Windows 10: Every time I Restart my Computer, the desktop resets itself

Discus and support Every time I Restart my Computer, the desktop resets itself in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; This is a problem that has been occurring to me for about 2 days now. I usually leave my computer on sleep mode so that it is easy to continue my work... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ArmanLyndon, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Every time I Restart my Computer, the desktop resets itself

This is a problem that has been occurring to me for about 2 days now. I usually leave my computer on sleep mode so that it is easy to continue my work the following day. Yesterday, my computer hanged while i was doing my work and was not functioning at all. having no other way to unfreeze the computer, i held the power button until it was forced to shutdown.

Once i powered on the computer, i noticed my lock screen and desktop wallpaper had changed back to the original Windows wallpaper. I had also noticed that all of my files and folders had disappeared leaving behind only my installed programs. Fearing the worst, i checked my drives and saw everything was intact. Then in a hasty motion to restore my desktop, i moved all the desktop files from the C drive user desktop file to my desktop screen.

Note that at this point, i had nothing in my C drive user desktop file and all my files, folders and programs on my desktop screen

At this point i felt all normality was restored to my PC and continued my work and shut it down when i was done for the day. Today when i opened my pc again, i noticed the same thing- wallpapers changed, files and folders missing, installed apps are all that remains.

I thought i would just restore everything from my C drive desktop file. But to my shock i noticed that the aforementioned drive folder was completely empty and the C drive was cleared up of more than 200GB of files.

I need your help in 2 things:-

1 How to fix the issue of having my desktop completely restored after every shutdown

2If there is any possible way of recovering all those lost files

Thanks in advance

:)

ArmanLyndon, Mar 11, 2020

2. Computer not booting to desktop, stuck at Restarting screen

Hi Fred,

Thank you for posting in Community.

The issue might occur if the system is not Shut down properly. As you have already tried restarting the system several times, I suggest you to perform a Power Drain by following the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Turn Off the computer and remove the power cable.
    • Long press the Power button for 15-20 seconds.
    • Plug in the power cable and switch on the computer.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 11, 2020
  3. swat354 Win User
    Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

Thank you john for all of your help i decided to get the usb my computer came with and factory reset it i didnt have anything that personal or valueable so its ok thanks for the help though i appreciate it

swat354, Mar 11, 2020
  4. Every time I Restart my Computer, the desktop resets itself

computer randomly restarts multiple times

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for posting your query.

Let me help you to fix the issue.

To understand the issue better, please provide us more information.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• When does the system exactly restart? Please elaborate.

• How did you upgraded to Windows 10 through Windows update or Windows 10 ISO?
    Let’s try simple steps and check if this helps. Follow the below steps.

Method 1.

I suggest you to check the settings, if the automatic restart is set on the system.

• Open file explorer and click on Computer on the top pane.

• Click on System properties and click on
      Advanced system settings.

• Now click on Advanced tab and click on
      Settings
      button on Startup and Recovery option.

• Uncheck on Automatically restart.
    If the issue still persist try the below methods.

Method 2.

I suggest you to boot the system in Clean boot state and check if the issue still persist.
    Clean boot process will help you determine which third party program/app that is causing this issue. It could be some other application or programs, which runs on the computer at the background, leading to this issue. Please visit the below link
    on how to perform Clean boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

Every time I Restart my Computer, the desktop resets itself

1. Every time I Restart my Computer, the desktop resets itself - Similar Threads - Every Restart Computer

2. My Computer restarts itself every time I launch a particular game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer restarts itself every time I launch a particular game.: Every time I launch War Thunder, Apex Legends, or Call of Duty MW, my computer restarts itself.At first, I thought it might be a hardware problem, but games like Squad, MSFS, and RDR2 run fine.I also tried stress-testing my CPU, GPU, and PSU with OCCT, and everything runs...
  3. My Computer restarts itself every time I launch a particular game.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Computer restarts itself every time I launch a particular game.: Every time I launch War Thunder, Apex Legends, or Call of Duty MW, my computer restarts itself.At first, I thought it might be a hardware problem, but games like Squad, MSFS, and RDR2 run fine.I also tried stress-testing my CPU, GPU, and PSU with OCCT, and everything runs...
  4. Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer: Hello,I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 an Asus Vivobook Pro 14x and it happens that every time I try to replace the default desktop wallpaper with a new one, it reverts to the default desktop every time I restart the computer sometimes the new wallpaper appears...
  5. Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer: Hello,I've just bought a new laptop with Windows 10 an Asus Vivobook Pro 14x and it happens that every time I try to replace the default desktop wallpaper with a new one, it reverts to the default desktop every time I restart the computer sometimes the new wallpaper appears...
  6. Desktop wallpaper resets to default image every time I restart computer

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. My desktop reset's itself whenever I restart

in Windows 10 Customization
    My desktop reset's itself whenever I restart: My desktop reset's itself whenever I restart the wallpaper is changed to default all the files exept in my drive are deleted leaving the installed programs. And now there is a new folder temp developed in my drive and all my downloaded files are saved in it. I want you to...
  8. PC Wipes itself Every Time I Restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC Wipes itself Every Time I Restart: I recently installed the last windows update. Now my pc wipes itself every time I restart or shut down my computer. What could be the issue? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-wipes-itself-every-time-i-restart/8b2b467b-5c5c-4e79-af2a-89dff935f002
  9. Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Every time I restart my computer, the "background apps" setting resets: A quick google search just lands me in tutorials on how to disable background apps in general. All of my other privacy settings are saved except for this one edit: I also noticed that apps appear and disappear on this page. For example, I have the Verizon Messages app...
  10. Why is my desktop/computer resetting itself after restarting??

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is my desktop/computer resetting itself after restarting??: I tend to change things around sometimes (like pictures, icons) on my desktop and occasionally my computer freezes, usually during a game or something. Upon restarting, it seems like Windows reverts the desktop to what it looked like a couple of hours ago, before I had...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. every time i restart my computer destop files are restored

2. every time i restart my computer the desktop resets itself

3. desktop resets itself after shutdown

4. windows 10 desktop resets itself,
  5. when i restart my laptop all data restore,
  6. computer resetting every restart disable