Windows 10: Every night at midnight my external hard drives disconnect. I need help with a fix plz!

Discus and support Every night at midnight my external hard drives disconnect. I need help with a fix plz! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 2 external hard drives one is an SSD that I use for games and one is a 2tb hard drive for storage. And every night at midnight my 2 hard drives... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Soulwatcher, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Every night at midnight my external hard drives disconnect. I need help with a fix plz!

I have 2 external hard drives one is an SSD that I use for games and one is a 2tb hard drive for storage. And every night at midnight my 2 hard drives disconnect and whatever game I am playing crashes and I have to restart the computer to get the hard drives working again. I am desperate to get this fixed I am starting to lose my sanity over this. So far I have turned the hard drives to never turn off, I turned off USB suspend and I turned off USB root hub sleep, Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

P.S. The SSD is USB 3.1 C type and the 2tb drive is USB 3.0

:)

Soulwatcher, Sep 21, 2019

2. External hard drive disconnecting

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience caused to you regarding the external hard drive as it is disconnecting. I will certainly assist you.

Please answer the below questions to assist you better.

• What is the make and model of the external hard drive?
    • Are you getting any error messages in the device manager?
    Follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Connect the external hard drive and perform the following methods.

Method 1: Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter.

Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with the Bluetooth adapter. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.
    • Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
    Method 2: Check if you can see the device in Device Manager

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Device manager.
    • Click on View Tab, Select Show hidden devices.
    • Click on Scan for Hardware changes.
    • Check if the devices show up in Device Manager in the device list.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Anup Karkal, Sep 21, 2019
  3. Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

Home - Global Support - FR

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Sep 21, 2019
  4. Remon Ont Win User

Every night at midnight my external hard drives disconnect. I need help with a fix plz!

External Hard Drive

Hi John,

We suggest that you try the troubleshooting steps below:

• Open your External Hard Drive file in File Explorer.
    • Type the name of the file you want to search on the search box and click Enter.
    The file will show up in Search Results and you will be able to move it to the correct folder.

Let us know if you need further help.

Remon Ont, Sep 21, 2019
Thema:

Every night at midnight my external hard drives disconnect. I need help with a fix plz!

1. Every night at midnight my external hard drives disconnect. I need help with a fix plz! - Similar Threads - Every night midnight

2. I need help fixing an external hard drive that shows up with no drive letter and can't be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I need help fixing an external hard drive that shows up with no drive letter and can't be...: So recently I had a problem with Windows Defender detecting possible malware on a file I downloaded to my External HD. The file was from a reputable source so I know it's fine. And it's long gone now an exe file where I extracted the data then removed the file itself. But...
  3. My external Hard Drive disconnects... always

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external Hard Drive disconnects... always: Just bought a new laptop... never had issues with the old one but with the new one running windows 11, my SSD disconnects. I have tried just about everything that has been suggested to get that hard drive to stay connected:- Changed USB selective suspend setting to Disabled-...
  4. My external Hard Drive disconnects... always

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My external Hard Drive disconnects... always: Just bought a new laptop... never had issues with the old one but with the new one running windows 11, my SSD disconnects. I have tried just about everything that has been suggested to get that hard drive to stay connected:- Changed USB selective suspend setting to Disabled-...
  5. Computer Turns On At Midnight Every Night

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Turns On At Midnight Every Night: Split from this thread.my question is similar, but reversed. my windows 7 sp1 professional home version keeps starting my computer at 12 midnight every night. have to keep shutting it down. this is getting annoying. how can I stop this from happening?...
  6. Computer Turns On At Midnight Every Night

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Turns On At Midnight Every Night: Split from this thread.my question is similar, but reversed. my windows 7 sp1 professional home version keeps starting my computer at 12 midnight every night. have to keep shutting it down. this is getting annoying. how can I stop this from happening?...
  7. External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive constantly disconnecting and disconnecting: I have a brand new device and I tried to plug in my hard drive to retrieve some of my files but the hard drive kept disconnecting from my device and I was unable to keep it open for more than two minutes at a time. Sometimes it would show the error message "a device which...
  8. My external hard drive keeps disconnecting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My external hard drive keeps disconnecting: I bought an external hard drive a couple of months ago and it has been working perfectly but a couple of days ago it started to randomly disconnect. What I have already tried: Try a different USB-Port - It disconnected more frequently in my other USB port Update drivers...
  9. External Hard Drive Disconnected.

External Hard Drive Disconnected.: I tried to format my external hard drive to clear it out so I could start fresh with windows backup automatic in windows 10. Now I no longer have my (E:) drive under disk management. I have a disk 0 and 1 but do not know what they are. Under device manager it shows as...
  10. External Hard Drive Dissappears after restart Plz Help

External Hard Drive Dissappears after restart Plz Help: I hope someone could explain why this is happening ?? Basically i lost everything on my external HDD & the only way to get the drive working again was to format it, That fixed the problem the drive was having (Unknown why data got lost) but if i disconnect the drive &...