Windows 10: Every so often WIndows decides to reshuffle my desktop icons :-(

Discus and support Every so often WIndows decides to reshuffle my desktop icons :-( in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My Windows 10 installation typically about once per week gets into a mode, where moving or placing a single icon on the desktop from one place to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mmo, Aug 6, 2019.

1. MMO
    mmo Win User

Every so often WIndows decides to reshuffle my desktop icons :-(

My Windows 10 installation typically about once per week gets into a mode, where moving or placing a single icon on the desktop from one place to another leads to a complete reshuffle of my entire desktop.
    I absolutely *HATE* that! I have disabled all Explorer settings re. automatic arrangement or alignment to grid or whatever. *I* want to be the master of my icons and nothing else has to interfere here and try to place things! I take that very personal!

Fortunately I have a program installed that memorizes the icon positions, so I can typically quickly rectify this, when Windows again runs mad, but why the hell does it ever do this in the first place?
    And what's annoying, after restoring their positions, attempting to move one of them immediately again leads to a complete reshuffle. :-(

Any ideas anyone, what to clear, delete or reset to stop this nonsense?

:)

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Aug 6, 2019
  3. ReShuffling of ICONs by Microsoft

Every time Microsoft updates my computer, my ICONS are reshuffled. I find this very problematic. Are others having the same problem?

Is there a way to lock the ICONs in place?

MichaelDFontaine, Aug 6, 2019
  4. Every so often WIndows decides to reshuffle my desktop icons :-(

I am SO over Windows Reshuffling my Desktop Icons

Right click open area of your desktop

Change View menu pick

Every so often WIndows decides to reshuffle my desktop icons :-( [​IMG]

Hint: You might also try changing the view to large icons on your 4k monitor

Change Sortby menu pick

Every so often WIndows decides to reshuffle my desktop icons :-( [​IMG]

Slartybart, Aug 6, 2019
Thema:

Every so often WIndows decides to reshuffle my desktop icons :-(

1. Every so often WIndows decides to reshuffle my desktop icons :-( - Similar Threads - Every often decides

2. Computer freezing every so often

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing every so often: I have noticed my computer freezing every so often. It happens more often when I am playing certain games. However I have noticed several events happening around the same time as the freezes. They are Events 129 and 153. I have run a memory check and storage check on the...
  3. Computer freezing every so often

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezing every so often: I have noticed my computer freezing every so often. It happens more often when I am playing certain games. However I have noticed several events happening around the same time as the freezes. They are Events 129 and 153. I have run a memory check and storage check on the...
  4. Computer freezing every so often

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Explorer.exe (supposedly) restarts every so often

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Explorer.exe (supposedly) restarts every so often: [ATTACH] So for the past couple months I've been having this issue where my all my windows, browsers, and desktop refresh and reboots. I know it has something to do with the GPU or graphics but I'm not sure what is up. I've reinstalled my graphics drivers but that hasn't...
  6. Screens are refreshing every so often

Screens are refreshing every so often: I'm running into a huge problem. I have Dual Monitor Setup, and every so often, both screens will blink like it's refreshing. . . If i'm watching a stream, the video goes GREEN, and I have to refresh the page. Getting rather annoying 165238
  7. Im Getting The BSOD Every So Often

Im Getting The BSOD Every So Often: it doesnt crash very often its only happened once before which was about a month ago just wondering if anyone can make sense of all this : ******************************************************************************* *...
  8. Windows Explorer Crashing Every so Often?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Explorer Crashing Every so Often?: So I got KB4551762 recently, and the day of the update Windows Explorer would crash every 15 minutes or so and Avast refused to start. After a fresh reinstall of Avast and multiple scans (I thought it was a virus at first) the problem sorta went away-ish? Right now it only...
  9. I am SO over Windows Reshuffling my Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    I am SO over Windows Reshuffling my Desktop Icons: So the only way I could ever get Windows 10 to stop play roulette when I put the PC to sleep, signed off, or someone else signed in was by setting the scaling factor to the recommended setting in all accounts and not messing with anything else. Well that doesn't work with a...
  10. Unknown window appear every so often.

in Windows 10 Support
    Unknown window appear every so often.: Hi. Windows 10 Pro I've just noticed every so often a window appears and disappears before I've had any chance to see what it is. I've not noticed anything strange in my running processes or services. Avast, Malwarebytes, Super Anti Spyware, Windows Defender all...