Windows 10: Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?!

Discus and support Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?! in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I happened to have discovered from the last few months that there's some mysteriously unknown task schedule that happens to trigger Background... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BLaZiNgSPEED, Jul 7, 2021.

1. Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?!

Hello, I happened to have discovered from the last few months that there's some mysteriously unknown task schedule that happens to trigger Background Intelligent Transfer Service as well as SSDP Discovery to run in the background either at system start up or a few hours later. I kept a track of all the scheduled triggers. Started on System Startup Thursday 04/02/2021 4:02AM Wednesday 10/02/2021 12:48AM following update of Opera Web Browser and restart of PC. Thursday 11/02/2021 14:11PM system startup. Thursday 18/02/2021 19:48PM system startup. Thursday 25/02/2021 23:11PM system startup. Friday 05/03/2021 10:38AM system startup. Friday 12/03/2021 11:34AM 3 hours later. Friday 19/03/2021 12:53AM system startup. Friday 26/03/2021 18:34PM system startup. Saturday 03/04/2021 05:38AM system startup. I have discovered that indeed these happen on a weekly schedule. I uninstalled all Chromium web browsers. I don't even have Edge Chromium. I know that Chromium Web Browsers trigger Background Intelligent Transfer and SSDP discovery. So if I skip some of the days, the schedule will start on the following day. Now it is Monday that happens to be the trigger from recent weeks. Monday 28th of June 2021 and then 2 days ago Monday 5th of June 2021 once again BITS and SSDP Discovery started running in the background. This strange task schedule either starts 3-4 minutes after turning on the computer or several hours later exactly on a weekly basis only once. Considering I use only Waterfox, which is a Firefox web browser BITS and SSDP aren't triggered by non-chromium web browsers. Then how can I find out what schedule is triggering them to start on a weekly basis? Even if they only run for 2 minutes?

:)

BLaZiNgSPEED, Jul 7, 2021
  2. Yu Huang Win User

SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Jul 7, 2021
  3. Yu Huang Win User
    SSDP Discovery missing from Services.msc

Hi Expert,

Is there anyone could explain why the SSDP discovery service is missing from my WIN7 computer?

I am trying to turn on the network discovery, but it sees didn't work, then I following the Microsoft KB suggestions to start the below services:

• DNS Client
    • Function Discovery Resource Publication
    • SSDP Discovery
    • UPnP Device Host
    when I trying to start SSDP Discovery, I found the service is just missing from my computer, I got no idea about that.

I checked in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlset\Services\, no any key about the SSDP discovery service, then I export the KEY from one normal WIN7 PC, import to the one which got network discovery issue. But seems it's not working, I still cannot find the SSDP
    Discovery service in services.msc.

I have google so many troubleshooting, none of them worked for me. Please suggest,thanks!

Yu Huang, Jul 7, 2021
  4. Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?!

Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service

Hello Everyone,

Windows 10 1909 is stopping the SSDP Discovery service at random intervals, even if the service startup type is set to Automatic. This effectively makes my PC invisible to other PCs on the network.

The only way I've found around this problem is

1. Access Windows Services
    2. Find the the SSDP Discovery service. It will not be running.
    3. Restart the SSDP service. Ensure that the startup type is still set to Automatic. The PC is now visible on the network.
    4. Some time later, Windows 10 will arbitrarily stop SSDP Discovery again, and the PC will not be visible on the network. I repeat steps 1-3 to get it running again.

Why does Windows 10 do this? Do I have to keep re-starting the service this way in order to keep my PC visible on the network?

Thanks for your time,

Alan Mintaka, Jul 7, 2021
Thema:

Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?!

1. Every week BITS & SSDP Discovery run in the background! Any clue?! - Similar Threads - Every week BITS

2. Any clues please guys?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any clues please guys?: I have recently purchased a AMD Ryzen 5 4600G and am struggling with Bluetooth connectivity. Any clues guys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-clues-please-guys/be74329e-3449-499b-8625-73a02d21ab59
  3. Any clues please guys?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Any clues please guys?: I have recently purchased a AMD Ryzen 5 4600G and am struggling with Bluetooth connectivity. Any clues guys? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/any-clues-please-guys/be74329e-3449-499b-8625-73a02d21ab59
  4. SSDP messages

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SSDP messages: Windows 10 is sending multicast ssdp packets, on what purpose they are used and how to stop them? I have ssdp and upnp services disabled. From wireshark. ST: urn:dial-multiscreen-org:service:dial:1\r\n USER-AGENT: Microsoft Edge/85.0.564.70 Windows\r\n [Full request URI:...
  5. SSDP discovery could not start

SSDP discovery could not start: When I try to start the SSDP discovery, shows Error 1068: the dependency service or group failed to start. What shoud I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ssdp-discovery-could-not-start/e260d140-9318-4a54-a959-5fe97f7a834d
  6. Any chance to run 32 bit programs?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Any chance to run 32 bit programs?: Not a dig deal, just a program that used to come with an old game but anyway. The thing originally was 32 bit only, 1996 or so. Of course it comes as an installer package and, as expected, ''This program cannot run on your PC.'' There is an inbuilt 32 bit emulator in 64...
  7. BSOD Every Week

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD Every Week: Hi, I keep getting a Blue screen almost every week. I recently built this computer and all works well except every week or so i get a blue screen. Below is the link to the most recent dump files, system info and drivers...
  8. Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service

Windows 10 randomly stops SSDP Discovery service: Hello Everyone, Windows 10 1909 is stopping the SSDP Discovery service at random intervals, even if the service startup type is set to Automatic. This effectively makes my PC invisible to other PCs on the network. The only way I've found around this problem is 1. Access...
  9. SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break

in Windows 10 Support
    SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" Stuck on Starting - Apps & Downloads Break: Hello everyone, I've had this issue for over a year now and have tried asking other places with no luck. The issue is my Windows will randomly get stuck on starting the SSDPSRV "SSDP Discovery" service. I noticed this because on random cold starts my PC would sometimes not...
  10. Program runs in background but not launching. Used to work a week ago.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program runs in background but not launching. Used to work a week ago.: Hi all Recently upgraded from windows 8 to 10 fresh install ( 2 months ago) My problem: A program "Ulead Gif Animator" that used to work fine a week ago is suddenly not working anymore. I can see the process is running in background with Task manager but not launching on...