Windows 10: Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen

Discus and support Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I was using 2x Acer B243PWL (1200p 60Hz) with DVI then switched to DP when I upgraded to a 980 Ti with dual DP out. No difference in window behaviour... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/professorcheechi, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen

I was using 2x Acer B243PWL (1200p 60Hz) with DVI then switched to DP when I upgraded to a 980 Ti with dual DP out. No difference in window behaviour going from DVI to DP, or from the 770 to the 980 card.

I have now upgraded to 2x ViewSonic VX2458-MHD (1080p 144Hz) using the same 2 DP cables with no other changes. My PC stays on folding (never powered off, hibernate or suspend; only restarts for updates or issues) Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen. Prior, all windows stayed the same place and on the same screen. When I do restart it, things stay the way I want.

• primary monitor is on the left but I keep my taskbar at the top on the right monitor. Typically I would only have to reposition it when updating nvidia drivers.
    • programs that have been used prior to the switch do remember their window position as if nothing happened. Basically anything that has not been moved by windows while powering off the monitors remembers its position 100% of the time
    • no matter which monitor I turn (on or off) first or both at the same time they all move to one or the other
    • if I turn one off, they move to the other. when both are on it does remember the left is the primary monitor. if everything is on the right, when I turn the left back on it all moves to the left.
    • the wallpaper is a single image, dual 1080p. windows does not attempt to scale/stretch it when only one monitor is on
    • updating graphics driver did not resolve, so it's not likely some funky nvidia setting. I went through it anyway just in case.
    • when I turn one off, the other goes blank for a moment as if windows is rethinking about the whole of the display. I think if I could get it to stop doing that I could get to the root of the problem.
    • enable or disable DDC/CI in the monitor's settings has no effect.
    • I have removed the old monitors from device manager, the new monitors are named properly within display settings (correct model, capabilities, etc) but show up as Generic PnP Monitor in device manager. Updating the driver on this has no effect.
    • there was no other change to coincide with this; PC running, changed resolution on old monitors from 1200p to 1080p, then unplug and remove old monitors from desk, move new monitors onto desk & plug in. Everything else is 100% the same.
    • this was an upgrade from 7 pro to 10 pro 3-4 months ago. the issue has never been present until now so that should be irrelevant.
    • I can switch inputs on the monitor and the windows will not move to the other monitor.

Essentially it's the same type of behaviour if you use a laptop with a second monitor. This is a desktop however and definitely a desktop graphics card. The most annoying thing though is that if I have even one window on the right, then everything moves to the left, that one window never returns to the right. Contrasting that with my notebook from work that will remember window positions across 3 (2 external) monitors when docked if I undock it and later redock it.

I hope you can tell from this I have done a fair bit of troubleshooting and would not otherwise ask until I have exhausted the resources available. The real issue at hand is however I phrase the issue to describe what is happening the first several pages of results are more about how to use features in windows rather than how to troubleshoot this phenomenon. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

submitted by /u/professorcheechi
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/professorcheechi, Nov 21, 2019

2. Monitor Primary monitor layout switches upon second monitor power off

Hi alts63,

One of the possible reasons why your primary monitor layout switches is that the rotation lock option is turned on. In order to turn that off and fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Press Windows key + A on your keyboard to open Action Center.
    2. Click the Expand button.
    3. Click the Rotation lock to turn it off.

Let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Jesrael Bor, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Wacom Cintiq tablet has become primary display in place of monitor

Hi Daniel,

Multiple display monitors must be managed before turning off the computer. If you turn on the computer next time, it will search the primary monitor that you connected with it even if you remove it or not. Most monitors that have no plug and play features
    requires you to select a primary monitor every time you turn on the computer. To isolate your concern with your displays, we’d like to know the following:

• Current total number of monitors connected to your PC.
    • Number of monitors that is active for viewing.
    • The main display monitor you are using.
    • The make and model of all of your monitors.
    • If there is an option that select active displays in your desktop.
    We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Nov 28, 2019
  4. Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen

No display on monitor when TV set as primary display

Issue solved

Removed DVI/HDMI cable from computer and monitor

Step 1: Check if the VGA monitor cable is defective.

