Windows 10: Every time I boot the system “Edge” is default program to open pdfs

Discus and support Every time I boot the system “Edge” is default program to open pdfs in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; After an update days ago many configurations were changed , including the default application to open pdf files , it was changed to open with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ron Wolpa, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Ron Wolpa Win User

Every time I boot the system “Edge” is default program to open pdfs

After an update days ago many configurations were changed , including the default application to open pdf files ,
    it was changed to open with Microsoft Edge.
    I changed it to open with my preference , Adobe Reader.
    However It happens that every day I boot the system pdfs are set to open with Edge once again.
    Is there any other way than “Choose default apps by file type” or “right click the file > choose open with > choose other application” to change the file association ?

ps.: the same happens with files such mp4 , wma and .flac to be opened with Groove
    I think this is a dirty trick on behalf of MIcrosoft to favor Edge and Groove

:)

Ron Wolpa, Jul 29, 2016
  2. b283s Win User

Windows 10 threshold upgrade changes program default for PDF's

Although they improved the embedded Edge PDF reader in this release. Microsoft changed the default program for all pdf's from Acrobat Reader to Edge. You need to change default program back to Adobe or every time you open a saved PDF it launches Edge
    with the less functional version of the PDF reader.

b283s, Jul 29, 2016
  3. How do I prevent MS Edge from making it the default program for pdf files

I do not want MS Edge to change any defaults. Every time I have to reboot, it is changing itself to be the default program to open pdf files. I know how to open control panel and change it back, but I shouldn't have to do that. I want to open a pdf in
    adobe reader. Every time. I do not want to ever open Edge. Ever. Please help. Or provide a way to uninstall Edge entirely.

B D EdgeHater, Jul 29, 2016
  4. gpstoloff Win User

If you're trying to open PDFs from within Edge, then Edge will automatically open them, regardless of what your system default setting is. AFAIK, that doesn't change with the Anniversary Update. Bad Microsoft, bad boy! *sarc

However, once you've chosen "Default apps by file type" or other system settings -- AND you haven't been synching your MS account with other devices -- then, opening a PDF file in File Explorer, IE, or any other program will open it in Adobe Reader (or Reader DC, as the case may be).

gpstoloff, Jul 30, 2016
  5. Hi, @Ron Wolpa:

In addition to the advice already offered...
    I had a similar problem with Edge and Acrobat XI.
    See this thread: Solved Default programs repeatedly reset to programs/apps - Windows 10 Forums

The ultimate solution for me was to: 1) make sure that Acrobat was set as default in all the usual settings in Windows, AND 2) changing the relevant preference in Acrobat (I assume there is a similar setting in Reader), AND 3) Unpinning the Edge tile from the start menu.

HTH,
    MM

MoxieMomma, Jul 30, 2016
  6. Ron Wolpa Win User
    Interesting , thank you very much

Ron Wolpa, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Every time I boot the system “Edge” is default program to open pdfs - Similar Threads - Every boot system

2. Default browser and app for PDFs is set to MS Edge every reboot

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Default browser and app for PDFs is set to MS Edge every reboot: Title. This started two days ago. As far as I can tell nothing changed on the machine between Tuesday and Wednesday to make that happen. Changing my default browser every boot is annoying, but at least Firefox prompts to be made default again. It's a HUGE pain with PDFs,...
  3. Change default printer in edge. Edge is looping every time i press Print in Edge or open a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change default printer in edge. Edge is looping every time i press Print in Edge or open a...: I was unable to select a printer in Edge. I pressed Print while in Edge and it looped immediately, showing an inactive printer as the selected printer before i could even select the printer. I tried all the previously listed options, changing option for windows managing my...
  4. Change default printer in edge. Edge is looping every time i press Print in Edge or open a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change default printer in edge. Edge is looping every time i press Print in Edge or open a...: I was unable to select a printer in Edge. I pressed Print while in Edge and it looped immediately, showing an inactive printer as the selected printer before i could even select the printer. I tried all the previously listed options, changing option for windows managing my...
  5. opening PDFs

opening PDFs: Trying to open PDFs as normal but keep getting this pop-up on my screen “C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat DC\Acrobat\Acrobat.exe” “%1”. Does anyone know what is going on and how it can be fixed? Many thanks in advance...
  6. Asks me for my pin every time I open a program Every time I try to open a program on windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Asks me for my pin every time I open a program Every time I try to open a program on windows 11: Every time I try to open a program that prompts the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" message, it NOW asks me to enter my pin every time, instead of just confirming it. I have no idea how this happened or how to change it back. im using windows...
  7. Asks me for my pin every time I open a program Every time I try to open a program on windows 11

Asks me for my pin every time I open a program Every time I try to open a program on windows 11: Every time I try to open a program that prompts the "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your device?" message, it NOW asks me to enter my pin every time, instead of just confirming it. I have no idea how this happened or how to change it back. im using windows...
  8. Edge keeps becoming the default program for PDFs.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Edge keeps becoming the default program for PDFs.: I work at a print shop and we're at our wits end. We can not do our jobs with edge, we need to use acrobat and reprodesk, but our new computers keep resetting so edge is the default program for PDFs. This is ruining our workflow and pissing off everyone in the company. How do...
  9. every time i open a ms program

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    every time i open a ms program: i get this message and have to go through 4 windows to dismiss... how to stop???? Your data, controlled by you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/every-time-i-open-a-ms-program/6847ba59-9fdf-498a-a079-d1fe04485b40"
  10. change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals

in Microsoft Office and 365
    change default PDF viewer in MS Edge for PDFs opened by portals: My default PDF viewer in MS Edge IS set to Nuance Power PDF Advanced BUT when a portal opens something that will be viewed as a PDF, it is still view in MS Edge. I'm believe I am up-to-date on all updates of all programs/apps. if there is anything else anyone needs to know...