Windows 10: Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved

Discus and support Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every time I logged into my hard drive, it would re-index the entire drive. I had the category "Date Modified" as the category to sort on, selecting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by G RichardYamagata, Oct 25, 2020.

1. Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved

Every time I logged into my hard drive, it would re-index the entire drive.

I had the category "Date Modified" as the category to sort on, selecting that by clicking on it in the file header. Every time I logged into a directory on the hard drive, it would start out with the files in the Name category in ascending order and then it would index on the Date Category. This drove me crazy. I knew that there had to be a solution, because I have 4 other windows 10 machines that do not do this. It was only my newest laptop that was doing this.

Solution: I found out I had to go into the file bar menu at the top of the screen. Click on View. There is a small graphic that looks like a window with files listed with a two headed arrow by it. Under that graphic reads "Sort by" In there, Name was selected with a dot by it. Click on that dot and it becomes "select by column" After I had that in this setting, Windows behaved like on all of my other computers. I could select any column to sort by and the files were not indexed each time I selected a new column.

:)

G RichardYamagata, Oct 25, 2020

2. External hard drive indexing information lost

Hi,

It would be great if you can provide me with this information for a better understanding.

1. Did you add the external hard drive to the list of locations to be indexed from the Indexing Options?

2. By mentioning “it's registered as an indexed location” do you mean that you have already done this?

If you haven’t added the external hard disk in the Indexing Options, then I would suggest you to follow these instructions and let’s know the result.

a) Press “windows Logo” + “W” keys on the keyboard to display the “Settings” search bar.

b) Type “Indexing Options” in that search box and press “Enter” key on the keyboard.

c) In the “Indexing Options” window, click on “Modify” button.

d) Under “Change selected locations”, select the external hard disk and add it to the indexing location list.

e) If you are unable to find the hard disk drive in that list, then click on “Show all locations” and check if the hard disk is shown up there.

f) Click on “Ok” and then click on “Close”.

Please let me know, if that helps.

You may now check if the issue still happens or not. If the issue persists, you may get back to us with more information about the issue.

Kind Regards:

Engr. Malik Yasir

MALIK YASIRNAWAZ, Oct 25, 2020
  3. Duekay Win User
    Hard drive problems

Problem solved Smashed hard drive to zillions of bits and send back to manufacture LOL *Rockout :rockout:

Duekay, Oct 25, 2020
  4. Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved

Hard drive problems

*Confused Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved :confused:

Black Panther, Oct 25, 2020
Thema:

Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved

1. Every time I opened hard drive, the hard drive indexed Problem Solved - Similar Threads - Every opened hard

2. hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive problem: after formatting my pc when i shuting down my pc and turn on it say not bootable device found in every shutdown must to installing windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-problem/40b5440e-7efa-4a87-a112-466985b71eab
  3. hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive problem: after formatting my pc when i shuting down my pc and turn on it say not bootable device found in every shutdown must to installing windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-problem/40b5440e-7efa-4a87-a112-466985b71eab
  4. hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Problem with Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with Hard Drive: There is some problem with my hard drive I am not able to copy files even less than an MB, sometimes folder takes time to load and in the meantime, file explorer doesn't respond. Sometimes opening some folder a popup occurs saying location unavailable and after refreshing,...
  6. Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive indexing (?) takes ages: Hi all, when I open a drive windows takes ages to (I think it's called) index the drive. The bar at the top goes along so slowly as if it's searching/adding in files on the drive and sits flashing away like it's working but takes forever. It doesn't matter if I only just...
  7. Hard drive problems?

Hard drive problems?: Hello my lenovo loptop ideapad 100-15ISK is suddenly down and im not sure but when windows didn’t load properly and then from then on it had boot problems after that i tried searhing for solutions through automatic repair advanced options cmd method and i type C: or the...
  8. hard drive problem

hard drive problem: hello, since about a month ago i have been getting hard drive problems, i first got a bsod saying 'inaccessible boot device', after a bit of research i found that my hard drive had totally deleted windows, all of my files and all my games. i had no input on this happening....
  9. Hard Drive Problem

Hard Drive Problem: I bought a Seagate Expansion Portable Drive. It worked fine for a few days. But It stopped working suddenly. I read Microsoft's Blog about this error. But it didnt work. It continues to give me Disc Write Error. Even tried to format it on Command Prompt. Once it plugs in, It...
  10. Hard Drive Problem

Hard Drive Problem: I've been using Commodo Icedragon Browser for several months with no problem. Last night, I got a pop-up that said it was updated with a notice if I wanted to install Commodo Cloud A/V. I declined and closed the pop-up. Next thing, my computer is slow, stutters, and freezing....