Windows 10: Everyone Wants Windows 10 Update Info, Microsoft Says No

Discus and support Everyone Wants Windows 10 Update Info, Microsoft Says No in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It's more to do with increased security making us feel less secure and less empowered - if there are more locks in evidence, and we have to go through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Fafhrd Win User

Everyone Wants Windows 10 Update Info, Microsoft Says No

It's more to do with increased security making us feel less secure and less empowered - if there are more locks in evidence, and we have to go through hoops to exit and enter our own space, we ourselves are less free.

Fafhrd, Sep 19, 2015

2. It's strange how the additional OS security features (which are loudly trumpeted) go hand-in-hand with increased OS (and other) surveillance "features" (which are rarely mentioned).

A few years ago, you were considered to be a "nut job" if you believed that the "Acronym Agencies" were monitoring and collecting all of your communications. Any accusations against these groups resulted in official blanket denials.

The weird thing is that corporations and politicians now regularly complain that the public see them as corrupt, lying, self-serving scumbags. *Confused

lehnerus2000, Sep 19, 2015
  3. While I agree in general, real life is not always that simple. A corporation may have mission-critical applications that simply have no modern replacement. That's an absurd position to be in - one that guarantees eventual failure - but it's not unheard of.

pokeefe0001, Sep 19, 2015
  4. Everyone Wants Windows 10 Update Info, Microsoft Says No

While Microsoft obviously cannot offer a Win10 solution for applications that doesn't run on Win10, it does offer options for enterprise customers who require a stable operating environment. The "Long Term Servicing Branch" option lets the enterprise defer all but security and patch updates for up to 10 years. (I don't know where driver updates fall in that plan. They may be considered "patches".) This option is apparently available only to enterprise volume customers. I think that's too bad because I think I would like it. No new "features" or "apps".

5. How many people would even comprehend the full explanation of the internals contained in the update in the first place. Would you really want to second guess the MS developers? Are you that smart. If so, what is your operating system offering. Might want to try it. Maybe. Let me think about it. Thread closed.

lopedoggie, Sep 19, 2015
  6. Actually, very few of us can comprehend the explanations, but when something odd happened after applying maintenance I often read the descriptions. I try to make sense of the new behavior in terms of the maintenance. If it looks like a fix caused the odd behavior, and the behavior is bothersome (whether intentional or not) I will pull off the fix. Usually I cannot make a connection between the behavior and the fixes, but occasionally I luck out.

I rarely read the descriptions before applying the maintenance, but I also never apply the maintenance as soon as it is released. (Even security patches.)

7. Trust_No1 Win User
    To all the naysayers, that say not everyone wants update information, I ask the simple question.

Given a choice of getting update information, or not getting update information, what would you chose?
    I for one, say, yes indeed give me the information.

Trust_No1, Sep 27, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Ok.. they stated in the article in the OP that "Everyone" wants this information. Everyone?? Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration?? I agree that there are people that would want this but what is the percentage of people who would want to know this?? I for one have no idea and I would guess that no one else can determine accurately what that percentage would be.

Bottom line is I for one am not a "naysayer" I just find it hard to believe that "everyone" wants that information. Would I want it.. yes but that's me and I don't know how many others would want it. I do know it's not "everyone".

Jeff

BunnyJ, Sep 27, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    Yes I go there, but... I see them as the FOX TV of the internet!*Doh*Roflmao2

Cliff S, Sep 27, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    I could agree that there are people who would want the update information but how many?? Seriously, there are likely more people who have no idea what the information that MS would supply means in the first place let alone they want to know about it.

I know that my girlfriend wouldn't need to know this and I bet that she's in the majority.

BunnyJ, Sep 27, 2015
  11. Cliff S New Member
    Jeff, I always have taken any update given me, then... only then, did I go look for what they were for, and that, only on Patch Tuesday*Smile. Now they're not published, I get back more "time" in my life, that won't be wasted looking for information that really didn't make a difference(to me) to know.

Cliff S, Sep 27, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    Well, I just went through all the updates I have (5), checked their pre-requesites and if they were superceeded and ended up with 2 that I needed to add to my install ISO (KB3081452 and KB3095020 at the moment).

I'd like to know what they do as dism with the /RestoreHealth /Source option didn't work as changes to the Edge browser released in KB3095020 aren't in my downloaded ISO.

It is a bit slow to have to check every single one so an indication of what is included would be nice.

When it comes to insider builds, it would be nice if they said what new functionality was released - but that would spoil the fun perhaps.

13. davexnet Win User

MS is trying to emulate Google. They want to get their users into that mind set. Just like Android.
    Switch on the phone, you quite often see Google this or that is being updated - don't give it a second thought.

davexnet, Sep 27, 2015
  14. I put "better Update info" in my comment on the "W10 wish list" thread (I can't remember the correct title).

IMO, "This update fixes an issue with Windows" doesn't count as Update info.

lehnerus2000, Sep 27, 2015
  15. Cliff S New Member
    Would it be better if it said "This update helps us better mine your data"?*Roflmao2

Cliff S, Sep 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Everyone Wants Windows 10 Update Info, Microsoft Says No - Similar Threads - Everyone Wants Update

2. Windows 10 upcoming update info

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 upcoming update info: Dear Microsoft,I have been seeing these days that Windows 10 is not getting a single UI revamp. In Windows 10 21H1 and 22H2, there were only new features for advanced users. The information about the upcoming 22H2 update is also not available. I have been using Windows 10...
  3. Windows 10 upcoming update info

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 upcoming update info: Dear Microsoft,I have been seeing these days that Windows 10 is not getting a single UI revamp. In Windows 10 21H1 and 22H2, there were only new features for advanced users. The information about the upcoming 22H2 update is also not available. I have been using Windows 10...
  4. Windows 10 upcoming update info

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 upcoming update info

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Windows 10 upcoming update info

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows 10 May 2020 Update is here, but not for everyone

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 May 2020 Update is here, but not for everyone: Windows 10 May 2020 Update released this week, but many users have complained that the update is not available when they check for updates in Windows Update or Update Assistant tool. The short answer is that it won’t show up for everyone if even they have compatible hardware...
  8. Microsoft’s updated News app for Windows 10 is now available for everyone

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft’s updated News app for Windows 10 is now available for everyone: Microsoft rebranded its MSN News app to Microsoft News last month and the company also tested the redesigned app for Windows 10 with Fast Ring Insiders. Today the new rebranded app for Windows 10 is available for regular users (non-Insiders). The app update adds acrylic to...
  9. MS Says Win 10 November Update Will Show Up for Everyone Very Soon

in Windows 10 News
    MS Says Win 10 November Update Will Show Up for Everyone Very Soon: The Media Creation Tool no longer works for TH2 Microsoft pulled the plug on Windows 10 November Update ISO download links and made the new version available exclusively via Windows Update for no clear reason, with some speculating that it’s because of the bugs found in...
  10. Microsoft Finally Agrees to Provide Info on Windows 10 Updates

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Finally Agrees to Provide Info on Windows 10 Updates: If you're already on Windows 10, you probably know that Microsoft doesn't provide any change log with the updates it releases for your operating system, aside from some very short mentions of “improvements and performance optimizations.” So it's absolutely no surprise that...