Windows 10: every day or two file explorer won't open. must restart explorer.exe to fix.

Discus and support every day or two file explorer won't open. must restart explorer.exe to fix. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; every day or two file explorer won't open, none of the icons work. The desktop is OK. I have to restart explorer.exe to fix it. THis problem has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by CTNorwalk, Oct 11, 2018.

1. CTNorwalk Win User

every day or two file explorer won't open. must restart explorer.exe to fix.

every day or two file explorer won't open, none of the icons work. The desktop is OK. I have to restart explorer.exe to fix it. THis problem has been around forever, since I got Windows 10. I've tried scan file system, no help.

:)

CTNorwalk, Oct 11, 2018
  2. Kapil Arya MVP Win User
    Kapil Arya MVP, Oct 11, 2018
  3. landaksparky Win User
    Windows Explorer has try to restart whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in

Windows Explorer has try to restart whenever I open my external HDD or thumb drive in explorer

landaksparky, Oct 11, 2018
  4. Homeless Win User

Internet Explorer 9 won't run

That's the exact problem i'm having. I did the first two and nothing happens, but when I try and do the troubleshooting step I don't have the internet explorer performance troubleshooter. Oddly both my x64 systems don't have it but my x86 one does.

Homeless, Oct 11, 2018
Thema:

1. every day or two file explorer won't open. must restart explorer.exe to fix. - Similar Threads - every file explorer

2. two drives in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    two drives in File Explorer: I hope I filed this problem in the right forum. I installed a new external drive for backup. It appears twice in file explorer but one seems to be under c: and the other is further to the left and in the column like network would appear. both have the same data in them and I...
  3. two pane file explorer ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    two pane file explorer ?: Back when I was using a Vista computer, I found a nice two pane file/windows explorer program. Does such a thing exist for Win 10 ? Thanks. 43952
  4. File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer, very slow to load .exe files: Hi All, When I double click on an .exe file to install a program, in Windows File Explorer, it takes over a minute to start the installation process. When I use Total Commander to do the same thing, it installs straight away. I've also tried it after disabling my Norton AV...
  5. Make every folder in File Explorer display only two columns

in Windows 10 Support
    Make every folder in File Explorer display only two columns: I would like every folder in File Explorer have the exact same view; General Items (okay easily done) Detailed view (easily done) Columns Displayed (only Name and Date Modified) - Obviously I can change the columns after entering a folder for the first time, but I...
  6. Apps/File Explorer windows opening on system restarts

in Windows 10 Support
    Apps/File Explorer windows opening on system restarts: I think it was when the current build of Windows 10 (1709) came out that Microsoft introduced a feature where any windows (even things like Task Manager etc) would re-open when the system was restarted if they were open and running when the system was shut down. I wasn't...
  7. File Explorer won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer won't open: Glad you got it worked out. *Thumbs
  8. "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens

in Windows 10 Support
    "Cannot open file -a" / explorer opens: Hello, I keep getting this error when Windows 10 boots to desktop, when I close it opens file explorer. Any ideas what's this mysterious "-a" file is? 97243
  9. File explorer keeps restarting

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer keeps restarting: Hay guys. I have windows 10. And i have a problem. I installed windows 10 several months ago on one partition of my hard drive. This partition was just intended for testing windows 10, and i had another partition with my usual windows and one more with another (backup)...
  10. Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer: not responding when opening folder with exe file: I have a folder full of *.exe files. When I navigate to the folder to read its content (files listed in "tile" mode), Explorer hangs for a minute or two displaying in the title bar "not responding". Eventually, the files are displayed but it is a bit of a pain. I modified...