Windows 10: Ever since large Windows 10 update, "Safely Remove Drive" doesn't show drive name only the...

Discus and support Ever since large Windows 10 update, "Safely Remove Drive" doesn't show drive name only the... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Prior to a major Windows 10 update a couple of weeks ago, when I would go so Safely Remove one of my attached hard drives, it would show me the Factory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by #TonyAinLA, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Ever since large Windows 10 update, "Safely Remove Drive" doesn't show drive name only the...

Prior to a major Windows 10 update a couple of weeks ago, when I would go so Safely Remove one of my attached hard drives, it would show me the Factory Hardware Name of the Drive Seagate Drive, for example and the name that I had given the drive PCBackUp or iTunes. That way I always knew which drive was removing. Each drive would show 2 lines - the factory name and the name I had given the drive.

Ever since the major Windows 10 update a couple of weeks ago, the name of the hard drive no longer shows, and only the factory hardware name now shows. It no longer shows the name I have given the drive. Since I have purchased many of the same external hard drives, I now cannot tell which drive I am safely removing which means a trip to the PC to unplug/plug back the PCBackUp drive when I have inadvertently removed it.

I have googled far and wide and can only find how to re-enable the Safely Remove icon which isn't my probably - it's there. Even when I go into the Windows Explorer settings, I don't see anything that resembles turning on or off the external hard drive name.

I know, first world problems, but does anybody have an idea on how to get this information back when the Safely Remove icon is clicked? Thanks. Be well.

:)

#TonyAinLA, Dec 3, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Dec 3, 2020
  3. BetoLP Win User
    Windows doesn`t start. Authomatic repair doesn`t work.

Thanks again!!

I`m sorry I had not noticed that the text on the picture was in spanish. It says that windows has replaced some damaged clusters in "name" file and "directory". Then, at the end "an unspecified error occurred (75736e6a726e6c2e 4f6)".

I`ll do it and I`ll be updating this thread when I have the report.

- - - Updated - - -

I ran SeaTools. These are the results:

Ever since large Windows 10 update, "Safely Remove Drive" doesn't show drive name only the... [​IMG]

Does it mean my HDD is useless?

BetoLP, Dec 3, 2020
  4. Ever since large Windows 10 update, "Safely Remove Drive" doesn't show drive name only the...

Safely Remove Hardware - Windows 10

Hi Grant,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have concern about the how to safely removal of external device from Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to provide you valuable suggestion in the feedback app.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Windows Feedback" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then provide your suggestion.

We can also removely safely the external pen drives or external hard drive through below steps.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. It will show the list of Drives available on the computer, then right click on the external drive which you want to remove safely.

3. The click on Eject option from the list.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Ever since large Windows 10 update, "Safely Remove Drive" doesn't show drive name only the...

1. Ever since large Windows 10 update, "Safely Remove Drive" doesn't show drive name only the... - Similar Threads - Ever since large

2. Removing flash drive safely

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Removing flash drive safely: I need to safely eject my flash drive but once again I am getting the "device is currently in use" message even though I am not using it for anything. This seems to happen with all my flash drives occasionally. Usually I just would sign out not even restarting my pc, but...
  3. Removing flash drive safely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing flash drive safely: I need to safely eject my flash drive but once again I am getting the "device is currently in use" message even though I am not using it for anything. This seems to happen with all my flash drives occasionally. Usually I just would sign out not even restarting my pc, but...
  4. Removing flash drive safely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Drive doesn't show up in optimize drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive doesn't show up in optimize drives: Hi,I have an issue my C ssd windows and programs and E drives recovery a partition of the hard disk drive that normally shows up as D show up in optimize drives but my D internal storage disk and F external drive don't show up.They are both available in file explorer and I...
  6. Drive letters not showing up in safely remove hardware

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drive letters not showing up in safely remove hardware: Since updating to Win 10 2004, safely remove hardware no longer shows the drive letters of my external hard drives. When I click on the SRH icon the first thing it shows is "open devices and printers" and then "eject backup+ desk", "eject backup+ hub BK" etc. Before it showed...
  7. Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unable to safely remove USB drives since 1909 update: My PC was sitting on 1803 for a long time and I did the update recently as that was nearing end of support. Intially it was updated to 1903 but as the next update was available I went for it without much delay. Now I am seeing that any USB drive plugged in cannot be safely...
  8. Safe removal of usb drive

Safe removal of usb drive: How do you safely remove usb drive from computer on Window 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/safe-removal-of-usb-drive/8e1ea4eb-bfe9-4e58-866a-292b3c94ac03
  9. "Safe " removing internal drives ?!

"Safe " removing internal drives ?!: Why are my internal HDDs and SSD shown in the "safe remove "-icon ( placed in taskbar) ?? How can we get rid of this absurd notification of showing internal HDDs for removing...............!! 114602
  10. safe removal drive

safe removal drive: When I have inserted a SD memory card, I have the possibility for "ejecting" the card after which it can be safely removed. I donot understand why this possibility does not exist with an USB HDD. I thought that just removing such drive gives the chance of damaging it. 62174