kernel
    Power Event ID 41
    and follow the steps for the scenario that is causing this error on your PC.

Additionally, you can refer the article on Windows
    Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows

and check if that helps.

Regards,

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Apr 14, 2020
  3. Michelle Vil, Apr 14, 2020
  4. Ernie San Win User

Event ID 41 & 142

Event 41, Karnel - Power

Hello,

The Event 41 is used to report the unexpected shutting down of a device. For better assistance, we'd like to ask the following:

• What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Did you make any changes to your computer? If yes, can you tell us the changes?

Meanwhile, we recommend following the workaround on this link. The article
    is about Windows Kernel event ID 41 error "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first" in Windows.

We are looking forward to your reply.

Ernie San, Apr 14, 2020
Thema:

Event ID 41 & 142

1. Event ID 41 & 142 - Similar Threads - Event 142

2. Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142: I was using windows 11 and my restarted unexpectedly. No warnings, no errors, nothing at all. I saw some error in the event viewer and I had no idea. There was a windows update earlier and I assumed that it was causing the restart. I tried to fix it by reading a lot online...
  3. Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142: I was using windows 11 and my restarted unexpectedly. No warnings, no errors, nothing at all. I saw some error in the event viewer and I had no idea. There was a windows update earlier and I assumed that it was causing the restart. I tried to fix it by reading a lot online...
  4. Windows Restarting without any warning... Event ID 41 and 142

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Recurring Event 142, Kernel-Power critical error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recurring Event 142, Kernel-Power critical error: Hello. I bought a new PC a few weeks ago, and when I try to shut it down, sometimes it hangs and restarts.The following are the specs of the computer: Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core Processor 4.70 GHzInstalled RAM 32.0 GB 31.1 GB usableDevice ID...
  6. Recurring Event 142, Kernel-Power critical error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recurring Event 142, Kernel-Power critical error: Hello. I bought a new PC a few weeks ago, and when I try to shut it down, sometimes it hangs and restarts.The following are the specs of the computer: Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 6-Core Processor 4.70 GHzInstalled RAM 32.0 GB 31.1 GB usableDevice ID...
  7. Recurring Event 142, Kernel-Power critical error

8. Help, Event 142, Kernel-Power

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help, Event 142, Kernel-Power: Im, pretty desperate to get help, I cannot use my laptop properly. What should I do? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/help-event-142-kernel-power/5813aba0-dd2f-4a7d-8105-c6e15c3f2019
  9. Live Kernel Event Error 141 & 142

Live Kernel Event Error 141 & 142: I've been getting errors either 141 or 142 once every day. It's either when I'm playing a video game or working on an application. I've done almost most things recommended, such as clean DDU installations, sfc scans, memtest86, GPU benchmark tests and I've been unable to...
  10. Live Kernel Event Error 142

Live Kernel Event Error 142: I checked reliability monitor because my programs have been crashing a lot. I found that it said LiveKernelEvent Code: 142. It says "a problem with your hardware caused windows to stop working correctly. What is the 142 error? I've been searching everywhere and haven't been...