Windows 10: Ever since i installed a Windows update, the Search Index has been broken. Literally...

Discus and support Ever since i installed a Windows update, the Search Index has been broken. Literally... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Ever since installing a windows update, my search indexing has been turned off and nothing at all will fix it. When i try to rebuild the index,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by anthonyhyde13, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Ever since i installed a Windows update, the Search Index has been broken. Literally...

Ever since installing a windows update, my search indexing has been turned off and nothing at all will fix it.

When i try to rebuild the index, nothing happens. It doesn't index anything.

When i try to enable Windows Search Service the description says: ''<Failed to Read Description. Error Code: 2 >'' when i try to restart the service it says ''Windows could not start the search service on local computer. Error 5: access is denied on this computer''

I've tried running SFC scans, it either says ''Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation'' or that it didn't find any integrity violations.

I've done a clean boot and that didn't work.

I've tried the trouble shooter and it says that the windows search service is not running which i already know. Nothing can make it work.

Anyone have any ideas? This is so frustrating!

:)

anthonyhyde13, Mar 7, 2020
  2. zdzdz Win User

Windows Search and Indexing Broken

These are my permissions on C:

Ever since i installed a Windows update, the Search Index has been broken. Literally... [​IMG]

Ever since i installed a Windows update, the Search Index has been broken. Literally... [​IMG]

I have some strange Unknown users. I think they may be from the time I install MSSql Server. I'm not sure.
    And I don't have Administrator added. When I try to add I get this:

Red icon with cross.

And the Owner was Unknown something, so I changed it to my Account.

zdzdz, Mar 7, 2020
  3. Jan Del Win User
    Windows 10 indexing / search

Hi Erik,

System conflict is one of the possible reasons why the index built will not function properly. We suggest running the Search and Indexing troubleshooter by following these steps to resolve your issue:

• Open Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooting.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Select Search and Indexing and select the proper scenario that you are experiencing on indexing and click
      Next for the troubleshooting to begin.
    Update us with the outcome so we can provide you further assistance.

Jan Del, Mar 7, 2020
  4. Ever since i installed a Windows update, the Search Index has been broken. Literally...

Search index settings

Hi Samir,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you are facing. I will certainly help you with this. This issue may arise due to some corruption or broken index. Kindly refer the below given methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

I suggest you to run the Search and Index troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key, type troubleshooter in the search box and then press enter.
    • Select Troubleshooting. Click on
      and select Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.

Method 2:

If issue persist, I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.
    • In Command prompt type sfc/scannow and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.

Hope this information helps. Post back with updated issue details for further help.

Thank you.

Parth P Patel, Mar 7, 2020
Thema:

Ever since i installed a Windows update, the Search Index has been broken. Literally...

1. Ever since i installed a Windows update, the Search Index has been broken. Literally... - Similar Threads - Ever since installed

2. Search Indexing has been temporarily paused in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Search Indexing has been temporarily paused in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Search Indexing is an integral part of the Windows 11/10 OS, which ensures that it can be shown to them when a user tries to find a file or folder. Without indexing, WIndows search will be a lot slower as files will be searched in real-time, and the process will have...
  3. Windows Search Broken since Update KB4576754

in Cortana
    Windows Search Broken since Update KB4576754: Hello fellow sufferers, since the KB4576754 update only one installed last night my windows taskbar search is broken, and search does not work in the explorer. --> I can't even set the cursor into to searchbar in the explorer and there after hitting the windows key none of...
  4. Ever since the new update, using a second monitor has been weird

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ever since the new update, using a second monitor has been weird: I have version 2004 (windows 10), on an HP envy x360 15m-dr0012dx. Ever since the new windows update, I have had lots of difficulties using my second monitor. Sometimes (randomly as far as I can tell), my computer will stop outputting the signal to the HDMI port, but it will...
  5. Ever since the new update, using a second monitor has been weird

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ever since the new update, using a second monitor has been weird: I have version 2004 windows 10, on an HP envy x360 15m-dr0012dx. Ever since the new windows update, I have had lots of difficulties using my second monitor. Sometimes randomly as far as I can tell, my computer will stop outputting the signal to the HDMI port, but it will...
  6. This "update" has been in "getting things ready" and "installing" for literal days

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This "update" has been in "getting things ready" and "installing" for literal days: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Andypro69 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hfz0kb/this_update_has_been_in_getting_things_ready_and/
  7. Ever since Windows 10 the local network has been cripple

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ever since Windows 10 the local network has been cripple: Ì am afraid I have a sticky question. Since quite some time i have two desktops and a laptop on windows 10 latest update and the local private area network has never functioned properly. Often they can't even see their own shares and not the other computer(s). One computer...
  8. My disk has been running at 100% ever since a recent Windows update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My disk has been running at 100% ever since a recent Windows update.: HP Omen Desktop 870-224 7th Gen. Intel Core i5-7400 processor 8 GBB DDR4-2133 SDRAM mem. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Windows 10 I'm not much of a tech sav, however I had updated my computer a few days ago and didn't touch it until friday, I come back to it and it's all of a...
  9. Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search and/or Indexing Broken: Hi, I recently upgraded to Windows 10 and have encountered an interesting problem. I realized it initially when I would press start and begin to type a program's name in order to run it, as I was doing with Windows 7, but it would not find any results and would prompt me...
  10. Windows Search and Indexing Broken

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Search and Indexing Broken: After upgrading to TH2 I had an issue with windows search. The service wouldn't start at all. I managed to run the Windows Search service. I had to delete the Key RebuildIndex and change value of key SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 1. [img] Now that the search...