Windows 10: Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly...

Discus and support Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; When you install a new app, or make a new document, sometimes you save to it to the desktop temporarily, or for easy access. However, when you don't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/okegameg, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly...

When you install a new app, or make a new document, sometimes you save to it to the desktop temporarily, or for easy access. However, when you don't need that file, folder, or icon anymore, and you go to delete it through File Explorer (This PC -> Desktop), it doesn't update properly on the actual desktop. Sometimes, the icon stays entirely, just becoming immovable & unopenable like it was deleted, yet still visible on the desktop. Other times, the icon is lost & is replaced with the default white-paper "unknown file type" icon.

I haven't figured out why this happens, when this started happening, or when it started getting worse. It's done this on two computers, all updated, and I never noticed it being this bad before 2020.

Of course, the quick fix is to Right Click on the desktop and pick refresh, but I'm wondering if the desktop's automatic refresh rate was cut at some point in 2020.

submitted by /u/okegameg
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/okegameg, Mar 8, 2021
  2. Error 404 Win User

Removing desktop icons

I want to remove some Icons from my desktop, but Vista asks for Admin permission to continue (I'm not an admin *Frown Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly... :( ).
    It seems that whenever I delete one of these icons from my desktop, it is also removed from all the other user accounts. For example, I deleted the Skype icon from my desktop, and it was then removed from everyone elses as well.
    How can I delete icons from my desktop only, without affecting anyone elses?

Error 404, Mar 8, 2021
  3. Mussels Win User
    Removing desktop icons

the icons are located in 'all users' folder somewhere (for example, i see a few shared icons in "C:\Users\Public\Desktop" )

The only way to fix those, is to remove the icons from there, and place them on to each users desktops manually. an admin may need to do this.

Mussels, Mar 8, 2021
  4. Try3 Win User

Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly...

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

Try3, Mar 8, 2021
Thema:

Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly...

1. Ever since an update in 2020, deleted Desktop icons don't update on the desktop properly... - Similar Threads - Ever since update

2. Desktop issues since update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop issues since update: Out of no where, several of my desktop files have small brown boxes in the corner and I can't open the files on the C drive. When I try to open them, I get a message saying, "the file name is invalid" or "can't open". Since the update, my desktop and half of my files are...
  3. Desktop issues since update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop issues since update: Out of no where, several of my desktop files have small brown boxes in the corner and I can't open the files on the C drive. When I try to open them, I get a message saying, "the file name is invalid" or "can't open". Since the update, my desktop and half of my files are...
  4. Ever since a June/July update, desktop defaults to sepia/yellow tint

in Windows 10 Support
    Ever since a June/July update, desktop defaults to sepia/yellow tint: So, I have been having this issue ever since an official update in June/July (cannot recall which one). I turn on the pc (Win 10 Home v. 2004, Build 19041.1110), and starting with the login screen, my desktop is tinted with a sepia/yellowish color, as if I had set up a custom...
  5. Desktop icons not aligning properly

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons not aligning properly: Hello, is it possible to adjust desktop icon width? I know you're able to change the height by holding CTRL and scrolling, but I'm trying to reduce the width. It may be easier to explain with an image, so here: [ATTACH] Ever since getting a second monitor, for some reason,...
  6. Update Desktop Icon

Update Desktop Icon: Hello, After a windows update an Icon appears on my desktop. Can these Icons be deleted without losing the update fix? They read: desktop.ini I have deleted them in the past, however, I'm now getting a warning not to delete. Can they be hidden? Rob...
  7. may 2020 update desktop is gone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    may 2020 update desktop is gone: finding no help on this one, an update occurred, all the computer did was recycle and recycle Hi, an update is happening..... now my desktop is gone, I found my files, but the desktop is gone and this computer is no worthless. so far I see Microsoft is saying they take no...
  8. DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES & DON'T OPEN PROPERLY

DESKTOP ICONS HAVE NO NAMES & DON'T OPEN PROPERLY: I posed this question to the community about one week ago, and have yet to resolve it by performing a system restore. When I log on in the morning, my desktop comes up in its normal order, but none of the icons have their name listed below them. If I right-click one of them,...
  9. DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    DESKTOP ICON NOT DISPLAYING PROPERLY: On window 10 on my laptop 75% of my icons are a little white box with dialogue at the bottom of them to say what they are if I enlarge them they are bigger but still a blank icon Micro Soft has suggested I reinstall windows which I did but everything is still the same...
  10. Deleting Desktop Icons.

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting Desktop Icons.: I'm a bit uncertain about deleting desktop icons. I recently got two new kinds: downloaded youtube vids got put in desktop with an icon on the desktop. saved .txt files got saved to the desktop with an icon. I think I've found that if I right click and delete the...