Windows 10: Everything to Do and Not to do with an SSD drive

Discus and support Everything to Do and Not to do with an SSD drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello With the forum members input we could compile some good information here to benefit all in regards to SSD drives. 1) For example : Should I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by asusG, May 17, 2019.

1. asusG Win User

Everything to Do and Not to do with an SSD drive

Hello

With the forum members input we could compile some good information here to benefit all in regards to SSD drives.

1) For example : Should I defragment ( Optimize ) my SSD ?

Answer : No it can cause unnecessary wear which will reduce it's lifespan.

Because of the efficient technology functions of an SSD a defrag to improve performance is not required.

Also it is good idea to turn off Optimizer scheduler so Windows doesn't automatically Optimize.

There is different ways to turn off scheduler , Task scheduler, Command prompt , but I found the following way to be easy.

To turn off -

Near start button type in search area 'Defragment' > left click on Defragment and Optimize Drives > In Optimize Drives window lower right click Change Settings button > Uncheck Run on a schedule ( recommended ) > click ok > close

A few people , myself included would like to be familiar with SSD and benefit from the experience of members findings.

Everyone's input is appreciated*Smile

:)

asusG, May 17, 2019
  2. topgundcp Win User

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

@SamHobbs
    What you want done is very simple and can be done in short period of time. Here's my suggestion:
    There's 2 modes that Windows can be installed: UEFI and the old legacy MBR. Open Disk Management, look at the disk where your C drive is, if there's a
    1. EFI System Partition, your Windows was installed using UEFI.
    2. System Reserved partition, your Windows was installed using MBR
    Next, Connect your SSD to an available Sata port (no need to format or do anything). Download: Macrium Reflect Free . Install and run. Follow the steps below:
    1. From Macrium, click on image this disk under your C drive and save it to either an Internal or External Drive. This will create a single backup image of the whole disk containing your C drive.
    2. Again, from Macrium, click on Restore tab and select the image created from step 1, Select your SSD as the destination drive, click Next->Finish
    3. Exit Macrium. If your Windows was installed using MBR, Open disk management and make sure the SSD is marked "Active" else go to next step.
    4. Shutdown your PC. Disconnect the HD containing Windows C drive then connect your SSD to it.
    5. Reboot. Your PC should boot and the Windows should have C as the drive letter.

NOTE: The procedure above is to backup your Windows to an image file then copy it back to the SSD. This ensures proper cluster size aligment for the SSD. In addition, Macrium also perform Trimming for the SSD. This is more preferable than cloning.

topgundcp, May 17, 2019
  3. WesKlatt Win User
    Upgrading HP SSD drive on HP 750-524

I purchased an HP Envy tower with a 128Gb SSD which is where Windows is installed, I have purchased a new 1TB SSD drive that I would like to replace the 128 GB drive with. My machine did not come with the Windows 10 Media, what steps do I need to take before
    I install the new drive and install windows.

• Where do I get the Windows 10 install
    • What steps are needed to create an Install disk
    • Do I have to deactivate my old install before removing the old drive.
    Please let me know if there are any other considerations.

Best Regards,

Wes

WesKlatt, May 17, 2019
  4. Clintlgm Win User

Installing an SSD drive on my desktop to use as the C bootup drive

What are you talking about, I have Samsung 830 for 5 years and its still running great there is no issue with NTFS and SSD

To the OP all you have to do is use Macrium Reflect to clone your disk to your SSD you'll have to option to shrink your C partition before you start the actual clone check out this video
    it walks you through step by step

Clintlgm, May 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Everything to Do and Not to do with an SSD drive - Similar Threads - Everything SSD drive

2. do i have to do something for ssd installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    do i have to do something for ssd installation: hi, i newly bought a freedos laptop and did not do anything. then i bought a ssd for addition, now what will i do is to install second ssd into laptop and install windows 11 to laptops stock ssd. my laptops stock ssd 512 gb and one i will install is 1tb, i will only use 1 tb...
  3. do i have to do something for ssd installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    do i have to do something for ssd installation: hi, i newly bought a freedos laptop and did not do anything. then i bought a ssd for addition, now what will i do is to install second ssd into laptop and install windows 11 to laptops stock ssd. my laptops stock ssd 512 gb and one i will install is 1tb, i will only use 1 tb...
  4. How to do a fresh install w/ SSD as only drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to do a fresh install w/ SSD as only drive?: Im lost. I booted from the usb flash drive w/ the win10 install media on it created with the media tool, and it shows no drives to install windows to.How do you do a fresh install of windows on a Solid State Drive?thanks,-k...
  5. Everything is screwed beyond recognition, what do I do?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Everything is screwed beyond recognition, what do I do?: Basically my windows is slowly falling apart, small things stop working over time for example when I right click on a file to check its properties nothings opens. I didnt care but now I pretty much cant use my pc. sfc /scannow doesnt work anymore ("Windows Resource...
  6. How do you transfer everything from a hdd to an ssd on windows 10?

How do you transfer everything from a hdd to an ssd on windows 10?: I want to move all my files, including windows onto the ssd, is there a simple way of doing this submitted by /u/based_cum [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k38k5a/how_do_you_transfer_everything_from_a_hdd_to_an/
  7. How do you transfer everything from a hdd to an ssd on windows 10?

How do you transfer everything from a hdd to an ssd on windows 10?: I ordered a 1tb ssd a couple days ago so I could move all my games and most importantly windows onto it instead of my old 1tb hdd, and I need help figuring out how to move everything onto the ssd so I can use the hdd for storing other things like videos and images submitted...
  8. Yay I got an SSD drive for Xmas.....er WHAT do I do with it?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Yay I got an SSD drive for Xmas.....er WHAT do I do with it?: I, like alot of people, have been hearing about SSD drives for a while now but I've not had the money to get one as they always seemed to be way too expensive for me. However I have tried to keep up with the technology and how it's been changing and have seen recently that...
  9. NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    NO !! Do NOT Defrag SSD's !!: Should You Defrag an SSD? 77319
  10. How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I upgrade small SSD to larger SSD for C drive?: Hi, I need to upgrade my C drive from 256GB to 1TB. (both are SSD) I want to use Macrium Reflect Free Edition. Can I just create a system image onto an external drive, swap the drives, and reboot to restore the 256GB image onto the new 1TB drive? (instead of having both...