Windows 10: Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations.

Discus and support Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Every time I restart my computer, all Default Apps (in Settings) and all file extension associations (in the right click -> Open With menu) are reset... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jesbus2, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Jesbus2 Win User

Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations.

Every time I restart my computer, all Default Apps (in Settings) and all file extension associations (in the right click -> Open With menu) are reset to their defaults.

I really want Windows to remember these settings across reboots. It's really irritating to keep having to do it again for every file extension.

Another symptom that might be caused by the same problem is:

Every time Explorer displays a file with an extension it has not displayed yet since the last reboot, Explorer restarts completely. (I see the taskbar disappear and appear very quickly)

Thanks in advance to anyone who might know a possible solution.

Best regards,

Jesse

:)

Jesbus2, Feb 25, 2019
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Windows 10 forgets default apps

I have noticed like not 5mins ago that Winamp just got kicked out of my default apps list in Windows 10 Pro.
    I installed this installation not max 3 weeks ago with fresh downloaded Windows 10 Pro using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, is there a way to fix this bcs I using sfc /scannow don't do a lot for me and I have run it before on this installation.

Before u ask, I have fully updated my Windows 10 with all non-insider/beta updates.

The only thing I have disabled is the uac prompt that popup when u need admin for applications to run bcs it's simply annoying.

I don't remember having all these problems with Windows 8.1 Pro when i was using that and I am really thinking about going back so I can have "fully control" over Windows again with like disabling all the admin crap bcs I feel like it's messing more up and makes things less useful in Windows 10 with all these small problems I have and I read a lot of ppl having problems with various things time and time again where they needed to reinstall Win10 over and over to get it to work fully.

Any advice on how I can get Windows 10 to just work as a "daily driver" without all these small annoying things? *Frown Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations. :(

puma99dk|, Feb 25, 2019
  3. CherylA Win User
    Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows 10  

Not to pester you, but it is inconvenient to "open with" every single time, and I remain quite perplexed why every other possible file extension appears to be listed in "Settings/System/Default apps/CHOOSE DEFAULT APPS BY FILE TYPE" but not .zip. It has always been possible prior to Windows 10 to associate ANY file extension with a default program. I'm not sure what you mean by ".zip is not listed by default." How else would one permanently associate a program with a file extension? The link I gave you, provided again below, as well as others I could find - indicates that that other people have .zip listed in their file type listings. Have you checked your listings available at location I've specified above? I have ... .yps, .z, .z96... and no .zip. Do you not see a .zip extension either but see essentially all others? Link: unable to Extract Zip files in Windows 10 - Microsoft Community.

CherylA, Feb 25, 2019
  4. Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations.

Can a file extension(.flv) be added to Default Program Associations.

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues associating a particular file extension with a program on Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

When you say that "Default Program Associations", are you referring to the list of default applications in default programs settings?

I want you to be informed that all the file extensions is listed in the default program settings which is displayed under
    Associate a file type or protocol with a program.

In default program list, all the programs or application will be listed. Then we can select each program as default program for opening a particular file.

I suggest you to refer to the below steps to make default program for a particular file extension.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Default Programs and click on Choose Default for this Programs.

4. Select .flv file from the list.

Also you can try other steps to associate the a particular extenstion with the program.

1. Type "Control Panel" without the quotes in search box and click on it.

2. Click on Programs.

3. Then click on Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    and search for .flv extension from the list.

4. Click on .flv and then click on Change Program.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Feb 25, 2019
Thema:

Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations.

1. Every time I reboot Windows 10 it forgets all default apps and file associations. - Similar Threads - Every reboot forgets

2. Every time I restart the computer, it forgets the time.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Every time I restart the computer, it forgets the time.: Always after restarting when I look at the time, it shows a completely different time. I set the computer to synchronize with the time zone, but it still doesn't show me the correct time. What should i do?...
  3. Every time I restart the computer, it forgets the time.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I restart the computer, it forgets the time.: Always after restarting when I look at the time, it shows a completely different time. I set the computer to synchronize with the time zone, but it still doesn't show me the correct time. What should i do?...
  4. Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps: Hi, This question exact same title and issue is the same as someone posted 27 January 2018.Can you imagine!Three years later and you microsoft programmers still didn't act!For example if I associate Mp3 with MPC-BE portable it is set as default app but once in a while MS...
  5. Every time I reboot...

Every time I reboot...: Every single time I reboot, my laptop resets itself to the default Windows 10 settings and logs me out of OneDrive, I have to set up my Outlook accounts all over again, I have to change all of my default apps, etc.Help, I'm going crazy with this....
  6. default file association

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    default file association: I just wanted to know what does the following cmd code do assoc .srt=* or is it a valid command https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/default-file-association/0094eb83-785f-4a7d-aadf-7c5a92f709b2
  7. Windows Immediately Forgets Default Apps

Windows Immediately Forgets Default Apps: Running Windows 10 Pro, Version 2004, OS Build 19041.208 Hello, I am having a problem beginning today that suddenly Windows will immediately forget whatever default app I have chosen to open some files. Please watch this video for a demo: https://youtu.be/n0rJCs1RWKw...
  8. File Associations and default apps Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Associations and default apps Windows 10: I installed Python 3.7 today and started working with it. When I tried to run a Python program from it's folder, I found the default was set to Notepad, rather than Python. When I tried to change the default program, Python was not listed as an option, even though it is...
  9. Default app will be reset every time

Default app will be reset every time: Hello dear friends, I tried many way(safe mode, set default app by right click on each file,...) but unfortunately every time after restart windows default apps change to default unfortunately I can't restore windows to original one because of many app that installed! So...
  10. File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File associations revert to Windows default apps on every boot: Every time I reboot, the file associations for images (jpg/png), media (mp3/wav/mp4/mkv) revert back to the default Microsoft apps. I prefer to use VLC for videos, Winamp for audio and Irfanview for images, and it's getting really annoying having to set all my file...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. evetime I reboot windows edge is set as default PDF app

2. windows apps forgetting default

3. windows forgets default app settings

4. windows 10 forgets default apps,
  5. windows 10 forgets me,
  6. when I reboot windows forgets my profile settings,
  7. windows 10 not holding default app every time i reboot,
  8. windows 10 forgets settings after restart,
  9. windows 10 forgets customizations