1. Turn off computer
    2. Connect the monitor VGA cable from the monitor to the VGA port on the computer
    3. Turn on computer, VGA monitor cable is good.

Step 2: Tun off computer
    1. Connect HDMI Cable to HDMI port and TV
    2. Turn on computer and TV, there is no monitor black screen
    3. Click on the Windows logo, select the Settings icon , and then select

System. Under Display there are two squares, labeled 1 and 2

D Click on Advanced Display Settings:

Display information: Display 1- Monitor Display 2 -TV

E Right-click the Speakers icon in
      the taskbar, select Sound, click on Playback devices,

a s tv screen with my brand shows
      AMD High Definition Audio Device ready.

F. Problem solved

Cause of the problem: Defective VGA port on the Syba VGA HD15+ 3.5 Audio to HDMI converter

Rooben Kajima, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen

1. Every time I turn off my monitors all my windows move to my primary screen - Similar Threads - Every turn off

2. My laptop with windows 11 crashes every time the screen is turned off/sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop with windows 11 crashes every time the screen is turned off/sleep: I have a laptop model Dell G155515. Recently, I bought an external monitor to use. Since then, I have perceived that when the computer enters sleep mode, if I try to turn on the system, nothing happens, then the system restarts.I have uploaded the dump file to my Google...
  3. Every time I switch monitors on my new laptop, all my windows get resized and moved into a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time I switch monitors on my new laptop, all my windows get resized and moved into a...: My laptop just got replaced. On my new laptop, all my windows get resized and moved into a silly geometry - every time I switch monitors. On my old laptop this was not the case both Win-10. How can I stop this behavior and have Windows keep the same geometry? This behavior is...
  4. Every time I switch monitors on my new laptop, all my windows get resized and moved into a...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Every time I switch monitors on my new laptop, all my windows get resized and moved into a...: My laptop just got replaced. On my new laptop, all my windows get resized and moved into a silly geometry - every time I switch monitors. On my old laptop this was not the case both Win-10. How can I stop this behavior and have Windows keep the same geometry? This behavior is...
  5. Every time I switch monitors on my new laptop, all my windows get resized and moved into a...

in Windows 10 Customization
  6. HDD disappearing every time I turn off my PC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    HDD disappearing every time I turn off my PC: I built my first desktop pc just a few weeks ago, I installed two m.2 nvme ssd and one HDD, and every time I turn off my PC the next time I turn it on the HDD dissapears and I have to assign it again loosing all the data on it. I verified the healt of the HDD and even tried...
  7. Dual monitors, all apps/windows move to primary monitor when display turns off for...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitors, all apps/windows move to primary monitor when display turns off for...: submitted by /u/MotorBoats [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hberh1/dual_monitors_all_appswindows_move_to_primary/
  8. My screen saver won't turn on and my monitor won't turn off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My screen saver won't turn on and my monitor won't turn off: Hi. This used to work on this computer. Now I notice it doesn't. Windows 10 running on a laptop. All cords are unplugged except for power cord. Monitor is set in settings to turn off after 3 minutes currently. With screen saver set to turn on after 2 minutes....
  9. Taskbar moves to the main monitor every time I turn them off for the night!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Taskbar moves to the main monitor every time I turn them off for the night!: [ATTACH] I've got two monitors: Arranged thusly: [2][1] My Taskbar slides out from [2] on the left of the display. Like so : [---> 2] It's great - I see all the windows names, and it slides back in so I can see my Widgets. Every time I turn the monitors off, it...
  10. If I Turn Off My Monitor, All Icons Move Back To The Left (Win 10)

in Windows 10 Support
    If I Turn Off My Monitor, All Icons Move Back To The Left (Win 10): Have seen similar issues posted but not this specific one... Brand new Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) Dell Desktop. Replaced old XP system (which ran like a swiss watch). If I turn off the monitor (which I do every night as I need the computer on 24/7) when I turn it on all...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Dual monitors default everytime I turn off the computer