Windows 10: Event Viewer

Discus and support Event Viewer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Is there any way to clear the items listed in 'administrative events' in event viewer? TIA, Richard 98433 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by RichardC, Nov 18, 2017.

1. RichardC Win User

Event Viewer

Is there any way to clear the items listed in 'administrative events' in event viewer? TIA, Richard

:)

RichardC, Nov 18, 2017

2. Delete Event Log Files created in one month

Rishad,

I noticed that some type of XML coding might help to export.

I export the logs basically based on the setup of the events. For example, you have Event Viewer (Local) -> Windows Logs -> Security. And I export them to )say the month of April):

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\Comma Separated Value - CSV\04.csv

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\Event Viewer\No Display Information\04.evtx

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\Event Viewer\Display Information for English\04..evtx

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\Event Viewer Current View - XML\04.xml

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\TXT\04.txt

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\XML\No Display Information\04.xml

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Windows Logs\2016\Security\XML\Display Information for English\04.xml

What is getting a bit more difficult is creating the Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Dell (OK a bit easy), but then you have Event Viewer (Local) -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> AAD. Which goes to:

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\Comma Separated Files - CSV\01.csv

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\Event Files\No Display Information\01.evtx

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\Event Files\Display Information for English\01.evtx

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\TXT\01.txt

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\XML\No Display Information\01.xml

D:\Logs\Event Viewer\Event Viewer (Local)\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\AAD\Operational\2016\XML\Display Information for English\01.xml

So maybe if an XML export can some export / create the proper documents, that would be great!

Thank you!

CoreyBryant, Nov 18, 2017
  3. Windows Store

Hi,

We can look into the Even viewer logs to diagnose the issue. Event Viewer is a tool that shows detailed information about significant events on your computer. Event Viewer can be helpful when troubleshooting problems in Windows. To open Event Viewer type
    Event Viewer in the search box and click View event logs.

Vinod Archak, Nov 18, 2017
  4. Event Viewer

You can execute attached batch script to delete all event logs. Make sure to execute the batch script as a administrator.

FreeBooter, Nov 18, 2017
  5. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Double click any event in the admin log and choose "delete". That will clear it.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 18, 2017
  6. RichardC Win User
    Thanks for the reply FreeBooter. If I run the batch script, will it remove all the events? My main concern is in administrative events. I had a corrupt file that was issuing critical events every 10 seconds or so. It accumulated thousands of events. Once I fixed the file, the critical events stopped.
    PS fdegrove: when I double click on a particular event, it just opens a details box pertaining to the event. Even so, it would take me forever to do them one at a time. But thanks anyway for your response.

RichardC, Nov 19, 2017
  7. Yes batch script will delete all event logs even administrative event logs are deleted.

FreeBooter, Nov 19, 2017
  8. fdegrove Win User

Event Viewer

Hi,
    @RichardC :

Selecting one event and double clicking it will allow you to delete not just that one but actually clear the admin log in a single go.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 19, 2017
  9. Clint Win User
    When I double click on an event, I don't have the option to delete. Only Copy and Close.

Event Viewer [​IMG]

Clint, Nov 19, 2017
  10. Pirx Win User
    "Administrative Events" is a predefined filter showing events from a number of logs; you can only clear those by clearing the associated individual event logs, which you may not want to do. I would recommend to leave well enough alone, unless you want to clear all the associated logs. You can also backup the logs and save them to event files before deleting them.

11. zbook New Member
    If you are planning an in place upgrade repair to move from 1703 to 1709 that will also clean the events.

zbook, Nov 20, 2017
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,
    @Clint: I made a mistake, it's "Event Viewer Local" that you can clear that way, not the "Administrative Events" log. Sorry about that.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 20, 2017
  13. RichardC Win User

Event Viewer

Thank you everyone. zbook, I'm already running v1709. I did run a drive cleaner and it did wipe out some of the unwanted items in administrative events. The others I can live with. Thank you everyone, Richard

RichardC, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Event Viewer

1. Event Viewer - Similar Threads - Event Viewer

2. Windows update shows no available updates but in event viewer getting 1001

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows update shows no available updates but in event viewer getting 1001: Team, We had issues with Windows updates with one of the Windows 10 machine. Then ran Windows update troubleshooter utility for windows 10 and it fixed the errors. But now getting lot of errors on in Event viewer. Can some one help me decode this and fix this issue....
  3. Event Viewer Closes Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Event Viewer Closes Unexpectedly: I'm having a problem with the Windows Event Viewer application. A few seconds after I open it and try to start using it to view errors, it suddenly closes for no apparent reason. Has anyone else seen this? Is there a known fix? By the way, in the Windows Topics dropdown...
  4. Anyone else get Event 2 Kernel-Event Tracing error in Event Viewer?

in Windows 10 Support
    Anyone else get Event 2 Kernel-Event Tracing error in Event Viewer?: Every morning when I switch on my PC I just get one error in Event Viewer..It is Event 2 Kernel-Event Tracing error . Under General it reads Session "CldfFltLog" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022 Ive been seeing this error forever on my PC and Ive searched...
  5. Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low

Random power offs / Event Viewer MMC snap-in errors / USB failure when battery low: I'm hoping to avoid a refresh/reset, not sure if I'm looking at one problem or three... Surface 3 // 4GB RAM // Win10 Home x64 [Version 10.0.17134.829] Symptoms: First, it was the internal USB hub - which includes the keyboard-cover and bluetooth - that would suddenly...
  6. Windows 10: Event Viewer error after installing KB4503293 and KB450332

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10: Event Viewer error after installing KB4503293 and KB450332: for anyone having this issues i found this fix and it does work however you will loose any custom views , what i did was moved the file to a backup drive so i can restore when MS fixes this but work around here at this website. rather than copy his info i will give credit...
  7. Error in Event Viewer

Error in Event Viewer: ESENT Event ID 508,510 and 533 warnings in Event Viewer also poor shut down times start up and have nothing running at start up critical errors multi time daily system restore error event id 8193 vss error windows 10 i did a repair install so far so good as far as vvs goes...
  8. since i rolled back event viewer corrupt

in Windows 10 Customization
    since i rolled back event viewer corrupt: Since I rolled back, my event viewer has gone all corrupt and doesn't seem to want to load anymore, I just get "MMC has detected an error in a snap in and will unload it, with options to Report to Microsoft or unload … doesn't tell me anything else...
  9. User Device Registration Event viewer warning ID 360

in Windows 10 Support
    User Device Registration Event viewer warning ID 360: Ive just clean installed 1903 this morning so I thought Id have a look in Event Viewer to see whats there. Im seeing the Event 360 User Device Registration warning..its not an error just a warning. But strangely, when I click on it under General..its written in jibberish. I...
  10. Diagnosing my freezing Win 10 (Event viewer image included) <3

Diagnosing my freezing Win 10 (Event viewer image included) <3: Good day and thank you very much for any assistance you might provide me, I really appreciate it a lot. I've recently upgraded my machine to Win 10 home from Win 7 x64, and I'm having some issues. Specs: AMD 8370e @4.2ghz 16gb ram nvidia 1070 Gigabyte M5A99FX Mobo...