Windows 10: Everything extremely slow suddenly

Discus and support Everything extremely slow suddenly in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; My laptop was running fine up until about 2 days ago. Now it is extremely slow with everything including task manager and settings. Restarting doesn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/uraniumhexoflorite, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Everything extremely slow suddenly

My laptop was running fine up until about 2 days ago. Now it is extremely slow with everything including task manager and settings. Restarting doesn't help at all and I haven't installed anything recently. I've had malwarebytes do a full scan and it found nothing. The task manager shows that the hardware is nowhere near maxed out. Any ideas what could be causing this?

submitted by /u/uraniumhexoflorite
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/uraniumhexoflorite, Dec 9, 2020

2. Extremely slow pc suddenly windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 suddenly my pc is extremely slow any suggestions please

johnsonconnie, Dec 9, 2020
  3. Jumplist sometimes extremely slow

I bought a new laptop with Windows 10 recently.

Only after a few days, the jump lists started to get extremely slow.

But they behave that way just for a while, then they work as they should again.

When slow, it takes several minutes for the jump list to appear. It is extremely annoying. Especially e.g. when I have opened a remote desktop and want to open another one via the jumplist.

I had exactly the same problem with my old Windows 7 PC and assumed that I would get rid of that problem,
    changing both PC and OS, but no.

I do not want the standard answers to this problem:

- Disable Aero

- Clear the (Explorer) Cache for Jump lists

- etc.

It is definitely something else. I mean, how would the jump list cache get full after only a week? And why does the jump list get slow only sometimes and then suddenly works just fine again?

So please, give me an answer that takes this into consideration.

Anders Edvin, Dec 9, 2020
  4. Craig Win User

Everything extremely slow suddenly

Hard disk suddenly extremely slow

I will assume you mean that you are talking about your new 1TB Seagate.

My workday involves plugging hard drives into workstations for data destruction. Often, I come across hard drives that have the following problems that do not raise any errors from S.M.A.R.T. tests:

1. Very slow random write speed. This could be due to internal resistance on the spinning platters or resistance on the read/write head. Read speed is about 20% percent faster than the random write speed on a normal hard drive.
    2. Very loud metal scratching sound coming from the hard drive. I have had hard drives pass S.M.A.R.T. tests that sound like a car is dragging a metal body panel behind it.

Possible cause:

• Shock to your hard drive. Did you or a mail service drop it or accidently hit the drive on something? This could cause the drive to degrade rapidly.

Check:

• Check for programs making frequent read/write requests to the disk in activity monitor. Make sure no unwanted programs are tying up your disk in the background.
    • If activity monitor looks OK, check how long it takes to transfer a large file to the disk. It should be close to the drive's advertised write speed (this may be affected by how the drive is connected i.e. USB 3.0 versus SATA).

If your disk is unable to write close to its advertised speed (or the maximum speed of the connection type) with few interruptions from other programs, it may just be faulty or damaged.

Update:

Just came across this possible solution

Craig, Dec 9, 2020
Thema:

Everything extremely slow suddenly

1. Everything extremely slow suddenly - Similar Threads - Everything extremely slow

2. Internet extremely slow all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet extremely slow all of a sudden: My internet had been breaking up recently, and i've had to restart my router at least onc a day to get it back up and running--yet it's been running well nonetheless. But now it's as the title says. I've tried using a new adapter, resetting my computer, and resetting my...
  3. Internet extremely slow all of a sudden

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet extremely slow all of a sudden: My internet had been breaking up recently, and i've had to restart my router at least onc a day to get it back up and running--yet it's been running well nonetheless. But now it's as the title says. I've tried using a new adapter, resetting my computer, and resetting my...
  4. Sign in suddenly extremely slow

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Sign in suddenly extremely slow: All of a sudden my login process takes a minute or more from the point after I enter a valid password until the desktop opens.I have tried editing my startup preferences, which may have helped a second or two but not 60.I had accidentally invoked the dreaded 'log in with...
  5. Sign in suddenly extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sign in suddenly extremely slow: All of a sudden my login process takes a minute or more from the point after I enter a valid password until the desktop opens.I have tried editing my startup preferences, which may have helped a second or two but not 60.I had accidentally invoked the dreaded 'log in with...
  6. Sign in suddenly extremely slow

7. PC Suddenly became Extremly slow.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Suddenly became Extremly slow.: I was playing a game named For honor. After closing it I realised that my pc was running really slow for no reason. I checked Task manager and everything looked normal. I thought that It had to do something with Windows Updates so I installed the recent Update but that Didn't...
  8. PC Suddenly became Extremly slow.

PC Suddenly became Extremly slow.: I was playing a game named For honor. After closing it I realised that my pc was running really slow for no reason. I checked Task manager and everything looked normal. I thought that It had to do something with Windows Updates so I installed the recent Update but that Didn't...
  9. Everything extremely slow suddenly after last update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything extremely slow suddenly after last update: I have a HP Pavillion gaming laptop: 8gb ram, i5 9th Gen, Nvidia GTX1650 4gb. Everything was running perfectly and was very fast till yesterday, suddenly from today after a windows update, my gaming laptop is slower than a 4gig i3 notebook of mine. Even games like FIFA 19...
  10. computer suddenly become extremely slow?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    computer suddenly become extremely slow?: This morning I booted my laptop, wanted to watch a live stream. Everything was running like normal. All of a sudden the stream loaded as if I had no internet. Then I opened the task manager, PC was running a bit slower than usual. Taskmanager says: Disk usage 100%. So I...